A redshirt year for Nolan/Facey? | The Boneyard

A redshirt year for Nolan/Facey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Both Nolan and Facey will be losing big minutes this year, at least in all likelihood. Since Miller is only going to be around for one year, would it behoove one of the two to redshirt for a season, work on their game, and come back with a better chance to play ball professionally when all is said and done?

Reaction Score
They are both in line to be backup positional players (PF and C) and it would greatly hurt our depth if either one of them took a redshirt year, especially given ABs tendency to get into foul trouble. No way this is going to happen.

Reaction Score
Both Nolan and Facey will be losing big minutes this year, at least in all likelihood. Since Miller is only going to be around for one year, would it behoove one of the two to redshirt for a season, work on their game, and come back with a better chance to play ball professionally when all is said and done?

It may be better for them, but is it better for the team? Nolan is our backup C at least to start the season and Facey gives us good depth at PF. If either of them redshirted we'd be thin in the frontcourt especially considering we have no idea what we'll get from Enoch.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
While Nolan shouldn't play more than 5-8 minutes per game, he'll still be important for when Miller and Brimah each pick up a couple of quick fouls. He has also not really improved in his first three years so it's doubtful a redshirt year would even help.

Facey is going to get regular minutes (~8) as a relatively important role playing backup.

Reaction Score
While Nolan shouldn't play more than 5-8 minutes per game, he'll still be important for when Miller and Brimah each pick up a couple of quick fouls. He has also not really improved in his first three years so it's doubtful a redshirt year would even help.

Facey is going to get regular minutes (~8) as a relatively important role playing backup.

If Facey doesn't improve it will be Nolan with more minutes. Whether people care to admit it he does position himself well on defense and is more physical than Kentan so his experience will be required closer to 10-15 minutes a game.

Reaction Score

You never know. Either or both could make huge improvements this year. Others may disappoint. When Kenton was a recruit many on this board thought he would play major minutes, even start, at center. Now you want him to redshirt as a junior. Let the players compete and let the best play.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No. Why redshirt nolan? And facey can be a very good player in this system if he stops looking like he's lost. He needs experience and confidence

Reaction Score
not a good idea. you are always a bad call or twisted ankle away from being short handed.

Reaction Score
You never know. Either or both could make huge improvements this year.
I'm pretty confident that the ship on "Nolan making huge improvements" sailed quite some time ago.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We all know Nolan's offense is quite literally terrible. Yet I have always liked what he brought on defense and intensity in limited minutes. I'll always remember Nolan from his great defense on Adrien Payne as well as his risky but satisfying late game open dunk against MSU in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
No clue why in the world we would redshirt those guys hurting our depth. If the staff doesn't think they are good enough we have plenty of scholarships to offer better players.

Reaction Score
If we have National Championship aspirations this year, no way we Redshirt either guy, as both Nolan & Facey give us great depth. I'm one who likes 5 Bigs for rebounds, protecting the paint, length & physical play. Fouls happen up front. They happen a lot with us. Some games Brimah has early foul trouble, but having Nolan & Enoch behind him makes me feel confident we can stay in the game (that's 15 fouls). I think Miller starts at PF, but he can have Facey & Enoch behind him there. Enoch is the X-factor since he can probably back up either position. Nice to have options. I'd rather D.Ham as a last resort PF this year. I want D.Ham creating for his teammates as the SF, rather than covering guys 20-30 lbs heavier than him in the paint. D. Ham is better used as a perimeter player. 3 skilled perimeter guys & 2 bigs up front gives us lots of options when we play 5 x 5. Depth is key when you want to contend!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The depth this year among guards and bigs is fairly robust. But I don't think they would want to use a redshirt unless someone has a nagging injury that will hinder them for the season (then trading the depth for health + depth next year would make more sense).

C

Chief00

I believe one of the new rules may limit perhaps what Nolan does best (take charges). But, he is a relatively big body to throw into the mix and in certain games that can really help.

Facey can be a little better than people give him credit for given some hard work and confidence. Quite frankly, I am not predicting that - but if he did leverage those characteristics - he could improve significantly. If he puts it on cruise control during his minutes next year - Miller and Enoch will just get more minutes.

Reaction Score
While it might work out better for everyone in the future... that future is now.

C

Chief00

In basketball I have always been skeptical of people who over emphasize the importance of depth. True coaches love it for practice etc - but basketball is really about 3 guys putting the ball in the basket a lot.

Reaction Score
The depth is important, and what might be even more important is not gumming up the scholarship works. You keep Nolan or Facey around for an extra year, that's one fewer big you can bring in in 2016 or 2017. Ideally we'll get a stud or two who will be better than both of them, right off the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom