A Recruiting Plan B? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Recruiting Plan B?

Reaction Score
It is very tricky with highly ranked recruits like Brunelle and Amihere. If Coach Auriemma didn't see the potential for them to be good players, I understand why he did not offer them even as a Plan B, If you fail to develop Top 10 level players it effects your recruiting going forward. Kids judge a program by how player A or player B developed while they were here. If Brunelle and Amihere failed to develop into good players that can be a big turnoff for future recruits.

I wonder what MM saw in her that Geno did not?

Reaction Score
Fortunately, on the women's side, they can rely on male practice players when need be. I'd prefer to bank what scholarships they have, rather than spend them on too many Molly Bent style kids. This is not a knock on MB; you absolutely need this type of kid, but you can't have an entire bench of them.
Actually you can't because there are limitations. For example, the male practice players can't travel with the team, and Geno has them dialed down in practice in terms of how hard they can go. The male practice players certainly have their place, but they aren't part of the team. That's how we ended up with Lawlor and Pulido.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Horston was a case of getting involved too late.
@MilfordHusky I trying put together a set of complete thoughts about the tea leaves that we may be mis reading. @Sluconn Husky is going to have to help me out but regarding being late to the Horston party I went back and checked some notes and that may not be accurate.
UCONN first contact with Jordan Horston might have been as early as November of 2015. We can infer this because UCONN played in her hometown against Ohio state and Jordan said she saw UCONN practice a couple of times.
UCONN interest in Haley Jones did not begin until December of 17 when she blew up at the TOC in Arizona and her team ascended to #1 in the country. Prior to that Haley was just another very talented wing in a class with many others. Recall that Haley did not make USA basketball team summer of 2017 which was the first Berube coached team. Dec of 2017 is also noteworthy because it was around this time (Jan of 18) that Brunelle visited and was ready to commit, allegedly.
So if we are going to say that UCONN was late to get in on Horston then we also have to say it was late getting in on Haley Jones.

Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky I trying put together a set of complete thoughts about the tea leaves that we may be mis reading. @Sluconn Husky is going to have to help me out but regarding being late to the Horston party I went back and checked some notes and that may not be accurate.
UCONN first contact with Jordan Horston might have been as early as November of 2015. We can infer this because UCONN played in her hometown against Ohio state and Jordan said she saw UCONN practice a couple of times.
UCONN interest in Haley Jones did not begin until December of 17 when she blew up at the TOC in Arizona and her team ascended to #1 in the country. Prior to that Haley was just another very talented wing in a class with many others. Recall that Haley did not make USA basketball team summer of 2017 which was the first Berube coached team. Dec of 2017 is also noteworthy because it was around this time (Jan of 18) that Brunelle visited and was ready to commit, allegedly.
So if we are going to say that UCONN was late to get in on Horston then we also have to say it was late getting in on Haley Jones.

many knew about Horston fairly early but she was a far different player.............I think Geno only decided to get serious with her months later when she developed into a much less selfish and less mistake prone player............

Reaction Score
There is typically only a small handful of players that wait until signing week to announce where they’re headed. It’s a little like musical chairs. Nobody wants to be left without a seat.

ND only secured 2 commitments, both of whom are talented, and both of whom committed soon after visiting UConn and likely learning that the Huskies weren’t offering at that time. ND was still in the hunt for Jones and Boston, but when they didn’t get either, it wasn’t quite the letdown that the Huskies faced.
I've seen this state of denial several times. Tell me what evidence there is that UConn turned down Peoples especially. Who pledged to ND as sophomore. The whole thing has gotten to the point absurdity. The spin after Brunelle was that it was because of some in with Jones. Jones father was proudly displaying her Stanford pre-acceptance letter online months ago. It was never going to be UConn. UVA folks say that Brunelle wanted to verbal to ND in November of 2017 but was talked out of it by her parents who wanted to give UVA a chance. These girls preferred other schools. Drive on for God's sake.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've seen this state of denial several times. Tell me what evidence there is that UConn turned down Peoples especially. Who pledged to ND as sophomore. The whole thing has gotten to the point absurdity. The spin after Brunelle was that it was because of some in with Jones. Jones father was proudly displaying her Stanford pre-acceptance letter online months ago. It was never going to be UConn. UVA folks say that Brunelle wanted to verbal to ND in November of 2017 but was talked out of it by her parents who wanted to give UVA a chance. These girls preferred other schools. Drive on for God's sake.
Wow! For someone who just started posting a month ago, you sure do have a lot to complain about.

Peoples paid an unofficial visit to UConn in the fall of 2016, after which a UConn beat reporter quoted her saying she had a new goal to be offered a scholarship by UConn. Shea saw her play in December and there was no further contact reported when in early 2017 Peoples accepted a scholarship to ND.

Brunelle paid an unofficial visit to UConn in January of this year. Shortly thereafter a friend or family member using the handle “Dolphin” started posting on the BY, indicating that UConn had withdrawn their offer and that Brunelle would be announcing for ND. Whether or not Brunelle ever had an offer from UConn is disputable, but her announcement for ND in March via her mother’s Facebook page, when she had previously planned to announce in the fall, appears to have been in response to learning UConn was no longer interested.

Now that’s all I have time for. The 2nd half of UConn-Depaul is on.

Reaction Score
Geno has a clear view of the type of player/person/family he believes fits his program. I admire this. it works. Gives good team chemistry. I'd be surprised if he took transfers except possibly grad ones. He was never keen on them and i think Z confirmed this feeling of his.

Reaction Score
While I am likely in the minority, I believe the Boston loss in part started with the Magbegor, recruiting. While likely not Geno's opinion, much of the public sentiment was get Magbegor at all costs and Boston would need to fit in. I can see how Boston, who until this point seemed to be a heavy UConn lean, could see this and start to look elsewhere. Whether true or not, there is a lot of international talent out there that may love to play for one of the top programs in the US, live near two great US cities, Boston and NYC, and learn how to play pro basketball. Plan B?

Reaction Score
Geno has a clear view of the type of player/person/family he believes fits his program. I admire this. it works. Gives good team chemistry. I'd be surprised if he took transfers except possibly grad ones. He was never keen on them and i think Z confirmed this feeling of his.
Geno takes transfers. He's had a number of them over the years. It was said pregame that he wasn't surprised about Jones staying home, disappointed but not surprised, and that he would take transfers if the situation were right. Pretty consistent with what he has said in the past.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, on the women's side, they can rely on male practice players when need be. I'd prefer to bank what scholarships they have, rather than spend them on too many Molly Bent style kids. This is not a knock on MB; you absolutely need this type of kid, but you can't have an entire bench of them.
Sorry, Dude, but while harsh, unless a player can grow into a significant role at UConn, there should not be a place for her. This is major league basketball and unless you can start, be a top sub, or make the team better through your practice skills, UConn does not give participation trophies.

Reaction Score
many knew about Horston fairly early but she was a far different player...I think Geno only decided to get serious with her months later when she developed into a much less selfish and less mistake prone player..
Would love to see Geno recruit a Top 50 or Top 100 player(s) and coach them up to National Title status. He, CD, etc. certainly have those skills. I love that we have 3 of the past 4 year's number 1 results but Miss State, SC and NC have proven that is not the primary asset needed to win it all.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Sorry, Dude, but while harsh, unless a player can grow into a significant role at UConn, there should not be a place for her. This is major league basketball and unless you can start, be a top sub, or make the team better through your practice skills, UConn does not give participation trophies.

I'm sure that's what UCONN thought when they recruited her, that there was a role for her to play on the team with her skill set.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

They've always had a girl or two on the team to fill that role. You can't play 13. Somebody has to get next to no minutes. There's other benefits to having players like this on the team, one being that these kids bust their arse 24/7 for no payoff and bring a great attitude -> the better players have no excuses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom