A Recruiting Plan B? | The Boneyard

A Recruiting Plan B?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
About a year ago, Carl Adamec wrote the attached article which pretty much sums up Geno’s recruiting strategy: USA U-16 stars Bueckers, Fudd get UConn offers. To summarize, UConn identifies who they want early on, spends all their time and energy on those recruits, rolls the dice and might just come up empty. As I’ve said many times, UConn WBB recruiting is not for the faint of heart.

Geno suggests that he “doesn’t have a Plan B” when it comes to recruiting. That’s not entirely accurate. I would suggest that the signings of Kyla and Molly, the transfers of Nat, Z and Touly and even the pursuit of Ezi Magbegor were all Plan B’s. But Plan B is never as good as a successful Plan A.

I believe Aubrey Griffin has a tremendous upside and I’m very pleased she’s a Husky. But losing the #2, #3 & #1 players in the class in succession is hard to accept for a program that almost always secures a top recruiting class.

It remains to be seen if UConn makes changes to their recruiting strategy and/or works more aggressively to fill the impending void with transfers. Until then, UConn can only play the players they have and hope for much better recruiting luck in the future.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Haley was a challenge, but not impossible. She could have followed Lou's path.

Horston was a case of getting involved too late.

Boston is still a surprise to me.

Magbegor was a case of Lauren Jackson, her GM, influencing her.

Collier had special circumstances, including her father's death and a historic hurricane.

I think Amihere and Brunelle would have been a good Plan B.

Geno likes the 2020 kids a lot. He needs to get them!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is typically only a small handful of players that wait until signing week to announce where they’re headed. It’s a little like musical chairs. Nobody wants to be left without a seat.

ND only secured 2 commitments, both of whom are talented, and both of whom committed soon after visiting UConn and likely learning that the Huskies weren’t offering at that time. ND was still in the hunt for Jones and Boston, but when they didn’t get either, it wasn’t quite the letdown that the Huskies faced.

Reaction Score
The transfers angle is an interesting one to me. I would think that might increasingly be used to fill big gaps in the roster. What overachieving post player on an underachieving team would not be highly tempted by the prospect of being a difference-maker at the Final Four, especially if she didn't have to sit out a year (i.e. a graduate student).

No doubt about it, next year is going to be tough for the Huskies. If I were Geno, I'd make defense a major point of focus, as it can be a great equalizer when you don't have as much offensive talent on your team. That's an area where his incoming players start at no disadvantage, and where Geno's superior coaching could deliver the most upside. Next year's team probably won't be able to drop 80 points a lot of nights, but may well be able to stop most opponents from doing the same. The good news is that based on what we saw in the Paradise Jam, Geno already appears to be heading down this road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
About a year ago, Carl Adamec wrote the attached article which pretty much sums up Geno’s recruiting strategy: USA U-16 stars Bueckers, Fudd get UConn offers. To summarize, UConn identifies who they want early on, spends all their time and energy on those recruits, rolls the dice and might just come up empty. As I’ve said many times, UConn WBB recruiting is not for the faint of heart.

Geno suggests that he “doesn’t have a Plan B” when it comes to recruiting. That’s not entirely accurate. I would suggest that the signings of Kyla and Molly, the transfers of Nat, Z and Touly and even the pursuit of Ezi Magbegor were all Plan B’s. But Plan B is never as good as a successful Plan A.

I believe Aubrey Griffin has a tremendous upside and I’m very pleased she’s a Husky. But losing the #2, #3 & #1 players in the class in succession is hard to accept for a program that almost always secures a top recruiting class.

It remains to be seen if UConn makes changes to their recruiting strategy and/or works more aggressively to fill the impending void with transfers. Until then, UConn can only play the players they have and hope for much better recruiting luck in the future.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oldude-love the post and while I am almost always unanimous in agreement, I question you for some clarity on this last part you posted above:
"It remains to be seen if UConn makes changes to their recruiting strategy and/or works more aggressively to fill the impending void with transfers."

If I understand this correctly, the staff has hit upon gold in KML, Stewie/Mo/Tuck, Nurse/Williams, Samuelson/Collier, Dangerfield, Megan, CW/Ono and to some degree Chong all in the last 8 classes. And you want to question whether their strategy should change? Something does not compute.

From the transfer perspective, my view is that is more luck than planning as you just don't know who will be available to pursue. The window is very short (March-May) and is completely unknown at this point. That said, any 4th year player (preferably a post) who is graduating that is any good should absolutely consider UConn as they will have a need.

I say that while disappointing, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. IF this happens 3 years in a row, then yes, time to reassess the generational aspect of recruiting. Until then, follow the Bruce Springsteen lyrics with me from Thunder Road "Show a little faith, there's magic in the night, You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're alright, Oh, and that's alright with me".

Go Huskies!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude-love the post and while I am almost always unanimous in agreement, I question you for some clarity on this last part you posted above:
"It remains to be seen if UConn makes changes to their recruiting strategy and/or works more aggressively to fill the impending void with transfers."

If I understand this correctly, the staff has hit upon gold in KML, Stewie/Mo/Tuck, Nurse/Williams, Samuelson/Collier, Dangerfield, Megan, CW/Ono and to some degree Chong all in the last 8 classes. And you want to question whether their strategy should change? Something does not compute.

From the transfer perspective, my view is that is more luck than planning as you just don't know who will be available to pursue. The window is very short (March-May) and is completely unknown at this point. That said, any 4th year player (preferably a post) who is graduating that is any good should absolutely consider UConn as they will have a need.

I say that while disappointing, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. IF this happens 3 years in a row, then yes, time to reassess the generational aspect of recruiting. Until then, follow the Bruce Springsteen lyrics with me from Thunder Road "Show a little faith, there's magic in the night, You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're alright, Oh, and that's alright with me".

Go Huskies!
You are right of course. But with some glaring openings in the lineup next season, UConn has only one recruit to fill the void. It would be nice to have a little more depth.

Reaction Score
HCGA has been at this a long time. I trust that he'll do what he needs to do to bring talent here. With that being said, the recruiting game appears to be changing. There was a time when the competition for the top talent was Tennessee and Notre Dame. There are at least 15 schools that compete with us for recruits now. Oregon, Louisville, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Maryland, Ohio State, Mississippi State, and South Carolina come to mind. The game may have change, but I am confident that this coaching staff will adapt.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really hope we can at least get some one (Can there be an international route?) so that Aubrey is not alone in a 1 student class. :(

It is much better if there is a classmate going through the same challenges to help you through the rigors of UConn.

Reaction Score
I really hope we can at least get some one (Can there be an international route?) so that Aubrey is not alone in a 1 student class. :(

It is much better if there is a classmate going through the same challenges to help you through the rigors of UConn.
Geno could always look at adding a Walk-on.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
HCGA has been at this a long time. I trust that he'll do what he needs to do to bring talent here. With that being said, the recruiting game appears to be changing. There was a time when the competition for the top talent was Tennessee and Notre Dame. There are at least 15 schools that compete with us for recruits now. Oregon, Louisville, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Maryland, Ohio State, Mississippi State, and South Carolina come to mind. The game may have change, but I am confident that this coaching staff will adapt.
Is not that what he is saying? The coaching staff needs to adapt to the changing landscape of WCBB recruiting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I agree, but Kelly Ferris managed pretty well as a one person class, and Saniya Chong added a walk-on, Tierney Lawlor.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here as well (or instead):

This may have been discussed ad nauseum (haven't read the whole thread), but Geno really needs to expand his recruiting profile. The really is, other schools are far more competitive draws than they used to be. A lot more options for kids.

If he doesn't expand, he's gonna be looking at thin classes more regularly than not. He'll still land studs, because he's Geno, but you gotta adapt and change with the times. All great coaches do, see Bill Belichick for example.

They really missed out on a few kids I would have loved the last few years. Ogunbowale comes to mind. Really toughminded, ballsy kids. Taurasi mentality. Maybe a little selfish, but could be taught to play within the team structure.

Also, we recruit a lot of really nice kids, but I'd love to see some mean streaks.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree, but Kelly Ferris managed pretty well as a one person class, and Saniya Chong added a walk-on, Tierney Lawlor.

Can't have too many of those 1-2 person classes though. Then it requires a monster class to right the ship.

Reaction Score
Haley was a challenge, but not impossible. She could have followed Lou's path.

Horston was a case of getting involved too late.

Boston is still a surprise to me.

Magbegor was a case of Lauren Jackson, her GM, influencing her.

Collier had special circumstances, including her father's death and a historic hurricane.

I think Amihere and Brunelle would have been a good Plan B.

Geno likes the 2020 kids a lot. He needs to get them!

well according to the gossips UConn pulled back on both of them or maybe it was the other way around................we'll never know

Reaction Score
Besides adding another great kid and adding to the roster, how does that help the team?

UConn may not win another national championship but their team GPA might make it to the final four....................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Besides adding another great kid and adding to the roster, how does that help the team?
Well, it does give UConn 10 players for practice next year if Touly does not return for a 5th year.

Reaction Score
well according to the gossips UConn pulled back on both of them or maybe it was the other way around......we'll never know

It is very tricky with highly ranked recruits like Brunelle and Amihere. If Coach Auriemma didn't see the potential for them to be good players, I understand why he did not offer them even as a Plan B, If you fail to develop Top 10 level players it effects your recruiting going forward. Kids judge a program by how player A or player B developed while they were here. If Brunelle and Amihere failed to develop into good players that can be a big turnoff for future recruits.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, it does give UConn 10 players for practice next year if Touly does not return for a 5th year.

Fortunately, on the women's side, they can rely on male practice players when need be. I'd prefer to bank what scholarships they have, rather than spend them on too many Molly Bent style kids. This is not a knock on MB; you absolutely need this type of kid, but you can't have an entire bench of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom