A record setting night | The Boneyard

A record setting night

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's rare you beat a 70 year old record by 30 yards....

Wain will hopefully have a long reign with his new record in punting yardage.

On the bright side at least UConn might put someone on the All-Conference team.

Reaction Score
Tonight was our turn! Success in special teams once again!

Did Ward set any records for UH?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Maybe for completion percentage. I don't think David Klinger and Andre Ware were in danger tonight of their single game records being broken.

You forget how many QBs they have had at Houston. Actually...I forget sometimes how long Houston has been a relevant program. People like to think Herman put this program on the map...but it's been on the map for years.

Reaction Score
Maybe for completion percentage. I don't think David Klinger and Andre Ware were in danger tonight of their single game records being broken.

If you put a minimum number of passes, it is probably the highest completion percentage. Without the minimum, probably not. UH ran the Veer for 20+ years. I'd bet that at least one QB had a 2 for 2 type night.

Not even close for single game yardage records. At UH, you have to have 400+ yards just to crack the top 50. UH record is 716 yards (David Klingler). Klingler averaged a ridiculous 467 yards per game in a season.

Oddly Andre Ware doesn't have any of the top 12 yardage games, probably because he rarely played more than a half his Heisman year. His highest yardage game is 517 yards, all in the first half.

And while Ware and Klinger were mentioned, and Klingler has 4 of the top 10 UH yardage games, don't forget Case Keenum who also has 4 of the top 10. He's the holder of almost every career NCAA passing record

Reaction Score
It's rare you beat a 70 year old record by 30 yards....

Wain will hopefully have a long reign with his new record in punting yardage.

On the bright side at least UConn might put someone on the All-Conference team.

Jim Fuller@NHRJimFuller 2 hours ago
Justin Wain's 493 punting yards was #UConn record, it was well short of NCAA mark of 1,318 set by Texas Tech's Charlie Calhoun in '36

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco probably loves the old Illinois games where the team that got scored against would choose to kick off to Illinois and Red Grange would score like 4 plays later. Down 40-0 they would keep kicking off

Reaction Score
You forget how many QBs they have had at Houston. Actually...I forget sometimes how long Houston has been a relevant program. People like to think Herman put this program on the map...but it's been on the map for years.

Bill Yeoman, Robert Newhouse, Warren McVea. . . .a great underappeciated history

Reaction Score
Anyway, nice run by this guy last night:

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Jason Thompson Bio :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Football

sheltonfb.jpg

Reaction Score
If you put a minimum number of passes, it is probably the highest completion percentage. Without the minimum, probably not. UH ran the Veer for 20+ years. I'd bet that at least one QB had a 2 for 2 type night.
Oh man. Well, congrats on the win. Our coach has serious issues.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Justin Wain's 493 punting yards was #UConn record, it was well short of NCAA mark of 1,318 set by Texas Tech's Charlie Calhoun in '36
That is the punting yardage record for one game?!?!?

How #@& can one player possibly punt for thirteen hundred yards in one game?

Reaction Score

I'm glad i am not the only one asking that question. What the hell!

Reaction Score

Most punts, game:
FBS: 36 – Charlie Calhoun, Texas Tech vs. Centenary (LA), Nov. 11, 1939

Most punting yards, game:
FBS: 1,318 – Charlie Calhoun, Texas Tech vs. Centenary (LA) Nov. 11, 1939

Crazy... 36.6 yd punt avg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Justin did his job and did it well. He deserves even dubious awards for that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Most punts, game:
FBS: 36 – Charlie Calhoun, Texas Tech vs. Centenary (LA), Nov. 11, 1939

Most punting yards, game:
FBS: 1,318 – Charlie Calhoun, Texas Tech vs. Centenary (LA) Nov. 11, 1939

Crazy... 36.6 yd punt avg
Logically a team should punt on at most 25% of their plays in any game. I don't see how a team could run 108 offensive plays (not including fourth down) in a game, especially in the late 1930's.

They had to have punted on a lot of second and third downs.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Don't say that around our coach, we don't need to be giving him any ideas.
Apparently, he was already tipped off before the game. On punting from midfield or better on consecutive 4th quarter possessions:
“Part of that, especially the last one, I wanted to get the defensive players that ‘next man in’ in,” Diaco said. “I wanted them to play, I didn’t want to the offensive line to play another series, I wanted to get them out of the game and players on the sideline, I wanted to get into the game so that was the reason for that, it was thought through.”

Logic.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Still pre-season apparently.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Apparently, he was already tipped off before the game. On punting from midfield or better on consecutive 4th quarter possessions:
“Part of that, especially the last one, I wanted to get the defensive players that ‘next man in’ in,” Diaco said. “I wanted them to play, I didn’t want to the offensive line to play another series, I wanted to get them out of the game and players on the sideline, I wanted to get into the game so that was the reason for that, it was thought through.”

Logic.
Clown show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member