A reasonable football question regarding the Maryland game | The Boneyard

A reasonable football question regarding the Maryland game

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
So, UCONN beat Maryland last year in Maryland. This week, they get UM at the Rent.
Have either teams personnel changed significantly that we should expect a different result?
Football-wise, are either team running different (better?) schemes?
This isn't a transient type question (you know, we beat X, X beat, Y and Y beat USC, so we are better than USC) - Is the Maryland team improved enough to visit the Rent and beat the Huskies?

F

fortebleedsblue

Short answer yes.. Maryland has improved while Uconn regressed. Edsall coaches players up deleone and pasqualoni coach down. Last year Maryland was missing Brown at QB who is a true dual threat... Fast. He has several big time WR's, among that group is Stephon Diggs, who is an athletic freak. Edsall hasn't been as conservative on offense... Where as pasqualoni is still running MCCombs like he's a bama RB behind Deleones Oline. I think MCCombs is a capable running back but he needs to be complimented with our other RB's like Hypoilite and not run up the middle so much. Defensively Maryland looks very good as well. Football is a weird sport but I have a string feeling I know how this one is going to turn out. Like I said before Towson after posting my open practice notes... We'll see once they hit the field.

Reaction Score
It's great to read that you're recovering, as evidenced by just coming out of a coma. To address your question, an update on UCONN football can be found in the paper or on the internet.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. MD has CJ Brown back at qb after losing him for the season last year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Short answer yes.. Maryland has improved while Uconn regressed. Edsall coaches players up deleone and pasqualoni coach down. Last year Maryland was missing Brown at QB who is a true dual threat... Fast. He has several big time WR's, among that group is Stephon Diggs, who is an athletic freak. Edsall hasn't been as conservative on offense... Where as pasqualoni is still running MCCombs like he's a bama RB behind Deleones Oline. I think MCCombs is a capable running back but he needs to be complimented with our other RB's like Hypoilite and not run up the middle so much. Defensively Maryland looks very good as well. Football is a weird sport but I have a string feeling I know how this one is going to turn out. Like I said before Towson after posting my open practice notes... We'll see once they hit the field.

As good a response to the question as you can get. Agree on all points. Brown being back at QB may very well be a big difference maker. Maryland appears to have some fire power. UConn very little.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for UConn, but from a MD perspective, night and day.

QB - Brown is a 5th year grad student who will get a 6th year due to medical. Last year, Hills was starting his 3rd collegiate game as a true freshmen. Put it in perspective, Hills is now listed #4 on the depth chart. Also, Hills was "0" threat to run the ZR where as Brown runs a 4.5 40 and will take it from 80 if given the space. (9 TD's this year by Brown with 4 being by the ZR qb.)

RB - not much changed other than Reid/Ross were both true fresh and red fresh playing in their first games. Brown, who did well last year is out.

WR - Diggs, we all know about but Deon Long was a 5* JUCO WR last year and has similar skills. He torched FIU in game 1 and then ODU 2x Long and Brown, thus Ross and Diggs had big days. Not too many D1 schools line up 2 5* Wr's and this will create heart ache for many db's. Nigel King is the 3rd and is the #2 on many teams.

D - not a huge change from last year other than being the 2nd year in scheme under this DC. That said, as you are probably finding out, 1st year schemes are tough. Big losses are Vellano and Francis who both play for the Patriots but we have more speed at lb and db than in years past. Up front, we are not huge but big enough and much faster. Our DL goes 6 deep thus rotating the smaller guys. Your OL will have some size on them. We are 275, 310 and 275.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom