A Realistic Change that Needs to Happen Now | The Boneyard

A Realistic Change that Needs to Happen Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I think everyone on the face of the planet knows "HC"PP is done, it's just a matter of when. My first choice for his dismissal would have been 2 years ago. My second choice would be in 20 minutes.

But realistically, it will probably be announced at a press conference the day after getting run out of our own building by Rutgers, sitting 2-9, that PP will not be back next season.

Something that can and ABSOLUTELY HAS TO happen before the end of the day, is the termination of GDL from his employment with this University.

Reinstall Mike Foley to OL/TE coach, and let TJ Weist actually have full control over the offense. I don't believe for a second that Weist was given the reins to call the offense he wanted and use the personnel effectively. I see GDL/PP all over that gameplan. They're rubbing it right in the face of Warde, this fan base, and the future of the football program.

I want PP and GDL fired immediately, but I'm a reasonable man. I'll accept just one for now. Immediately.

Reaction Score
I think everyone on the face of the planet knows "HC"PP is done, it's just a matter of when. My first choice for his dismissal would have been 2 years ago. My second choice would be in 20 minutes.

But realistically, it will probably be announced at a press conference the day after getting run out of our own building by Rutgers, sitting 2-9, that PP will not be back next season.

Something that can and ABSOLUTELY HAS TO happen before the end of the day, is the termination of GDL from his employment with this University.

Reinstall Mike Foley to OL/TE coach, and let TJ Weist actually have full control over the offense. I don't believe for a second that Weist was given the reins to call the offense he wanted and use the personnel effectively. I see GDL/PP all over that gameplan. They're rubbing it right in the face of Warde, this fan base, and the future of the football program.

I want PP and GDL fired immediately, but I'm a reasonable man. I'll accept just one for now. Immediately.

I agree with pretty much all of this. However, keeping PP on for even those 20 minutes shows the players, fans, university and state that we don't care enough about this program.

You know, if PP committed some atrocious crime (ala AH), he'd be relieved of his duties immediately - the players or the team be damned. The program would have to figure out a way to carry on without him. So, no I do not believe it would be harmful at all to fire PP now. Get him gone before he suffocates the life out of this program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Give the keys to Weist or Hughes for the time being with an interim. Offer both of them the opportunity to be considered for the HC. Interview and hire the best available.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Weist for Interim Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. Give him a 11/12th full year trial and if he can re-energize this pathetic team and lethargic fanbase, the job is his.

GDL should have been fired years ago. How he is still employed at UCONN is beyond fathomable.

Reaction Score
Weist for Interim Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. Give him a 11/12th full year trial and if he can re-energize this pathetic team and lethargic fanbase, the job is his.

GDL should have been fired years ago. How he is still employed at UCONN is beyond fathomable.

Yes - can't understand the GDL situation unless he has pictures of somebody.

Reaction Score
Give the keys to Weist or Hughes for the time being with an interim. Offer both of them the opportunity to be considered for the HC. Interview and hire the best available.

Assuming Hughes put together the defensive game plan, we need an alternative option.

EDIT: I meant to write... May need an alternative... As I like hank too

Reaction Score
I like Hank. But it may just be time for a fresh start on both sides. Foley has been neutered by this regime. A clean break after this year may benefit both parties. I'm looking at cleaning house at this point. To hell with continuity. Hire a HC and let him bring in his staff.

The name that I'm intrigued with....Mike Bellotti. I have no idea if he's itching to get back into coaching.....but he's the guy that really put Oregon on the map. I'd be kicking those tires right now. See if he's open to taking over in Dec.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like Hank. But it may just be time for a fresh start on both sides. Foley has been neutered by this regime. A clean break after this year may benefit both parties. I'm looking at cleaning house at this point. To hell with continuity. Hire a HC and let him bring in his staff.

The name that I'm intrigued with....Mike Bellotti. I have no idea if he's itching to get back into coaching.....but he's the guy that really put Oregon on the map. I'd be kicking those tires right now. See if he's open to taking over in Dec.
Agree 100%. Clean house.

How old is Bellotti? I'd look for a 40-ish HC. Maybe the Buccaneers have a meh season, then I'd make a run at (I can't believe I'm saying this) Greg Schiano. Yeah he sucks on gameday, but he would recruit very well, be visible, high energy, get the fanbase excited, get the 15,000 upper deck built on Rentschler. Maybe not GS, but someone with a similar energy and personality would be the general idea.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the crappy thing we probably have to deal with for the rest of the season.

AD's and athletic administrators don't think or act like the rest of us, they think and act like each other.

Keep in mind that Auburn kept Chizik around for the entire season even though he had lost his team by game one last year. His team went defeated (lost every game in the SEC) and was thoroughly outplayed and outcoached in every one of them. It was obvious to everyone that neither the players nor the coaches cared. Yet the coach still stuck around for an entire season.

They were playing to 50,000 empty seats for half of October and November. That's hemorraging a ton of cash, yet the AD still kept him on board.

No one cared about the championship from a few years earlier because it was painfully clear that it was bought and paid for on the back of Cam Newton.

This is a sit back and enjoy the carnage season from here on out. Instead of handing out foam #1 or handing out stupid fans on a stick, they should be handing out foam face palms.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hughes - Interim HC
Weist - OC
Foley - OL
Wholley - larger D role to help Hank

Buys time to negotiate with Mike Bellotti. I would take him in a New York minute. If there is going to be any "house-cleaning", it should be the new head coach that decides how to clean it...

Reaction Score
You know, if PP committed some atrocious crime (ala AH), he'd be relieved of his duties immediately - the players or the team be damned. The program would have to figure out a way to carry on without him. So, no I do not believe it would be harmful at all to fire PP now. Get him gone before he suffocates the life out of this program.

Good thinking TD, I don't often agree with you, but i think you're definitely on to something.

My new plans for Labor Day weekend: Frame P of an atrocious crime. While we're at it I might as well work GDL in as an accomplice.

Reaction Score
I got this email a little while ago:

Donny Marshall Elected Alumni Trustee​

Donny Marshall '95 (BUS) was recently elected Alumni Trustee by UConn graduates. He will serve a four-year term on the University Board of Trustees, which will begin on Sept. 1.

We thank Fran Archambault '68 MA, '69 Ph.D., who has been an Alumni Trustee since 2009, for his dedicated service.

Donny is a television sports analyst for Comcast Sportsnet and NBC Universal, and is also an owner of The University Club of Connecticut, a public golf course located in North Windham, Conn. He earned a bachelor's degree in management from UConn and was a student-athlete. He previously played professional basketball for the Cleveland Cavaliers and New Jersey Nets.

Please join us in congratulating Donny on his election as an Alumni Trustee.

I don't know how much clout he can bring to the table, but he must know PP has to go.​

Reaction Score
How old is Bellotti?

FWIW - Belotti is 2 years younger than PP.

I could give two poops about actual age - it's about fit, energy and ability to relate to 17-25 year olds. You are only as old as you act.

Reaction Score
Here's the crappy thing we probably have to deal with for the rest of the season.

AD's and athletic administrators don't think or act like the rest of us, they think and act like each other.

Keep in mind that Auburn kept Chizik around for the entire season even though he had lost his team by game one last year. His team went defeated (lost every game in the SEC) and was thoroughly outplayed and outcoached in every one of them. It was obvious to everyone that neither the players nor the coaches cared. Yet the coach still stuck around for an entire season.

They were playing to 50,000 empty seats for half of October and November. That's hemorraging a ton of cash, yet the AD still kept him on board.

No one cared about the championship from a few years earlier because it was painfully clear that it was bought and paid for on the back of Cam Newton.

This is a sit back and enjoy the carnage season from here on out. Instead of handing out foam #1 or handing out stupid fans on a stick, they should be handing out foam face palms.

all excellent points but one key difference. Auburn is comfortably in the SEC, in the big boy club. UConn is not. Do a twitter search for UConn and ACC you will see what UConn's national perception is. If Warde had pulled the trigger today -- say right in the middle of GameDay -- for good or bad it would change the conversation, you'd hear a big "Whoa" an the nation would get a message that UConn is serious about this. Right now most people don't.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was thinking we are going to have to just ride out this year. But now with P throwing individual players under the bus by name, while at the same time covering for his imcompetant buddy I have changed my mind. Toss P and GDL out now. Rally round what's left for the rest of the year. Then can them and start from scratch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Heed the words of Andy Dufrane Mr. Manuel and Ms. Herbst.

"Either get busy living or get busy dying."

Every hour you don't decide to commit to high level football is an hour closer to athletic oblivion. Make the change, find the right leader for this program and be absolutely ruthless in going about it.

Tell the IHC he'll be considered at the end of the season, heck name him the permanent HC. Lie, bribe, double deal, poach, blackmail, or hire a guy from another team mid season if that's what it takes.

This university found two of top BB coaches of all time and they came out of nowhere, so you know what they look.like. Go find the guy. Go find the guy, now. This program is smashed, pick up the pieces and do the thing.

Reaction Score
all excellent points but one key difference. Auburn is comfortably in the SEC, in the big boy club. UConn is not. Do a twitter search for UConn and ACC you will see what UConn's national perception is. If Warde had pulled the trigger today -- say right in the middle of GameDay -- for good or bad it would change the conversation, you'd hear a big "Whoa" an the nation would get a message that UConn is serious about this. Right now most people don't.
Great point there really are a handfull of teams in UConn's situation. We are on double secret probation and can't afford misteps. It's unfortunate and unfair but its life.

Reaction Score

Reinstall Mike Foley to OL/TE coach, and let TJ Weist actually have full control over the offense. I don't believe for a second that Weist was given the reins to call the offense he wanted and use the personnel effectively. I see GDL/PP all over that gameplan. They're rubbing it right in the face of Warde, this fan base, and the future of the football program.y the

As fate would have it, this is probably the best opportunity for WM to pull the trigger. Assigning an "interim" now gives him two weeks to prepare the guys.

Reaction Score
As fate would have it, this is probably the best opportunity for WM to pull the trigger. Assigning an "interim" now gives him two weeks to prepare the guys.

And hopefully hell do it soon so We can have a little hope around here. If we are the same team with the same poor decisions against Maryland its going to get ugly fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom