A Random Observation… | The Boneyard

A Random Observation…

Reaction Score
We have not done well in the second game of these style tournaments over the last few years. In the 2K Sports from a few years ago, we made a statement by beating Syracuse, but got blown out by Iowa the next night. The AAC Tournament of that same season, we beat USF, then got blown out vs Houston the next day. Charleston two years ago, we beat Buffalo in round 1, then lost to Xavier in round 2. Last years BET, we beat Depaul, then got beat by Creighton. Now, with Atlantis, beat Auburn, then lose today to MSU.

What does it mean? I don’t know, but It’s just really strange how we can’t get over the hump in these situations to string a few wins together.

Reaction Score
It was one of the things I was watching closely today. Hurley is all about preparation and the team hasn’t faired well on short turn around. That to me is concerning almost as much as some of the in game errors. Just off the top of my head - 40 points loss to Houston after beating USF in 1st round, a totally disjointed mess vs Iowa after beating Syracuse in msg, creighton missed opportunity after beating DePaul last BET.

We clearly have improved but that’s gotta put a ceiling on us if that doesn’t get fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was one of the things I was watching closely today. Hurley is all about preparation and the team hasn’t faired well on short turn around. That to me is concerning almost as much as some of the in game errors. Just off the top of my head - 40 points loss to Houston after beating USF in 1st round, a totally disjointed mess vs Iowa after beating Syracuse in msg, creighton missed opportunity after beating DePaul last BET.

We clearly have improved but that’s gotta put a ceiling on us if that doesn’t get fixed.
Exactly! I don’t know if they get a little too emotionally invested into the first game, but you have to turn the page. Going back 2-3 years ago, talent was probably more the issue, but It is kind of crazy how we are winless in game 2 of these tournaments we have played.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Left it all on the floor to turn around and play a tough physical team 18 hours later with their best defender and heart and soul out. Honestly would have a miracle to have won. That said to go completely scoreless down the stretch and blow a 3 possession lead stings a lot.

Reaction Score
We have not done well in the second game of these style tournaments over the last few years. In the 2K Sports from a few years ago, we made a statement by beating Syracuse, but got blown out by Iowa the next night. The AAC Tournament of that same season, we beat USF, then got blown out vs Houston the next day. Charleston two years ago, we beat Buffalo in round 1, then lost to Xavier in round 2. Last years BET, we beat Depaul, then got beat by Creighton. Now, with Atlantis, beat Auburn, then lose today to MSU.

What does it mean? I don’t know, but It’s just really strange how we can’t get over the hump in these situations to string a few wins together.
I don't think it means all that much. Other than the 2nd game is against a better team than the first game.

Reaction Score
We got screwed this game by the refs and tyrese martin threw a trashy pass... plus, hawkins is still young...

trust me- we will win the Big East tourney, this game was just a fluke

lets pray that VCU beats Baylor that way we can still get 1 more good game

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It is frustrating, but as the song goes, “It Don’t Come Easy.”

Hurley is still learning, and so are many of our players. Winning these tournaments is a next-level skill that he still has to master, and part of it is figuring out the flow of these trips.

Somewhat similarly, every time Hawkins shot a three yesterday I was convinced that it was going down and that was going to be his moment and our time to get over the hump. But then I remembered that nothing has ever come easy for us.

Think of how many times Calhoun was denied before getting to the top of the mountain.

I have no doubt our time will come again, and all these moments of struggle along the way will just make it that much sweeter when it does—again. I never thought I would experience a ride like I did when we first built this powerhouse, and I definitely wondered whether we would ever see the top of the mountain again after Calhoun.

Now I feel like we have a path and I want to enjoy the climb, even with the occasional setbacks like yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom