A Question on Plum and Washington | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Question on Plum and Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Against Oregon, Plum had 15 at the half, 27 after 3 and scored 7 quick points to start the 4th. They weren't stopping her AT ALL. Then she went cold, missed her last 7 shots. That is really uncharacteristic for her, I'd venture a guess that's the first time all season it's happened to her.
Bad timing - when it counted.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think quite a few deep, balanced teams haven't won championships either. Only one team wins each year, and since UConn and Tennessee have won the majority of them in the last 25 years or so...that's just a really limited way to define greatness for a player, in a team sport.

16 of the past 22, to be exact.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bad timing - when it counted.

In ONE game, out of a 31 game schedule so far. She hasn't had a bad game all season. Tell me how me other players that can be said of.

Reaction Score
In ONE game, out of a 31 game schedule so far. She hasn't had a bad game all season. Tell me how me other players that can be said of.
She's a great player, but she went totally cold at the end of the game that really counted - more than any other game so far this year. Not exactly "clutch."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She's a great player, but she went totally cold at the end of the game that really counted - more than any other game so far this year. Not exactly "clutch."

Wow. Don't know what to tell you. That really wasn't the one game that counted more than any other so far this year.

Reaction Score
Wow. Don't know what to tell you. That really wasn't the one game that counted more than any other so far this year.
Well it was the game that knocked them out of their conference tourney. Whatever - I'm looking forward to watching Plum play in the NCAA's

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok, let's start with this one. As a younger player, Plum's defense was poor. Matador-like. She had no interest in playing it. As with every part of her game, her defense has improved dramatically this season. She's much more athletic. She works harder at it, and can stay in front of people. She also rebounds, and hits the floor. She hustles and puts out tremendous effort for nearly 40 minutes a game.

Your last sentence is ridiculous in many ways. Plum has scored over 50 once in her career. She's never given up 35-40 to an opponent. But if she did happen to score 50 in a game and give up 40, that's plus 10, isn't it?

Lemme see now... add the 1 and carry the 2 .. uh oh, run out of fingers and toes on this one. Guess I'll wait and see.

Reaction Score
The hard truth is Washington is a mediocre team propped up by a hugely talented Plum. Teams such as this rarely if ever advance to the finals in the Championship and most rarely win. In fact I can't remember when a team has won with one member having such a scoring load. As a team advances the better teams limit opposing players touches, have better perimeter or interior defenses, or develop more effective schemes against that player. Also teams such as Washington are just too dependent on the graces of Plum. One off night and their season is done. Plum's defense is suspect as well. Against the better teams what good is scoring 50 if your opponent scores 35-40?
Osahor (sp??) is a true talent, albeit I doubt she shall have success in the WNBA, Plum is a prolific scorer---. But remember folks last year she didn't do well for the first half, then Geno let up. And Uconn wollopped them, Their team is not a one person team--but they play that way. Geno has stated often in the past that a single scoring standout team is a delight to play--and stop that scorer--he has done that often.
My first reaction to the 57 points was--shame. I'm not sure I can ever be happy for Plum--as much as I think she;s a legit scorer.

Reaction Score
Seriously dumb post. If you have a different opinion, feel free to share it and educate us, instead of behaving foolishly on our board.
I won't call anyone an idiot--mis informed maybe--but that poster was completely IGNORANT of the level of knowledge, including your's, of members like : Bags, Davidnaples, Philly coach, coach, Umiami, and 3 dozen more--maybe that person should search them and read what real knowledge of the complete WBB college game analysis is all about.

Reaction Score
Osahor (sp??) is a true talent, albeit I doubt she shall have success in the WNBA, Plum is a prolific scorer---- But remember folks last year she didn't do well for the first half, then Geno let up. And Uconn wollopped them, Their team is not a one person team--but they play that way. Geno has stated often in the past that a single scoring standout team is a delight to play--and stop that scorer--he has done that often.
My first reaction to the 57 points was--shame. I'm not sure I can ever be happy for Plum--as much as I think she;s a legit scorer.

Did you watch the game in which she scored 57? No? Yet you have an opinion, that of shaming Plum? Unbelievable.

You sit on here, and deride a girl that plays her heart out, leads her team, and does what is necessary to keep them competitive. Because if she didn't control the ball and score a lot, they're done. A .500 team.

And this is what I love about these internet forums. You can trash her, and call her shameful. Yet you not only don't know her, you have very little knowledge of her team, and didn't see the game. But I'm not allowed to directly call you a jerk for doing so. Just doesn't seem right to me, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You

Did you watch the game in which she scored 57? No? Yet you have an opinion, that of shaming Plum? Unbelievable.

You sit on here, and deride a girl that plays her heart out, leads her team, and does what is necessary to keep them competitive. Because if she didn't control the ball and score a lot, they're done. A .500 team.

And this is what I love about these internet forums. You can trash her, and call her shameful. Yet you not only don't know her, you have very little knowledge of her team, and didn't see the game. But I'm not allowed to directly call you a jerk for doing so. Just doesn't seem right to me, though.
You know, I frequently get on news reporters and critics for sloppy journalism. You my friend are a slopping reader. BroadwayVa didn't call Plum shameful. He called her scoring 57 points in a close win shameful. Your quote that "Because if she didn't control the ball and score a lot, they're done. A .500 team." is the most accurate and balanced thing you've said about your team. I too felt shame that Neighbors' team needs the same player to score at least 25 every night to have a chance at winning. I like Va am not nor would we deride a player as good as Plum. We and apparently you are too well aware that .500 is mediocrity, and this team actually has the talent to be a better team without Plum needing to be a one man band. Therein lies the shame. She deserves better.

Reaction Score
You

I said Plum was a great player. I like her. You, on the other hand...

It's not shameful to choke when it matters. It's not clutch either, though. Fortunately she gets another chance. She wins POY for sure, deservedly so. And if they win a few games in the tourney, maybe she gets a chance to prove it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The signs are right on the park benches. Please don't feed the pigeons. And still the bags of stale bread come out. I do like the pigeon sound though ...coo coo

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Osahor (sp??) is a true talent, albeit I doubt she shall have success in the WNBA, Plum is a prolific scorer---- But remember folks last year she didn't do well for the first half, then Geno let up. And Uconn wollopped them, Their team is not a one person team--but they play that way. Geno has stated often in the past that a single scoring standout team is a delight to play--and stop that scorer--he has done that often.

UW and UConn didn't even play each other last year. You're just completely making stuff up. The 2 schools have rarely met, and the most recent was at least 6 or 7 years ago, before Plum was around and when UW was terrible.

Reaction Score
So as I've said from the start, one dimensional, mediocre teams rarely win championships. The rarity is having a transcendental player leading your team. I don't really see where anything you've argued against my point holds any water. Except the point of course in circling the wagons for your team.
How good would Baylor have been without Griner in 2012?
Or without Sophia Young in 2005?
How good would Tennessee have been without Parker in '07 and '08? Or without Holdsclaw in '96 and '97?
How good would Texas Tech have been without Swoopes when they won?
Which of those trancendental players you mentioned saw the other four members of the previous year's starting line up disappear into the WNBA?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey the last game of her college career Maya Moore scored a bunch of points but she took a bunch of shots, and her team lost. And that was a much more important game than a conference tourney semi-final. Would anyone suggest she wasn't a clutch player? I mean if you want to get crazy and base opinions off of one game...

Reaction Score
You know, I frequently get on news reporters and critics for sloppy journalism. You my friend are a slopping reader. BroadwayVa didn't call Plum shameful. He called her scoring 57 points in a close win shameful. Your quote that "Because if she didn't control the ball and score a lot, they're done. A .500 team." is the most accurate and balanced thing you've said about your team. I too felt shame that Neighbors' team needs the same player to score at least 25 every night to have a chance at winning. I like Va am not nor would we deride a player as good as Plum. We and apparently you are too well aware that .500 is mediocrity, and this team actually has the talent to be a better team without Plum needing to be a one man band. Therein lies the shame. She deserves better.

I'm a slopping reader? See the irony?

You say: "Your quote that 'Because if she didn't control the ball and score a lot, they're done. A .500 team.' is the most accurate and balanced thing you've said about your team."

Then further down you say that Washington: "actually has the talent to be a better team without Plum needing to be a one man band."

These statements are completely contradictory. You do see that, don't you?

You also say this: "I too felt shame that Neighbors' team needs the same player to score at least 25 every night to have a chance at winning." Shame? On Neighbors? Really? It's shameful to not have a bunch of really good players? Wow.

JS

Reaction Score
This thread, just so you know, is on the verge of getting shut down.

It's degenerated into personal sniping between a couple of people, with any further information or insight in short supply.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Which of those trancendental players you mentioned saw the other four members of the previous year's starting line up disappear into the WNBA?
I believe Taurasi saw 3. 4 IS higher than 3 though, but she didn't have a player as good as Osahor on her team. Well, that's what transcendental players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom