A question I would ask Geno | The Boneyard

A question I would ask Geno

Reaction Score
But I can't, as I haven't been invited yet for lasagna dinner, cooked by his Mom. :):)

"Requirement" -- you saw at least from D and Sue, and preferably from 1995, if not before. (I started watching in Maya's junior year, hence the question.

Question: Who are the 3-4 best non-UConn players you saw? Best could be simply the best player(s), the ones you feared the most, etc. And why, please. And, please only use data from their college playing. No WNBA or pickup games you may have played against them. :)

Point to note: Now, I understand there is (was?) a rather "heated" rivalry with some school in the South. Can't remember the name, but I think their main color was some shade of orange. I have never seen UConn play this school, except on tape. Hmm, please do pick from this school, as needed. :):) (I recall D had her arm around one of those players from the orange-jersey school at the 2012 Olympics, a Tamika somebody or other, and the interviewer asked about the rivalry, and D said with a big smile, "Oh, that was a long time ago." D made said player promise to play in the 2016 Games, and said player did.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He and a certain Kara of orange fame are members of a mutual admiration society.
He really liked/likes Angel
He regretted not recruiting Beard (was misinformed that she would never leave the south.)
Likes Griner a lot
Likes three of Maya's teammates a lot. (Fowles, Augustus, Whalen)
Three or more of the Cardinal alum - O sisters, Appel, (and Bonnie and Karlie)
Not sure but probably a couple of Irish
Cappie from Rutgers at least.

Reaction Score
And of all these fantastic players named above, I suspect the one who now wishes she had gone to UConn (though she may not say it publicly) is Griner. Her appreciation of Geno in last year's Olympic Games was quite evident.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno has been quoted a few times as saying Catchings is the one player he would have most liked to coach in college -- not sure he thinks she is the best non-UCONN player but I'm sure she is right up there

Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings, Rebekah Brunson, Chiney Ogwumike are 3 I would guess on

I know he admires Catchings and that he recruited Brunson & Ogwumike hard.

Reaction Score
He regretted not recruiting Beard (was misinformed that she would never leave the south.)

That's not the story I recall.
Beard was under the radar having been injured during the key evaluation periods. As a result I recall she was only ranked around the 30s.

I recall Geno joking that both CD and Tenn's Micki Demoss should be fired for missing on Beard.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And of all these fantastic players named above, I suspect the one who now wishes she had gone to UConn (though she may not say it publicly) is Griner. Her appreciation of Geno in last year's Olympic Games was quite evident.

Appreciation is a mild word - she thinks he walks on water. Anyway, on the Christmas Day I can only come up with 3 opposing players: Jayne Appel, Ruth Riley and Skylar Diggins.

Reaction Score
Tamika Catchings, Rebekah Brunson, Chiney Ogwumike are 3 I would guess on

I know he admires Catchings and that he recruited Brunson & Ogwumike hard.

I heard Geno say on one of the shows that he recruited both Ogwumike sisters, that he really liked the parents (which we know is very important to him), but he knew he wasn't going to get them. I took him to mean that Nneka wanted the academics of Stanford (I believe she wants to be a doctor) and then Chiney wanted to play with her sister plus the academics.

Reaction Score
Geno has often said that he believes he cost the team the 2001 championship because, even though UConn has a big lead against ND at half time, he yelled at the team too strongly in the locker room and made them too tense. The obvious question is: was there a basketball reason why he felt he needed to yell at them?

Reaction Score
Geno has often said that he believes he cost the team the 2001 championship because, even though UConn has a big lead against ND at half time, he yelled at the team too strongly in the locker room and made them too tense. The obvious question is: was there a basketball reason why he felt he needed to yell at them?

Hey bags27- - - -In the 2001 FF semi vs ND UCONN had an 18 point lead with less than a minute to go till 1/2 time and Retay the G from ND hit a wide-open 3 with 1 second left on the clock! Geno went into the locker room and reportedly threw a chair and went berserk and UCONN/DT preceded to go into the tubes and lose the game! Sue Bird has said as bad as Geno acted the thing that hurt the worse was their 2 senior capts. Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosimova were out with injuries and their LEADERSHIP was missed settling the team down! The winner of that Semi was really NCAA Champion as the other Semi Purdue & SMSU weren't going to beat either UCONN or ND!

Reaction Score
Can’t believe no one has mentioned Candice Parker. I’m sure he would have love to have coached and molded her. She is/was a beast!

Reaction Score
That's not the story I recall.
Beard was under the radar having been injured during the key evaluation periods. As a result I recall she was only ranked around the 30s.

I recall Geno joking that both CD and Tenn's Micki Demoss should be fired for missing on Beard.

It's possible but Beard was a MCD A/A and below she was an A/A in many other services. Though it is possible she was in the 30's but I don't think so. The 1st link indicates the many a/a teams she made. In the 2nd link read the 3rd to the last paragraph. It does say she was a MCD A/A too. And the 3rd link had her on some "ESPN RISE" as the H/S POY - whatever that was.

Alana Beard Biography

Nutley’s Watson gets McDonald’s All-American sendoff

All-Decade Girls Basketball Team

Reaction Score
Hey bags27- - - -In the 2001 FF semi vs ND UCONN had an 18 point lead with less than a minute to go till 1/2 time and Retay the G from ND hit a wide-open 3 with 1 second left on the clock! Geno went into the locker room and reportedly threw a chair and went berserk and UCONN/DT preceded to go into the tubes and lose the game! Sue Bird has said as bad as Geno acted the thing that hurt the worse was their 2 senior capts. Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosimova were out with injuries and their LEADERSHIP was missed settling the team down! The winner of that Semi was really NCAA Champion as the other Semi Purdue & SMSU weren't going to beat either UCONN or ND!

Thank you. This reply is but one example of the value I gain from BY. :) I knew we had blown the lead, I knew about the 3 just before half time, and I knew Geno yelled at them. I knew about Shea and Svet. I did not know about the chair :(:(, and I did not know about Purdue and SMSU. Wow.

As we know, 2001 was ND's and MM's 1 and only NC. And, as I have heard Geno say multiple times, although the 2002 team was his best, the 2001 team was his most talented.

Reaction Score
Holdsclaw is the best Tennessee player ever with 3 NCs and one of the best WCBB players in history! Dawn Staley who is one of greatest of all-time from Virginia! Cheryl Miller USC who won 2 NCs in the 80s! Tamika Catchings of Tenn. with 2 NCs also one of the best ever!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Questions I would like ask Geno is. Who do you think are the Best Young Coaches in Div 1 Basketball? Who is accomplishing the most with the least amount of Talent?

Reaction Score
I would like to ask Geno who he will name as his replacement when that time comes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who would you like to replace you when you retire... and when is that?

Reaction Score
I think that I would like to ask Geno if he prefers a sweet sauce or spicy. And, what is his favorite Italian dish that his mother made. Yeah, that would provide a lot insight into the man.

Reaction Score
I would like to ask Geno who he will name as his replacement when that time comes.

Geno would never answer such a question. No matter how hard you worked on him.Head bang

Reaction Score
I think that I would like to ask Geno if he prefers a sweet sauce or spicy. And, what is his favorite Italian dish that his mother made. Yeah, that would provide a lot insight into the man.

Didn't he answer a related question with Justine on that "2 minutes with Geno" or something like that? He said what his favorite meal was, but I forgot.:eek:. I am not a foodie.:(

Reaction Score
Who would you like to replace you when you retire... and when is that?

With Kibbitzer not posting recently, am I allowed to point out grammatical mistakes, in a kind and nice way, of course? :D

FYI, I have been fixing my own (and other people's) for more decades than I want to admit. :eek: Sometimes, I am even right.

Your title should be "Whom would you like ..." This one gets a bit tricky, and I don't remember all the rules as well as I did when I was younger. But here goes. Who or whom here is the subject of the infinitive phrase "whom to replace you." The phrase is the subject of the clause "whom to replace you when you retire." Or so I think.

Therefore, as I understand it, subjects of infinitive phrases are in the accusative case (whom) not the nominative case (who), as written.:(

But I could be wrong. Sigh. The way I check myself is to replace who/whom by an actual name, such as "Joe" or "Mary" and then change the order of the sentence to get the subject at the beginning, such as "You would like Mary to replace you." OK, now I see Mary is the subject of an infinitive phrase, so accusative = whom, not who.

Am I right? Head bang Where is Kibbitzer when we need him? :cool: Is he OK? Does anyone know? This last, of course, is a serious question.

Anyway, this is a fun reply. I mean, do we really care about such a detail in this context of BY? Or do we care that we win the last game we play? I mean, I do miss those hats and tee shirts. I miss what I call the "jumping up and down" = the players on the bench going absolutely crazy with less than 15 seconds left in the NC game when the game has been decided. I miss them charging the court when the game is actually over. I miss when Geno, of course the last person to do so, cuts down what is left of the 2 sets of nets. Of course, he only gets up once. I miss ... (Fill in the blank, as you prefer). :):)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't he answer a related question with Justine on that "2 minutes with Geno" or something like that? He said what his favorite meal was, but I forgot.:eek:. I am not a foodie.:(
He said something to the effect, picking "a" favorite might be too hard. But one of his favorites was his mom's eggplant parm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom