A Question about Leadership | The Boneyard

A Question about Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The "Crunch Time" thread started by winlots, a welcomed variation from "Who will start?", drew some replies that had me wondering. A common theme was Hartley's leadership. This had me puzzled but, admittedly, since I was walking across the country last season I was in a "time warp" as a Husky fan. I did get some tidbits here and there, even managed to watch a couple games with some kind hosts. Yet I could be missing much, such as the reasons why Hartley would be the obvious choice as the best leader on the team.

I am not knocking Hartley at all, not even her leadership abilities or attributes that feed into that. This is a question of best leader, and I think back to the first loss after the 90 game win streak. As reported by Faris all the upperclassmen were subdued while the five freshmen were enjoying themselves in the airport, hardly phased. Granted, the freshmen did not "own" the streak that occurred to the same extent as the upperclassmen, but I think it fairly safe to say that had Faris been one of those freshmen in that very same situation she would have still taken it hard.

You want your leader to be at the top category of determination and "will to win." Out of that class (most of which are now gone) the one that appears closest to Faris with that attribute would be Dolson, not Hartley. Yes, Hartley can be ice at crunch time, I have no problem with her taking the last shot in any game but I have not seen her rallying others to perform at their best with her sheer will. Maybe that came through while I was gone last year.

On the other hand, there does have to be a little more involved than "will to win," which is why I do not automatically think of Faris as the leader in crunch time. I also understand the best situation is when that leader happens to be the guard handling the ball and directing the team, extensions of coach like Rizzotti, Williams, Bird, Taurasi, Montgomery, which is why I think Hartley comes to mind for so many. Yet from what I've read to date I think of KML with the best combined attributes to lead the team--supreme will, supreme talent and supreme charisma to draw people to her leadership--but I don't have many real observations to back up that guess and I'd welcome your input. Given the combined attributes of will, talent, charisma, chosen extension of coach and whatever else you want to add, who surfaces as the best leader that can rally the team behind her?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Two comments.

I agree wiith your thoughts about Kaleena. I expect her to be a very special player, possibly like Diana was.

Second, a quote about reacting to losses from the inimitable Vince Lombardi:

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Leadership styles vary greatly, but I think there are two things that must be present:

-Don't demand anything of others that you don't demand of yourself.
-Do what you say you will do.

KML has a quality of being able to execute in big games, and she also works her ass off. In order to become a leader, she has to be able and wiling to challenge others to put forth the same level of effort. One thing that I will say about Kelly is that, although she sets a good example, she isn't someone who is naturally comfortable at challenging others to live up to her example. I would love to see her do so this season because if she doesn't improve a thing about her game but becomes a stronger leader, she probably goes out the same way she came in- a champion.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With regards to Lombardi, you can hate losing and be burned up inside about it and still be gracious in defeat. Of all people, Novak Djokovic just provided a great example of this on Monday. I can promise you he is miserable right now, but he showed Andy Murray the proper respect because he understands, perhaps more fundamentally than anyone, the process Murray went through to get to this point.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
For a number of reasons, I think this will indeed be "Bria's team" so to speak.

I'm not betting the farm on this - just my best guess from what I've seen so far. Others could emerge instead.

Reaction Score
We don't see the team in practice and other situations. We see them for the most part in games. Maybe Bria and others are more leaders off the court which can have positive effects on the team overall.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In that silly game. memorialized in video with the gals scrimmaging against a bunch of out-of-shape actors, do I not remember Hartley, being the clear leader?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There can be/is a difference between a team leader and a leader on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom