A Question About Dorka. (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Question About Dorka. (Merged thread)

Reaction Score
That might be true for a "pretty good" European player like Anna Makurat or perhaps Dorka, but a player with potentially world-class talent is probably better off establishing her bona fides in the WNBA. From a competitive standpoint, it is still (and by far) the best women's basketball league in the world, so if you are from Europe or Asia and you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. I have read that players (whether American or foreign-born) can negotiate better pay in Europe or Asia if their WNBA credentials are top-notch.

"Pretty good" American players like KLS or Tiffany Hayes are not going to make huge salaries overseas, but they will earn some significant income. Unlike Stewie or Diana, "pretty good" players will find that both the WNBA and foreign salaries are a significant part of their income, and it would hurt financially to part with either source of compensation.

And for American players, NIL and other commercial opportunities require them to keep themselves and their basketball talents in the spotlight on this side of the Atlantic. That may be the biggest reason why they will need to continue playing in the WNBA.

Do we have any idea, even a rough one, about how much KLS or Hayes is making in Europe? I'm guessing that they not only make more than they did in the W, but they are likely to remain employed longer in Europe than the highly limited, player numbers speaking, WNBA.

The press are reporting that Griner makes a million a year in Russia, compared with $220k in the W.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else catch this? In the interview with Geno after the game he was asked about his seniors and what they have meant to them during the season. Or something similar to that. His replay was: "The THREE of them have"...... Three to me would be C. E. and N-O. Not Dorka? Maybe.

In a previous interview, Coach Geno has said that he's presuming that Dorka will return to UConn.

Reaction Score
For what its worth....

Explore the 2022 WNBA Draft​

Get the answers to all your 2022 WNBA Draft questions right here!

1. How many players get drafted?​

In 2020, the WNBA drafted in 36 new players to the league on draft night. The WNBA is a hard league to break into because each of the 12 teams can only bring on 12 players during the regular season. Teams can only have 15 players in training camp at one time. And, in 2021, some teams are going with the minimum of 11 players, rather than the maximum of 12, to fit multiple max contracts under the $1.3 million salary cap. Players picked in the bottom half of the draft from 18th and beyond are the most likely to be cut after camps this year unfortunately.

Is that cap for the entire team? Why would there be that low a cap? Doesn’t make sense unless the owners and the wnba are intentionally underpaying women????

Reaction Score
It would be wonderful for her to return next year...
I agree. She could be the starter at center and have Amari DeBerry come off the bench. You can see that Amari has talent, but according to Geno, she hates practice. Kiss of death for a UConn player.

Reaction Score
With a full blown war going on next door to Hungary, she should try to stay in the U.S. as long as possible.

I agree with you. OTOH she may decide it is better for her to be close to her family in case the manure hits the fan, which isn't out of the question.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the Russian/European opportunities for both men's and women's basketball players is much less than prior to the Ukraine invasion, a major decline in pay scales and perks. Thus, if that is true, some players like Dorka may lean toward staying another year at UConn. The WNBA does not have a lot of room for additional players that might have chosen a European route. The current problems with Grenier have just added to the overseas concerns.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
During the interview after the trophy presentation Gino was asked about his seniors and their last conference championship and he clearly stated the three of them. Was that a slip on his part or was that confirmation that he expects Dorka back next year.
Dorka is not a senior; she's a grad student. She attained her bachelor's degree from The OSU in three years. She's a 4th-year player, to be sure, so maybe I'm just picking a nit.

Kat

Reaction Score
Dorka may have plans for her future that do not include playing pro basketball. She's smart, earned her degree in 3 years and will have a graduate degree when she leaves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom