A Plea to Husky Nation | The Boneyard

A Plea to Husky Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
EXCELLENT article from Matt today. Please please please read and spread the word.

A Plea to Husky Nation, Fill the Rent Tomorrow
August 28, 2014 Football
@MattSchonvisky

BwDWaYUIgAEKWEZ.jpg:large

The field is ready, the players are ready, but are the fans? Photo credit: @UConnVideo

It’s hard to believe that there are still tickets available for the kickoff of a new era of UCONN football, tomorrow night, against BYU at Rentschler Field. Per school officials, who confirmed yesterday evening, there have only been 31,000 tickets sold for the game that kicks off at 7PM, which highlights the start of college football, this Labor Day weekend.

Per the source, that number is ‘total tickets sold for BYU.’ For the die-hard fans that have been asking, this would indeed indicate that that number does include student tickets, as well as the allotment that was given to BYU, who returned 2,000 tickets to UCONN.

There is only one reaction to this and it is urgent, an ask of ALL fans of UCONN ahtletics and anyone that supports a sport that this wonderful school plays, including men’s and women’s basketball.

With the landscape of college athletics changing, there is no more important and pressing issue than the success of the UCONN football program, both real and perceived, this season. A non-sellout, on national television, against one of the top programs in the nation, who have been to nine consecutive bowl games and tout a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback, will be a black eye for this school in the minds of administrators of conferences and their member schools, who will be looking to expand, once again, in the not-so-distant future.

A sellout and rocking Rentschler Field tomorrow night, is a must. It will not only indicate to the nation that you, the fans, care about this program and this school, but it will give the players the 12th man that they need tomorrow night. An atmosphere that we all saw for Michigan last season, will go a long way in the perception of where this school stands in the grand scheme of college athletics on ESPN, the showcased game on Friday night, on opening weekend of college football.

If you are a fan of any UCONN sport, do not hold a ticket for tomorrow’s game and are not satisfied with the current conference that UCONN is in and no longer want to be a part of the problem, here is what you can do.

1. PURCHASE A TICKET

UCONN has released discounted tickets on uconnhuskies.com with the promo code: filltherent

Tickets with that code are only $20. Bring additional friends, family members and spend a nice night out tomorrow evening, rooting for the school that you all love. Bringing someone new will help expose more people to the program and build the base of Husky Nation. A positive and energetic stadium will undoubtedly make these first timers want to come back again and again.

For those that have left and not come back over the years, come see what the new coaching staff has in store. They are an energetic, fun and motivating group that has captured the hearts and minds of every single player and member of the staff. An entire buy-in has occurred and they are ready to build on the nation’s 10th longest active winning streak among the top six conference schools and independents, tomorrow night.

2. SPREAD THE WORD

You can do this in any number of ways. Copy and paste this link into an email or text message and send to all of your friends, family members and co-workers that either live in and around Connecticut, or have at any time supported UCONN athletics, including during last year’s National Championship run for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs.

Two-hundred thousand people showed up for a parade a few months ago in Hartford to celebrate dual national championships in basketball, only 20% of you need to come to the game for it to be sold out.

Copy and paste this onto your Facebook feed. All of your friends and connections will see this. Some will pull the trigger, others will do the same, as you help spread the word to more.

3. IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE

If you are unsure and hesitant to go, have never been to Rentschler Field before or think that last season’s 0-9 start indicates that this season will begin the same way, all that the coaches, players and fans of the program ask, is that you give them a chance.

QB Casey Cochran is coming off of a record-setting performance of 461 yards and 4 TD’s. He set the school record for most passing yards in a game that day, breaking the previous record of Dan Orlovsky.

New head coach Bob Diaco is the most energetic and innovative coach in today’s game. Come see what he and his staff are all about.

An ultimatum has clearly been given to UCONN by fellow conferences and rival schools that the UCONN athletic department has tried to extend to fans. The success of this football season and the fan support that they get is priority one in terms of future expansion for the ACC and Big Ten.

Ask yourself this question if you have never been to a game at Rentschler Field, but enjoy men’s basketball. Would you rather see Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue and Indiana coming to Gampel and the XL Center in the coming years for conference games, or do you want to watch 5,000 people show up for a conference game against Tulane in a non-energetic XL?

The future of this school, both athletically and academically, at some level, rests on the success of the UCONN football program. While fellow schools like Rutgers, Michigan, Maryland and others collect pay check after pay check from the lucrative television contracts with ESPN and the Big Ten Network, UCONN will be stuck making pennies on the dollar, in comparison. Funding will dwindle and with it the reputation of the school and athletic programs, across America.

That is a doomsday scenario, but one that could become a reality.

With no professional sports residing in this state, UCONN is the closest thing you have. If you have read this and have any connection to UCONN, follow the instructions above and do everything you can to help make tomorrow night’s game a sellout, otherwise no longer complain about the current conference situation we are in because you will then just be a part of the problem.

For a reminder of where this program has been and where Bob Diaco, his staff and the players are bringing it back to:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but I think you are preaching to the wrong crowd.

I've posted on the MBB and WBB boards too. I post this stuff here for the silent lurkers who come on the football board who may still be on the fence about buying a ticket. These posts aren't intended for the many football fans who already have tickets and are ready to rock on Friday!

Reaction Score
I'm trying to find a way to easily share that article on my Facebook account. Why is there not an easy share feature on there, so 1993. Copying the link and pasting it presents some crazy windings things.

Reaction Score
It really hurts my heart to have to read that. Several of us here for years have been trying to tell the gospel of UConn football as I call it. Giving away tickets, bringing people to their first ever CFB game. As a fan, I've just reached the point, that I don't think there is much more I can do. I'm waiting to hear back tonight to see If I could bring someone else to the game tomorrow night. It shouldn't be this hard.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to find a way to easily share that article on my Facebook account. Why is there not an easy share feature on there, so 1993. Copying the link and pasting it presents some crazy windings things.

Share the post.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It really hurts my heart to have to read that. Several of us here for years have been trying to tell the gospel of UConn football as I call it. Giving away tickets, bringing people to their first ever CFB game. As a fan, I've just reached the point, that I don't think there is much more I can do. I'm waiting to hear back tonight to see If I could bring someone else to the game tomorrow night. It shouldn't be this hard.

Right there with you. I know that the Pasqualoni era turned off fans from UCONN football, but I honestly didn't think the damage was THIS severe. 31K in the stands tomorrow night would be absolutely devastating. Yes, winning cures everything. But it could take a while for the program to win again. If we want UCONN to find an AAC escape pod, we don't have that kind of time. Our fans need to support the school when it needs us most: RIGHT NOW . And what's the worst thing that can come from it? You spend a few hours having fun in the lots with family/friends eating good food and drinking good beverages AND you get to watch a close, entertaining game against a Top 25 quality opponent.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The school really needs to rally the students here. I would offer up all remaining tickets (on Friday) to students who want them, at student prices (ala Pitt bball circa 2003 or so - but plus a win).

Reaction Score

Try linking the post on this thread. May have to clarify date and time of game on your post because article date is confusing on header.

Reaction Score
The school really needs to rally the students here. I would offer up all remaining tickets (on Friday) to students who want them, at student prices (ala Pitt bball circa 2003 or so - but plus a win).
That's what's up. I emailed Warde last year and suggested they work with inner city schools getting honor students bussed in for games to build the fan base. Probably to difficult to orchestrate for the first game, but if you look around the stands at Rent we have a bit of an older fan base minus the students. The school needs to get a little creative in getting new and younger fans in to experience this most awesome experience.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I really really hope that the remaining unsold tickets are given away or offered at HUGE discounts to students or other local groups. 31K in a nationally covered game (ESPN, Armed Services Network and Mormon Radio) would be a very serious blow to the already low perception of the UCONN fanbase. Again, I'm talking about the folks who haven't bought tickets and have the means/time to go.

Reaction Score
Empty seats are:
A) Terrible for the look of the stadium;
B) Bad for realignment;
C) Bad for atmosphere;
D) An economic negative.

For all games that are not sold out, UConn should give the tickets away to the students or to local organizations. For every seat given away, money can be generated in parking, concessions, and gear.

UConn needs to be more proactive rather than simply a discount because, obviously, it is not enough.

Reaction Score
77% capacity is still a whole h e l l of a lot better than what the last three years were like. Let's do what we can, and let Diaco and the players do the rest. I bet filling out a 40k stadium gets a bit easier with legitimate hope.

Dooley

Reaction Score
77% capacity is still a whole h e l l of a lot better than what the last three years were like. Let's do what we can, and let Diaco and the players do the rest. I bet filling out a 40k stadium gets a bit easier with legitimate hope.

If this were Stony Brook, I would agree. But this is BYU (a Top 25 worthy opponent), on National TV (ESPN), International media (Armed Services Network and Mormon channels) and the best game of the home schedule. For everyone who complains about scheduling, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about the AAC, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about boring style of play, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about weather, this game is for you.

Bottomline: to the 9K who haven't purchased a ticket yet, THIS GAME IS FOR YOU!!! #HuskyUp

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm giving away 2 free tickets to the game tomorrow night. If you don't have tickets already, DM me. Section 204. Electronic tickets that I will forward to the first person to DM me.

Reaction Score
If this were Stony Brook, I would agree. But this is BYU (a Top 25 worthy opponent), on National TV (ESPN), International media (Armed Services Network and Mormon channels) and the best game of the home schedule. For everyone who complains about scheduling, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about the AAC, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about boring style of play, this game is for you. For everyone who complains about weather, this game is for you.

Bottomline: to the 9K who haven't purchased a ticket yet, THIS GAME IS FOR YOU!!! #HuskyUp

Good point. I guess what I am trying to get at is that the past few years have obliterated the goodwill the program was feeling, and that getting this many people invested is a decent start all things considered.

BTW, thanks for posting the FILLTHERENT link, I might not have been able to get to the game otherwise ;)

Reaction Score
Just bought 3 more tix, our group has now expanded to 9; 6 season and 3 add-ons. Bought another 3 for Stony Brook too. Going to try and bring extra people every game this year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
FILLTHERENT promo now open to everyone (not just season ticket holders or donors), thanks to Webster Bank.

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies 3m
One. More. Day. Let's "Fill The Rent" Tix promo courtesy of @WebsterBank. Tixs just $20! http://Post original url/FillTheRent

Reaction Score
Great point about 200k at the parade. We need the mens/womens BB fans to cross over.
I live down here in Georgia and I just sent an email to 4 of my fellow UConn Alum back in CT about if they were going to the game tomorrow night. Here is his reply "Is it basketball season already. Dyka living in ga this long has cast this football thing all over you. WE are a hoops school. Football is going to be cancelled in a couple of years here!"

I gave him a lecturing on that mentality and how that will be the downfall of our BB program as well. I have probably been to more UConn football games living down here than the 4 of them combined living up there. It's really a shame. Your alumni already, I don't understand how you don't support all the sports programs.

Reaction Score
I agree with giving the tickets away to high school coaches and players. The high school games haven't started yet and I would give them away to fill the stands. There should be an outreach to those coaches today. They would be more akin to marketing giveaways, building goodwill with the high schools. Pep rally is tonight on Campus. Hopefully a few more students will get motivated, but I would not want this game to show a lot of empty seats. We can deal later with any outcry from folks who yip about having to pay when others got in free. Fill the Rent Friday night.
And in that light, no one on this board should be straggling in after kickoff. The TV audience needs to see a filled and raucous stadium when the game comes on air. Be in your seats by 6:45. At the very least lets not have any hypocrites from the Boneyard dawdling at their tailgates after 7. Deal?

Reaction Score
I agree with giving the tickets away to high school coaches and players. The high school games haven't started yet and I would give them away to fill the stands. There should be an outreach to those coaches today. They would be more akin to marketing giveaways, building goodwill with the high schools. Pep rally is tonight on Campus. Hopefully a few more students will get motivated, but I would not want this game to show a lot of empty seats. We can deal later with any outcry from folks who yip about having to pay when others got in free. Fill the Rent Friday night.
And in that light, no one on this board should be straggling in after kickoff. The TV audience needs to see a filled and raucous stadium when the game comes on air. Be in your seats by 6:45. At the very least lets not have any hypocrites from the Boneyard dawdling at their tailgates after 7. Deal?

If it's not an NCAA violation, it will be as soon as it's found out that UCONN is doing it. And, we'll be harshly punished, ex-post-facto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom