A Pivotal Play UVA - Jamar Summers INT | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play UVA - Jamar Summers INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe the in-game adjustments and improvement of UCONN’s base D in pass coverage played a very big role in shutting out UVA after the first quarter.

From their first drive of the game UVA lined up in a lot of 4 wide sets and attempted to spread UCONN’s base D out horizontally. They initially did a very good job of flooding the field side and giving Vontae Diggs fits. In the first quarter and part of the second it looked as if Diggs was not getting enough depth or width in his coverage.

1st Quarter, 10:05, 1st & 10 UVA

Reaction Score
#2 – 1st Quarter, 1:51, 3rd & 5 UVA

Cover 2 MAN – The outside corners are in press coverage and taking away any inside routes … while the LB’s are in a 5 underneath zone. Diggs is trailing again and not getting much width.

Reaction Score
#3 – 2nd Quarter, 12:11, 1st & 10 UVA – UCONN’s Safeties become a little more aggressive and Diggs begins to flatten his coverages to get a little more width.

Reaction Score
#4 – 4th Quarter, 12:04, 1st & 10 UVA – First UVA offensive play after UCONN’s fumbled pitch. UCONN in 3-4 Cover 4. Carrezola drops wide on the boundary side, while Diggs gets blocked by a slot receiver on the field side. Something in the play call or pre-snap read directed #80 Dubois to be the first read.

Reaction Score
Conclusion:

Summers stepped up big time and made a fantastic play! But the adjustments in UCONN’s pass D from the 2nd quarter on can’t be overlooked. As bad as the offense has looked lately, I believe the D has been very quick to recognize and understand the adjustments that need to be made to stop opposing offenses.

Although we saw Green in the Nickle package a few times, it is the flexibility and athleticism of Carrezola, Diggs and Stapleton that allows the D to adjust so quickly. The UCONN defensive coaches definitely made some very good adjustments.

PS - Please give me some feedback of still frames vs. cut-ups!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The videos are marked Private. That alone makes me like the stills 1000% more.

Reaction Score
Why our DBs gave the cushions they did to start the game is a mystery to me. Once that adjustment was made UVA was shut down.

Don't forget also that Diggs had a pick six that went right though his hands.

Only loosely related - I think Summers is gone after this season. He's terrific.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was just giving you a little static. I like your breakdowns.

The Summers INT was huge, no doubt about it. But I can't help but think how it wouldn't have been necessary with the missed pitch by Newsome. It was a little behind him, but it hit him square on the fingertips. (Just like the drop by Thomas in the first half). Both he and Thomas were thinking about the next football move after securing the ball. These are moreso mental mistakes that don't happen with successful teams. Luckily, mental mistakes are correctable with better concentration. It's the predominantly physical inconsistencies that worries me for more (see: Levy, Richard).

Reaction Score

The Summers INT was huge, no doubt about it. But I can't help but think how it wouldn't have been necessary with the missed pitch by Newsome. It was a little behind him, but it hit him square on the fingertips. (Just like the drop by Thomas in the first half). Both he and Thomas were thinking about the next football move after securing the ball. These are moreso mental mistakes that don't happen with successful teams. Luckily, mental mistakes are correctable with better concentration. It's the predominantly physical inconsistencies that worries me for more (see: Levy, Richard).

All good points.

Take a look at the Thomas drop again ... is it possible he was screened or distracted by Newsome who was about 2 yards in front of him running along the same vector? In reviewing the game I found about 4 or 5 instances where multiple UCONN receivers were within a few yards of each other. Definitely not properly spaced ... especially on the INT in the end zone ... where it is still not clear to me if Davis or Thomas was the intended receiver.

Reaction Score

More of a wild pitch than a passed ball on that pitch to Newsome.

Husky25

Reaction Score
More of a wild pitch than a passed ball on that pitch to Newsome.
Go to about 1:54:55 of the game on Youtube. The ball was just a skosh behind Newsome, but it hit him in stride on the fingertips of both hands.

If you want to use a baseball analogy, the catcher set up outside and the pitcher threw to his inside knee. It was not a wild pitch by any stretch of the definition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that our experienced, big play corners from last year have not been tested a lot through three games. I expect them to be tested a lot more on Saturday. Whether they are up for the test will have a big role in what happens when Syracuse has the ball.

Reaction Score
All good points.

Take a look at the Thomas drop again ... is it possible he was screened or distracted by Newsome who was about 2 yards in front of him running along the same vector? In reviewing the game I found about 4 or 5 instances where multiple UCONN receivers were within a few yards of each other. Definitely not properly spaced ... especially on the INT in the end zone ... where it is still not clear to me if Davis or Thomas was the intended receiver.
I thought this same thing when watching it live and on replay. Almost looks like Newsome could have even deflected it. Either way I think it was just enough to throw him off and cause the drop.

Reaction Score
Great job as always. I started a thread amidst all the angst about our offensive shortcomings about the one thing you have to credit this staff is in game defensive adjustments. This exactly what I was talking about. UV was killing us to the flats and short crossing routes, and Diaco and Co. adjusted and had Diggs in position for a pick 6. It opened us up for some attempts over the top as the corners were all alone and we got hit with the long pass to start UVA's last drive.

In the Navy game, navy hit us with some plays over the top early that weren't there for them later in the game. I'm not nuanced enough to know what the adjustments made are but you could see something changed (safeties deeper pre snap?).

Diaco and company can Coach some Defense.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Love these posts. An island of sanity on an otherwise disturbed board (I blame the cumulative damage of too many years of CR trauma). Thanks!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Although we saw Green in the Nickle package a few times, it is the flexibility and athleticism of Carrezola, Diggs and Stapleton that allows the D to adjust so quickly. The UCONN defensive coaches definitely made some very good adjustments.
Ironically it was Carrezola, Stapleton and Walsh after in-game adjustments making plays in the Navy game. I'm sensing a theme starting.....

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
another great football thread; I'm also in the 'stills' camp but happy either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom