A Pivotal Play UCF – The Thomas Drop | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play UCF – The Thomas Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate doing this so late in the week … but it is so much easier to dissect the uconnhuskygames upload … so I wait for it. :(

4th Quarter 3:10, UCONN 3rd & 4 at the UCF 19

#1 – UCONN in a 4 wide single back … UCF 3-4 Cover Zero Man to Man …

#1 - Cover 0.jpg

Reaction Score
#2 – At the snap … Shirreffs and Thomas both recognize no deep safety …

#2 - No deep FS.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 – UCF blitzes 3 LB’s … ILB #41 covering Johnson … all 4 DB’s in Man to Man … Thomas gets a great outside release after a quick inside move …

#3 - Thomas outside move.jpg

Reaction Score
#4 – Thomas clearly running a post route … line holding up pretty well … except for 1 blitzing OLB

#4 - Blitzing OLB.jpg

Reaction Score
#5 – Here is where it gets fuzzy … Thomas is running a post pattern, a UCF blitzing OLB is bearing down on Shirreffs … but it appears by his stance that Shirreffs is looking corner …

#5 - Fuzzy.jpg

Reaction Score
#8 – Thomas does well just to get his hands on it …

#8 - Almost.jpg

Reaction Score
Conclusion – It is evident by the route running of Thomas that he was running a post pattern. The DB had inside leverage and Thomas smartly gained an outside release, blew by him, and turned inward to run a post pattern. The line held up just enough for Shirreffs to target the middle of the end zone for an easy 6. The lack of a deep safety was obvious from the pre and post snap reads.

Although the UCF OLB was bearing down on him … Shirreffs still appeared to be looking toward the corner. I do not believe the pressure forced the throw off target. Thomas did a tremendous job of spinning around just to get his hands on the ball.

Unfortunately the cameras only focused on the Thomas “drop”. IMHO … Thomas did a tremendous job just to get his hands on that ball.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Nice breakdown. Thanks. Someday I'm gonna understand this game...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
These are the key plays of the game. All 2nd and long, all poorly conceived run plays, all followed by an incomplete 3rd and long pass resulting in stalled drives that should have produced more points.

2nd and 9 at UCF 11

(12:00 - 1st) Bryant Shirreffs run for 6 yds to the UCF 5, FG

2nd and 11 at UCF 16
(6:32 - 1st) Ron Johnson run for no gain to the UCF 16, FG

2nd and 10 at CONN 33
(15:00 - 2nd) Arkeel Newsome run for a loss of 1 yard to the UConn 32M, PUNT

2nd and 7 at UCF 15
(5:30 - 3rd) Arkeel Newsome run for 1 yd to the UCF 14, MISSED FG

Reaction Score
On the rare event Shirreffs throws into the end zone it is ALWAYS into the corner.

Yes it is. So ridiculous. The defense can completely ignore defending the middle of the field anywhere inside the 30.

Gee whiz...i wonder why we're so easy to defend.

Reaction Score
These are the key plays of the game. All 2nd and long, all poorly conceived run plays, all followed by an incomplete 3rd and long pass resulting in stalled drives that should have produced more points.

2nd and 9 at UCF 11

(12:00 - 1st) Bryant Shirreffs run for 6 yds to the UCF 5, FG

2nd and 11 at UCF 16
(6:32 - 1st) Ron Johnson run for no gain to the UCF 16, FG

2nd and 10 at CONN 33
(15:00 - 2nd) Arkeel Newsome run for a loss of 1 yard to the UConn 32M, PUNT

2nd and 7 at UCF 15
(5:30 - 3rd) Arkeel Newsome run for 1 yd to the UCF 14, MISSED FG

Imagine if we got 4+ yards on first down once or twice this season. It would feel like we won the friggin super bowl.

Reaction Score
Imagine if we got 4+ yards on first down once or twice this season. It would feel like we won the friggin super bowl.

Then we should have at a minimum 40 super bowl rings just from 1st down rushing attempts that yielded a first down so far this year ;)

Hyperbole aside, here are the situational stats for rushing and passing YTD.

cfbstats.com - 2016 Connecticut Huskies Rushing Offense Situational Stats (see avg yds per down)

cfbstats.com - 2016 Connecticut Huskies Passing Offense Situational Stats

Reaction Score
Then we should have at a minimum 40 super bowl rings just from 1st down rushing attempts that yielded a first down so far this year ;)

Hyperbole aside, here are the situational stats for rushing and passing YTD.

cfbstats.com - 2016 Connecticut Huskies Rushing Offense Situational Stats (see avg yds per down)

cfbstats.com - 2016 Connecticut Huskies Passing Offense Situational Stats

Fair enough. I get hyperbolic when frustrated Head bang ;).

But the underlying point still stands...Our first down avg ypp is brutal, of course so is second, third, and fourth. But certainly better results on first down would make a difference.

Reaction Score
Pre snap I have no idea why Johnson did not recognize the olb on the left as a threat. He should have stayed close to Shirreffs to pick up the first threat which turned out to be the left olb. Wow was the middle of the field open.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Pre snap I have no idea why Johnson did not recognize the olb on the left as a threat. He should have stayed close to Shirreffs to pick up the first threat which turned out to be the left olb. Wow was the middle of the field open.

in regards to johnson it all depends on the pass pro call. the O-line may have had a slide call and the back could have had backside a gap which looks like is where he was looking. sometimes it appears like the back isnt doing his job but without knowing the protection its hard to know whats going on.

from looking at it LT should have had a HARD HARD call(our call when we have an un expected outside blitzer) at which point the LT takes the furthest rusher, LG next man so on and so forth. all front side guys are 1 v 1 and the back would have picked up the A gap player. either way they sent 7 so you were gonna have a guy on a free release. it was just a matter of time before someone got to BS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anyone else hasn't started it yet, I will. Shirreffs lack of deep ball accuracy among other things is holding this team back. They had 6 points right there easy with a throw in the right spot.

Reaction Score
100% agree, terrible throw as usual. BS should have listened to the NC State guys for he and us.

Conclusion – It is evident by the route running of Thomas that he was running a post pattern. The DB had inside leverage and Thomas smartly gained an outside release, blew by him, and turned inward to run a post pattern. The line held up just enough for Shirreffs to target the middle of the end zone for an easy 6. The lack of a deep safety was obvious from the pre and post snap reads.

Although the UCF OLB was bearing down on him … Shirreffs still appeared to be looking toward the corner. I do not believe the pressure forced the throw off target. Thomas did a tremendous job of spinning around just to get his hands on the ball.

Unfortunately the cameras only focused on the Thomas “drop”. IMHO … Thomas did a tremendous job just to get his hands on that ball.

Reaction Score
He missed a throw earlier where Thomas had his guy beat and because the throw was off target Thomas had to dive instead of staying in stride.

I would like to see Williams, have said that on 50 occasions.

If anyone else hasn't started it yet, I will. Shirreffs lack of deep ball accuracy among other things is holding this team back. They had 6 points right there easy with a throw in the right spot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

We had a good mix on first down and you can't expect every play to work as there is a defense out there. This isn't about results as much either.

These plays were almost all run from a tight power set. 2 TE, 2RB, and 1 WR. I didn't go back at the tape just my memory at the time during the game. These set telegraph run, and in our offense damn near guarantee it. The defense responds by staking the box with up to 10 men, yes 10. They stuff it completely every time because despite any improvement in the OL, they don't drive people off the ball.

It is a mistake of tactics and not necessarily execution as you'd need to be an elite line to run effectively under that setup.

In contrast, when we run 3WR, 1 TE and 1 RB we don't tip run or pass and OL has fewer defenders to block allowing the RB to find a hole.

We even do better in a 2TE, 2WR, 1RB as long as at least 1 TE is split out.

Power should be left for short yardage only and even then we should pass out of it more often. And we should pass more often on 2nd and long, but the change in formation alone would produce better results.

There was one other instance of this scenario against UCF, but I left it put because that was the series Shirreffs went out injured. Memo to the BS haters dreaming of an NFL QB to make every through and lead us to the Rose Bowl, check out that diaster and realize we don't have a better QB on the roster at the moment.

Our current list of problems doesnt include the QB play. Using 4th and desperate at the end of the game as evidence only hurts your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom