A Pivotal Play - The Tyler Davis Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play - The Tyler Davis Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
k-gun, you got a clip that shows his action after making that hand-off? Curious to see if he ever stands with his head down and his back to the play except on this particular play....

For some reason, we do

Reaction Score
yeah I think I get it... and he was frozen solid. If he'd executed the hand-off he was faking, he would've rolled out left to fake the fake...

It was worse live. The concept of a CB blitz blowing up the play was never in anyone of those 11 guys minds on the field. That's a worrisome thought.

The mighty Black Bears from the land of lobster pots had been run blitzing all game long. WTF is a play action pass going to do when the D is coming full house on a run blitz anyway?

Frustrating game.

It was a very, very frustrating game to watch, and even more frustrating to think about.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
For some reason, we do

yeah, so he hands off and follows through with the read option action the other way.... wandering off, picking daisies, with your back to the play just screams "I'm trying to trick you."

Reaction Score
yeah, so he hands off and follows through with the read option action the other way.... wandering off, picking daisies, with your back to the play just screams "I'm trying to trick you."

I am hoping, praying, that our OC told him to "really sell it" and instead of selling the play action, he tried to sell not having the ball. It didn't fool anyone. I'm more worried that his back is to the LOS and his head is in the dirt on regular play action fakes.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
No need to kick a dead horse on the call or the execution; bottom line is we gave up a scoop and score from our red zone, prob a >10 point swing. If this was one big play in a game full of them, we shake it off. Instead it was really the only big play in the game and we were pushed hard to overcome it. Seems to me, if you think you have the better team, you force the action and figure you'll get the better of it. Shortening the game against Maine is loser ball.

Reaction Score
No need to kick a dead horse on the call or the execution; bottom line is we gave up a scoop and score from our red zone, prob a >10 point swing. If this was one big play in a game full of them, we shake it off. Instead it was really the only big play in the game and we were pushed hard to overcome it. Seems to me, if you think you have the better team, you force the action and figure you'll get the better of it. Shortening the game against Maine is loser ball.

I am not against heavily favored teams using gadget plays against weaker competition ... but when you finally start imposing your will on the opposition maybe you stick with what is working.

And maybe you don't waste that play agsinst an FCS team at home on opening night ...

Reaction Score
In fairness, the team didn't crumble after a back breaking play like that. They were down a TD in the 4th because of it, and they rallied to win on a kick that should have run the clock out but didn't.

Against Maine.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree, take away that one play and the game was disappointing but not a train wreck. It's the same problem HCRE had, when you play it too close to the vest you get minimal tolerance for a bad bounce. Sometimes that's a smart choice and sometimes it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom