A Pivotal Play - The Tyler Davis Play | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play - The Tyler Davis Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was definitely a gadget play. We can debate the timing, the execution, and the need for the play at that time in the drive. But it appears the coaching staff is very high on Tyler Davis right now, and I think that is very encouraging.

#1 - The Play - Not much new here ... it's been done numerous times before, as recently as last year by FAU vs Miami.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
#2 - The Set Up - Davis had been lined up as the FB in the offset I during the drive. He made a nice kickout block the previous play to spring Johnson for a big run.
Maine's Strong Safety #29 Matovu was injured on the previous play. The UCONN staff had a little time to think this through.
#2 Offset I Weak.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 - Pre-Snap - Appears to be Man to Man on the 2 outside receivers with safety help over the top. Both CB's are taking away the inside slant. It looks like Shirreffs gets the look they want.
#3 - Man 2 Deep.jpg

Reaction Score
#4 - At the Snap - Peart slides past the WSDE to block the WLB, Davis moves to block the WSDE, O-line zone block right ... Goode knifes inside on a CB blitz

#4 - Snap.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
#5 - Thomas attempts to get a piece of Goode, but is surprised by the CB blitz. Davis dives at the feet of the un-blocked WSDE, the o-line holds as they move right ...

#5 Play Action.jpg

Reaction Score
#9 - Conclusion - I can't believe I'm saying this, but I side with Gresh on this: Why go away from what is working? UCONN had been moving the ball on the ground pretty well on the drive and it was only a matter of time before they would end up in the endzone. They didn't need to use a gadget play.

The play design also has a big weakness ... the QB is exposed because he can't see what is behind him. In the FAU version, the QB has the play in front of him the entire time and the play still worked. However ... UCONN had everything covered except the CB blitz ...

The best part about this whole play was Tyler Davis. He was poised, effective, and executed well. The few pass routes he ran were clean and crisp, and his blocking was effective. I am really looking forward to see what else the staff has in mind for him!

#9 - Conclusion.jpg

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
good stuff k-gun, thanks. this is only going to reinforce the risk aversion we all hate but this play also highlights how conservative game management shrinks your margin for error. we score on that drive and it's probably a pretty comfortable win but still way too close a game.

Reaction Score
It looks like they somehow played the one play that would bust it. If the corner follows Thomas good chance Davis is open and gets a touchdown

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
qb has to be spinning out left there. can't stand frozen with your back to the d.

Reaction Score
qb has to be spinning out left there. can't stand frozen with your back to the d.
I don't you understand the nature of the play. It was a play action play. Play moves right hoping to spring an open receiver (Davis) left. He tried to sell the play, but as Kgun said, Goode (DB for Maine) didn't fall for it. Could he appear frozen because it is a picture?

Reaction Score
I don't you understand the nature of the play. It was a play action play. Play moves right hoping to spring an open receiver (Davis) left. He tried to sell the play, but as Kgun said, Goode (DB for Maine) didn't fall for it. Could he appear frozen because it is a picture?

I don't think you understand what play action is. Play action is not some trick play. It's commonly used at all levels of football, and we do it very wrong.

Reaction Score

Re-watch the game and count how many times Shirreffs spins away from pressure from the left .... at least 6 times. This play concept requires Shirreffs to hide the ball on his hip ... leaving himself vulnerable. Jmick is right regarding the implementation of play action. Much like the FAU version ... your QB does not need to put his back to the LOS in order to employ play action.

Reaction Score
Re-watch the game and count how many times Shirreffs spins away from pressure from the left .... at least 6 times. This play concept requires Shirreffs to hide the ball on his hip ... leaving himself vulnerable. Jmick is right regarding the implementation of play action. Much like the FAU version ... your QB does not need to put his back to the LOS in order to employ play action.

Our awful execution of play action is the biggest reason I have for thinking Verducci has no idea what he's doing. Shirreff's head goes down for way too long every time and his back is to the LOS on more than just this example. We've tried this "hidden ball trick" style of play action for 2 years now and Shirreffs gets drilled more than he fools anyone.

It's not nearly as bad out of the gun, but it's always present from under center.

Reaction Score
I don't think you understand what play action is. Play action is not some trick play. It's commonly used at all levels of football, and we do it very wrong.

This was not basic play action. It was a gadget play. Not saying we do play action correctly, but that was not it.

Reaction Score
Everything about this makes me think about George DeLeone.

There is absolutely nothing good about anything that makes me think about George DeLeone.

It was Maine. Hand the ball to the back and run power.

Reaction Score
This was not basic play action. It was a gadget play. Not saying we do play action correctly, but that was not it.

Agreed. The play resulted in a strip sack fumble TD return by the D.

I never want to see it again.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
yeah I think I get it... and he was frozen solid. If he'd executed the hand-off he was faking, he would've rolled out left to fake the fake...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
k-gun, you got a clip that shows his action after making that hand-off? Curious to see if he ever stands with his head down and his back to the play except on this particular play....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom