A Pivotal play - Navy | The Boneyard

A Pivotal play - Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2nd and 2, 14:30 Remaining 4th Quarter

Although it seemed the game might be out of reach at this point, there was still a full quarter left. Navy’s soft zone created some pretty good opportunities for UCONN … if they could take advantage.

#1 – UCONN in a pretty standard shotgun trips … Navy in 3-4 Cover 2

#1 - Shotgun Trips vs 3-4 Cover 2 Zone.jpg

Reaction Score
#2 – Thomas and Lucas clear out … Navy’s underneath coverage reads Shirreffs as he starts his progression from the left looking at Beals and Myers.

#2 - Thomas and Lucas Clear.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 – Navy rolls their LB’s toward Beals and Myers at the first down marker … Newsome releases and starts a sideline out … Navy’s ILB stays home taking away a potential square in for Lucas.

#3 - Shirreffs looks left.jpg

Reaction Score
#4 – Shirreffs finally looks right … Newsome turns upfield and starts running the wheel portion of his route. However … Newsome never stops …

#4 - Shirreffs looks right.jpg

Reaction Score
#5 – Shirreffs has 2 reads … zip it to Newsome if he sits in front of the LB … or loft it over the LB into the crease that Lucas created when he drove of the deep CB

#5 - Will Newsome sit.jpg

Reaction Score
#6 – Shirreffs reads the LB’s coverage and commits to the underneath throw … but Newsome never “sat” in front of the LB … by the time he reverses direction it is too late.

#6 - Newsome turns back too late.jpg

Reaction Score
Conclusion:

Newsome’s route created an open look and could have easily resulted in a first down. However … the read was a little more difficult because there never was a clear purpose for the route. The timing and the repetition required to pull that off just isn’t where it needs to be between Shirreffs and Newsome. The wheel is more successful when a RB is isolated on a LB in MAN coverage and can take advantage of speed and open space. Newsome’s route actually took him toward the coverage and away from an easy first down … forcing Shirreffs into a pretty difficult read.

Overall … I still like what I am seeing from the offense and I am very glad we see progress from week to week. How many successful Zone Bubbles did we see to Beals this week after seeing almost none against Missouri?

On to BYU …

Reaction Score
There are plays to be made so let's hope we can see improvement in execution this week. You need everyone on the same page and quicker recognition and decision making. Look at what a freshman QB did for Cinci. We are young but that excuse has to go away, soon.

Reaction Score
Great work Kaz. We're so close to busting open the offense, which I really expected to happen against an undersized (but well disciplined) Navy defense. I know all teams can say this, but.....we win the game if Thomas catches what he admitted was a catchable flea flicker, we eschew the field goal and go for the 1st down early, as we were moving crisply down the field, and DiLorenzo runs the proper route on the 4th and 6. So the play calls --flea flicker, the one you diagrammed and the DiLorenzo play-- were all good calls, just poorly executed. We will continue to improve our execution. As long as the play calls are dynamic and unpredictable we will start to score in bunches. Friday night we should click on more of our offensive cylinders.

Reaction Score
I think the ball is in the air in picture #5. Newsome is open. He is looking back. Sherriffs just throws the ball behind him and misses him.

Reaction Score
I think the ball is in the air in picture #5. Newsome is open. He is looking back. Sherriffs just throws the ball behind him and misses him.

Newsome is still running up the sideline in pic#5. Look at where Newsome is in pic #5 vs pic #6 ... he is actually running toward the coverage. Shirreffs correctly reads zone coverage and he needs Newsome to "sit" in front of the LB. Shirreffs can't lead Newsome into the LB's coverage. Shirreffs throws the ball to the only option available to him where it won't be picked off. It is Newsome's job to read the zone coverage as well and find the hole and sit.

I really can't say this enough about Shirreffs and it probably deserves it's own thread: He is very good at throwing the ball to a place where it won't be picked off. Sometimes it looks as if he is making things more difficult for his receivers, when actually he is throwing to a safe location that is less likely to be picked off.

That's why I don't really understand the purpose of the route. It is zone coverage. The receivers need to flood the zone and exploit the holes. If the purpose was to continue down the sideline to utilize the crease vacated by Lucas's route ... it is too slow developing and the line would probably not hold up.

However ... if you were to question why Beals and Myers are practically holding hands on their routes, I would like to know that answer as well.

Reaction Score
Can you break down the play against Mizzou right before the punt block safety? Just so I can see how open Max was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom