A Pivotal Play from the Missouri Game | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play from the Missouri Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1st and 10 at the Missouri 31 with 2:55 left in the 4th quarter.

When UCONN went 5 wide on the last drive of the game the announcers claimed they hadn’t seen it all game. Wrong … they saw it on the first UCONN offensive play of the game. Let’s look at that play first.

Reaction Score
#1 – Shirreffs starts under center, shifts into a 4 wide shotgun, Newsome motions right … empty backfield. Missouri barely adjusts … stays in their 4-3 Cover 2 Zone and drops way off.

#1 - UCONN shifts to 5 wide.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 – Now the first play of the final drive UCONN starts in shotgun 5 wide … Missouri now in 4-3 Cover 2 MAN with press coverage on the wideouts.

#3 - First Play final drive 5 wide.jpg

Reaction Score
#5 – After Lucas’s catch Missouri finally brings on a nickel corner #5 John Gibson and switches to a Zone.

1st and 10 at the Missouri 31 with 2:55 left

#5 - 2 Deep Nickel Zone.jpg

Reaction Score
#6 – Beals runs a quick out … but neither of the Missouri DB’s are fooled as Shirreffs immediately locks on.

#6 - Beals Quick out.jpg

Reaction Score
#7 – Beals is immediately dropped by #7 Dennis for no gain as Thomas and Lemelle run routes upfield and are oblivious to their defenders leaving them to tackle Beals.

#7 - Beals dropped for no gain.jpg

Reaction Score
Conclusion - I have a hard time understanding the route concept. If the same route were run vs man coverage, I don’t think the results would be different. Now if Thomas and Lemelle block … that play goes for 10 yards. Maybe a Trips Bubble Zone Screen would have been the perfect response to that coverage. Even if Shirreffs mis-reads the coverage for Man, I still don’t see that play gaining any yardage.

One final observation: The same 5 receivers were in for the first 5 plays of the drive and 4 of the 5 caught passes. Unless he was being used as a threat to shift to a single back set or block on a WR screen … was Johnson a better option than Newsome? Newsome finally came in for the 2nd and 5 after the Missouri offsides, but was a non-factor as Shirreffs was pressured on the last 2 pass attempts.

This game reminded me a lot of that 2007 visit to Virginia and that 17-16 loss with the high snap on the last drive. I hope the players and coaches learn from the experience and play just as mentally and physically tough vs Navy!

Reaction Score
1st and 10 at the Missouri 31 with 2:55 left in the 4th quarter.

When UCONN went 5 wide on the last drive of the game the announcers claimed they hadn’t seen it all game. Wrong … they saw it on the first UCONN offensive play of the game. Let’s look at that play first.

Good stuff. I would like to see more spread and uptempo against Navy. The offense moved the ball downfield. This must
have been what Sherriffs was talking about when he mentioned opening up the playbook. He needs to keep his head up, downfield so he doesn't miss open targets.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Sherriffs, he had pressure coming at him all game. There were very few clean pockets.

Not every game will be like that, and i expect him to miss far fewer open targets in the future.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Good stuff. I would like to see more spread and uptempo against Navy. The offense moved the ball downfield. This must
have been what Sherriffs was talking about when he mentioned opening up the playbook. He needs to keep his head up, downfield so he doesn't miss open targets.
spread, uptempo is good if we're moving the chains -- can't have quick three and outs against navy.

Reaction Score
Nice work Kaz. I don't think Shirreffs will see the kind of pressure he saw from the Mizzou D the rest of the year. The receivers he didn't see---Thomas in your review and DiLorenzo running open down the middle---will be seen on Saturday. Our offense is on the cusp. Look for it to get into high gear against Navy and beyond. The playbook is now wide open.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nostical, one post would have sufficed.

Reaction Score
My reason for mentioning the missed receiver on the first play of the game wasn't meant to slight Shirreffs. It was to show that the coaching staff came into this game with a plan. They showed an offensive set early in the game, studied the opponent's reaction, and came back to it later in the game. They attempted to exploit an opponent's weakness by putting UCONN's play makers in a position to be successful. THIS IS NOT GDL's GOAL LINE WISHBONE! That is why I have hope for this season and beyond!

Now if only the coaches could explain why they had Ron Johnson lined up out in space man to man with a LB. Unless the staff wanted to keep the option to shift to a single back 4 wide for additional blocking, I don't believe he was the best option in that situation. Anyone from a list of Newsome, Bloom, or Myers ... IMHO.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
KGun - Great stuff!

May I ask how you accumulated such in-depth knowledge of the game and ability to break down tape?

As someone else had mentioned like the every week post on this!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I think he calls GDL for his insight.:)
If so, KGun would only be able to break down a run between the guards...and not read a defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom