A Pivotal Play – Houston (#1) | The Boneyard

A Pivotal Play – Houston (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2nd Quarter – UCONN 2nd & 14 from the Houston 26. Newsome just lost 4 yards on 1st down, coming off the first fumble recovery.

#1 – UCONN in another unbalanced line, Levy on Knappe’s right and Rutherford in for Samra, 1RB, 2 TE, 2 WR …. Houston in a 3-3-5 Cover 1 alignment

#1 - FS Cover 1.jpg

Reaction Score
#2 – Anderson goes in motion leaving only Hopkins and Bloom to protect the Boyle’s blind side … Houston FS drops deeper at the snap …

#2 - Anderson motion.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 – Play action to Newsome keeps 9 Houston defenders within 5 yards of LOS … SS back side blitz …

#3 - PA Newome.jpg

Reaction Score
#4 – No Houston LB’s drop back … SS coming hard … Houston CB with underneath alignment expecting deep safety help …

#4 - Boyle reads the open middle.jpg

Reaction Score
#5 – Boyle stands tall and looks to throw to the spot … Thomas coming out of his break … Houston SS #18 McDonald about to crush Boyle

#5 - Boyle about to get pasted.jpg

Reaction Score
#6 – A very well thrown ball by Boyle as he pays the price … catches Thomas coming out of his break perfectly …

#6 - Well thrown Ball.jpg

Reaction Score
#7 – Thomas protects the ball with 2 hands as he prepares for the hit from the DB’s …

#7 - Thomas protects.jpg

Reaction Score
Conclusion – This was 2nd & 14 and Houston was in a nickel package. UCONN had been running pretty successfully out of the unbalanced line formation so the play action was sellable and very successful. Boyle’s improved poise and leadership is on full display as he stands in against a SS with a full head of steam. He knows he will get crushed and never flinches.

I also like the max block scheme with only 2 receivers in the pattern. However … one aspect of the play peaks my curiosity: Why motion Anderson away from where he can help block to where he is virtually a bystander? More on that later …

Reaction Score
Conclusion – This was 2nd & 14 and Houston was in a nickel package. UCONN had been running pretty successfully out of the unbalanced line formation so the play action was sellable and very successful. Boyle’s improved poise and leadership is on full display as he stands in against a SS with a full head of steam. He knows he will get crushed and never flinches.

I also like the max block scheme with only 2 receivers in the pattern. However … one aspect of the play peaks my curiosity: Why motion Anderson away from where he can help block to where he is virtually a bystander? More on that later …

LOL. I see where this one is going.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen the game yet but just from the highlights it looked like the qb s worked on getting rid of the ball sooner and the timing with the receivers looked the best it has been all season

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, this play set up the trick play to Anderson and then Thomas. The trick play wasn't the next play run, but it was run out of the same formation with a similar pre snap motion?

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, this play set up the trick play to Anderson and then Thomas. The trick play wasn't the next play run, but it was run out of the same formation with a similar pre snap motion?
You got it. So sweet.

Reaction Score
You got it. So sweet.
To me, that's the sign of good play calling, setting up your opponent. It's like a chess match. Not being predictable and leaving them on their toes not knowing what to expect. And when they make a move expecting something, and you're able to pull something like we saw Saturday night, you leave them with their pants at their ankles and 7 more points on the board.

Reaction Score
Two plays before the touchdown pass, didn't they motion Garrett to the left and hit him for a swing pass for an 8 yard gain?? Wearing the number 24, he appeared to be a running back-not our backup QB.- further adding to the deception yourselves discussed above.

Reaction Score
Two plays before the touchdown pass, didn't they motion Garrett to the left and hit him for a swing pass for an 8 yard gain?? Wearing the number 24, he appeared to be a running back-not our backup QB.- further adding to the deception yourselves discussed above.
He did motion left and catch a swing pass. Can't recall when it happened though. His first catch and pass in the same game. Obviously both the first of his college career.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
2nd Quarter – UCONN 2nd & 14 from the Houston 26. Newsome just lost 4 yards on 1st down, coming off the first fumble recovery.

#1 – UCONN in another unbalanced line, Levy on Knappe’s right and Rutherford in for Samra, 1RB, 2 TE, 2 WR …. Houston in a 3-3-5 Cover 1 alignment

View attachment 11197
Dude, I hope you keep this up. Great stuff! These have been entertaining and educational.

Reaction Score
Someone said they hear Gruden's voice while reading his breakdowns, I'm thinking more Ron Jaworski (Jaw's). I haven't seen any XZY Banana calls yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom