A Pivotal play – Cincinnati | The Boneyard

A Pivotal play – Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN 1st & 10 at their own 45 following the Carrezola fumble recovery.

#1 – UCONN comes out with 3 Receivers, 1 TE, 1 RB. Cincy in their Base 4-2-5 typically deploying #9 Payne man to man on UCONN’s slot Y receiver. Shirreffses’ first read is #9 Payne who had blitzed numerous times form his Y coverage all game.
#1 - Payne.jpg

Reaction Score
#2 – Myers motions to the backfield, Thomas gets on the line. Shirreffses’ next read is zone coverage on Beals occupying the OLB and S over the top. #9 Payne remains in underneath zone coverage or delayed Blitz which Myers will thwart.

#2 - Beals has LB-S Zone.jpg

Reaction Score
#3 – At the snap #9 Payne does not blitz, outside receivers are man to man, Beals occupies one safety.

#3 - Beals occupies 2.jpg

Reaction Score
#4 – Shirreffs pumps, CB bites, safety is flat, Thomas gets a step … Myers and Newsome release

#4 - Shirreffs pumps, CB bites.jpg

Reaction Score
#5 – 5 OL blocking 4 DL impeccably … Shirreffs easily steps into his throw.

#5 - OL Holds.jpg

Reaction Score
#7 – Thomas slows up for the underthrown ball … INT

#7 - INT.jpg

Reaction Score
Conclusion: The coaching staff dialed up the perfect play at the perfect time and exploited an aggressive Cincy D. Payne had been on the slot receiver pretty much the whole game up to that point and I’m pretty sure Myers was in the backfield to defend against a delayed blitz. Shirreffs just needed to put a little more distance on that throw. Also … the crazy thing about that play is there were other options that would have gained reasonable yardage. Newsome in space on a LB, Myers 1 on 1 with a CB/LB, and Thomas behind 2 DB’s. Tough to hang this one on Shirreffs … but a well thrown ball at that point in the game could have changed momentum and potentially the outcome of that game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
totally clean pocket. ol play is a snap response when we talk about our lack of downfield passing... not in this instance....

Reaction Score
I love these posts. The ball was underthrown. Thomas also had a chance to make a play on the ball and didn't. Stars need to make plays like those.

Reaction Score
Type of play we've grown accustomed to Thomas making but we shouldn't have to rely on him making. Live I was thinking "Shirreffs can't throw the ball that far" when I saw where Thomas was. Timing just a smidgen off. Even after the D got a hand on it I was half expecting Thomas to emerge with the ball.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I love these posts. The ball was underthrown. Thomas also had a chance to make a play on the ball and didn't. Stars need to make plays like those.

Agreed. The catch he made against USF shows he can make the difficult catches. This one hit him right in the bread basket. It's slightly under thrown but we need our playmakers to make those plays. At worst, we need him to draw a PI flag. It's a shame that a good play call like this went to complete waste...and soon, utter disaster with the turnover.

Reaction Score
I still think Noel Thomas is one of the most complete WR's we have seen at Uconn in a while. He high points the ball well, makes a lot of catches in traffic and the thing I love the most he's a willing blocker at all times. I think we see him really put it all together over the next two seasons and put himself into NFL draft talk.

Reaction Score
I love the analysis as well. I just find it hard to call it a pivotal play. We got our azzes kicked on Sat. No one play was going to make a difference. I think Cincy could've put up 50+ if they wanted

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It absolutely was the pivotal play of the game. We just turned them over, called the right play, and had guys open all over the field as Kgun demonstrated. The score at the point was "only" 24-10. If Thomas comes down that pass OR Shirreffs throws a slightly better ball that Thomas comes down with, we are, at worst, inside their red zone. Who knows - Thomas could have taken it to the house with a better thrown ball. No guarantee that we get 6 of course (or even 3), but it extends the game for sure. After that INT, Cinci moved the ball down our throats (again) and got 3 more points and essentially sealed the game at that point.

Of course, connecting on this play wouldn't have solved any of our defensive deficiencies that we had our game. But it would have extended the game, which is all you can ask for when you are playing against a better, more talented team. Not saying we would have won the game by any stretch - just saying it would have kept it more of a battle for longer.

Reaction Score
I enjoy these as well. Didn't that Callahan guy used to do these? Is KGun and Callahan one in the same?

Reaction Score
Kgun7 and Callahan are not one in the same ... unless you owe Callahan money!

I follow the Nicky Santoro method of gambling. When I win, I collect. When I lose, I tell the bookies to go themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom