A New Dawn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A New Dawn?

Reaction Score
Dawn got on them at half time. I was impressed by their second-half efforts. I think they will use the loss to their advantage.
I suspect Dawn had put in a strategy that early on was clearly not going to work with Kia draining 3's, KLS getting layups, etc. Credit her for keeping her troops engaged and playing hard the second half. Some good young players that we will need to contend with in future.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Kama Sutra of swearing as it were?! You pay extra for that ticket?
Nope. Totally usage dependent. Meaning in the clinical sense. My back is still hurting.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Missouri game and its aftermath was very unfortunate but overall I thought Dawn handled it as well as one could. I'm sure it affected her emotionally; perhaps she was a bit drained last night.

I saw the Missouri game on TV and it surely was a different atmosphere.
There has been a great deal of defense of Dawn's character (poor thing); somewhat less of her tactics... from Geno to your post above.

I'm not convinced (without evidence) that allegations of the Missouri folks are
completely groundless; I just don't feel they would have complained so publicly and vehemently if nothing had happened. What we saw on TV was hostile enough. Her statement encouraging her fans to act any way they feel like it (not exactly what she said but a reasonable paraphrase) was hardly impressive.

With all the talk of the 2nd quarter beatdown, UConn showed itself to be far superior quite early in the 1st quarter; they just hadn't amassed the large point differential. That by itself might have taken the attendees out of the game (I suppose)

But I remain suspicious of the huge difference in the audience's reactions to events during the two games and can certainly suspect that in the former, there was some over-hyping of the crowd's emotions (creating a mob like atmosphere), while in the last night's, she would dare not try such a trick in front of Geno, especially having been called out, earlier in the week and realizing the problems that she was capable of bringing on herself.

I certainly don't acquaint her passivity with a "drained" individual.

Bah, humbug!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She didnt call one time out in first half! How can you not especially that 2nd quarter?

That's easy. She didn't want to prolong the agony. Let's hurry up and get this over with!!! The more time outs she calls, the longer that wuppin was going to last. She been around basketball enough to know when she's up against an opponent that you can't beat that night, no matter what. UConn was ripping her team a new one. All the time outs in the world was not going to change that. What was she going to tell them? She had been preparing all week for UConn. Everything she had, she gave to them in practice. Obviously it wasn't enough. Down by 30+ in the 2nd quarter, :eek: let it ride. Let's get this thing over and get out of here. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
She didnt call one time out in first half! How can you not especially that 2nd quarter?
My thinking on that was that for a timeout to have purpose, there had to be something that could be done. Usually a timeout is called to break the momentum of the other team. But the problem wasn't that UConn had more momentum, that they were hyped up and playing out of their minds, it was just that UConn was better. They were cool and collected, but just executing wonderfully. A timeout wouldn't have changed anything. It would have just extended their misery.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With about 2:20 to go in the first quarter Dawn managed to say word about 4 or 5 or 6 times in a 9 word sentence, up close and personal. Okay, maybe it was 11 words. I suspect it was used as a pronoun, and adjective and a verb in that sentence...at least.

PS. Seriously, is this board so Monastically Puritanicallyout of it that saying the first letter of word gets zapped! Seriously/! That's seriously Fed up. How about copulation ... is that Okay. So I can say Dawn said the copulation word as a pronoun, adjective and verb at least 4, 5, 6 times in an 11 word sentence and it would not be touched by Big Brother?

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In 2015 when SC came to UCONN it was all black for the coaching staff.
I wonder how that superstitious monochrome color scheme idea is working out.

Reaction Score
Maybe she saw a boulder rolling down hill picking up speed and thought there was nothing she could do to stop it?

Can't imagine what a coach could find to be upset about in the second quarter. The execution was perfect and UConn was draining everything.

No attack at either of you just a difference of opinion. :) HF21 what you describe is the reason teams are allowed some time outs. Time outs can be used to stop momentum, reset a tone, or simply a free teaching moment in a high pressure situation that cannot be replicated in practice. Dawn left money on the table for absolutely no reason. At that point she had not a reason in the world to save her time outs and every reason to use them even if within a minute of each other.
Left a lot of questions at least in my mind on her ability to coach the Olympic team.
GF77.....See above....;)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In 2015 when SC came to UCONN it was all black for the coaching staff.
That was also the game where there was a big snowstorm (and the roof needed some serious work).

roofless_gampel.jpg

Reaction Score
She did, with 1:51 left in the 2nd quarter but it was too late.
I know but like dribbling without a purpose. Calling that timeout had the same meaning.

Reaction Score
Why did Dawn wait so long to call a timeout in the 2nd quarter? The game was put away in the 2nd quarter and Dawn used her first timeout when her team was down by 28 points.
I'm not sure the bleeding could have been stopped but something needed to be tried much earlier in the 2nd quarter.

Would you call a timeout during surgery? Why prolong the agony? Done quicker, the pain stops quicker.:confused:

Reaction Score
I wonder how that superstitious monochrome color scheme idea is working out.

What's really, really, weird is upon watching a second time, in my opinion, we still win. Weird.Head bang

Reaction Score
Dawn has been a truly great player and her persistence, drive and demeanor (obviously in addition to her skills), made her such.
She has built a very strong program fro literally nothing but Her strengths may also be part of her weakness.
I was not impressed with her coaching and think it's a bit of nonsense to not use your time outs so you can get out of there quicker. Woof 101 is right on.
When you watch many of the games where we beat strong teams this year, most coaches leave their best players in so the score looks a bit better in the end.
I don't see her coming close to resembling Geno's impact as national team coach. They probably win because the talent is do strong. She's not now(and may never be) at the coaching level of Tara or Muffet.
It will be interesting to see what happens after AJ graduates.
Bronx24

Reaction Score
With about 2:20 to go in the first quarter Dawn managed to say word about 4 or 5 or 6 times in a 9 word sentence, up close and personal. Okay, maybe it was 11 words. I suspect it was used as a pronoun, and adjective and a verb in that sentence...at least.

PS. Seriously, is this board so Monastically Puritanicallyout of it that saying the first letter of word gets zapped! Seriously/! That's seriously Fed up. How about copulation ... is that Okay. So I can say Dawn said the copulation word as a pronoun, adjective and verb at least 4, 5, 6 times in an 11 word sentence and it would not be touched by Big Brother?

Mid 1970’s, just starting a coaching career, went to a clinic to listen to Bob Knight speak about man defense. He prefaced his presentation by apologizing to any women in the audience for what he would say later because he only had two speeches; one he gave to the PTA, the other to the coaches. He was an incredibly intelligent man who knew man team defense inside out, but just “wow”. That man could swear like a mule skinner. If you could sort out the vulgarities you learned a great deal about basketball, but as a young coach I had trouble correlating his IQ to his vocabulary. I’m no prude, having spent a lot of time in college locker rooms, but when it’s over the top it just comes off as overbearing to me. Doesn’tmake me right, JMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom