A new article on Megan Walker | The Boneyard

A new article on Megan Walker

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She comes with an impressive resume. Walker scored 2,062 career points and led Monacan High to three straight state Class 4A championships, averaging 25.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 3.2 steals as a senior. She capped off the Chiefs' 30-0 season in March with 35 points, 11 rebounds, five steals, and six blocked shots and scored her team's final 16 points -- including the decisive basket on a spin move in the lane with 15 seconds left -- in a 60-59 win over King's Fork.

Three straight championships, like Maya.

Undefeated senior season, like Maya.

Took over the championship game, like Kaleena.

That's an impressive write-up!

Reaction Score
I am sure her talent will make her another DT in women basketball.
Screenshot (4).png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have to say, I'm with Geno on this one (he talked about her struggles in the recent USA U-19 games):

"Megan struggled a little bit, as most high school kids do when they are playing against pros," Auriemma said. "I don't think she played in the second half of the championship game. So it was kind of a reminder to her. I don't think anybody cares over here that you are the national high school Player of the Year."

I am hoping for great things from her. IMHO she's not going to be one of the all time greats (Maya, Stewie, Dee), but it remains to be seen if she ends up being as "good" as Charles/Jefferson (as close to all time greats as you can get), or a #1 more like KML or Strother. Obviously I'm hoping for a Charles/Jefferson type of greatness from her, but we will have 4 years to enjoy her journey and follow her play!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have to say, I'm with Geno on this one (he talked about her struggles in the recent USA U-19 games):

"Megan struggled a little bit, as most high school kids do when they are playing against pros," Auriemma said. "I don't think she played in the second half of the championship game. So it was kind of a reminder to her. I don't think anybody cares over here that you are the national high school Player of the Year."

I am hoping for great things from her. IMHO she's not going to be one of the all time greats (Maya, Stewie, Dee), but it remains to be seen if she ends up being as "good" as Charles/Jefferson (as close to all time greats as you can get), or a #1 more like KML or Strother. Obviously I'm hoping for a Charles/Jefferson type of greatness from her, but we will have 4 years to enjoy her journey and follow her play!
We saw great college players like Maya and Stewie struggle against the pros in the World Cup. It's no surprise that Meg had some struggles. Let's see what her teammates and coaches can teach her.

I don't agree with putting Kaleena and Ann in the same group. I loved Ann as a person and a player, and she had a nice career, finishing in the top 10 in UConn scoring (at the time). But Kaleena finished tied for 4th at a later date, despite missing 12 or more games. She was a 2-time All-American, 3-time national champion, and the NCAA record holder for 3-pointers made in a career. If you ignore her struggles in the pros, her career has exceeded all but about 6 former Huskies (Diana, Maya, Stewie, Tina, Moriah, and Sue). I'd put her ahead of Morgan, Bria, Stef, Swin, et al. and about even with Sveta and Nykesha. She wasn't NPOY like Rebecca, Kara, or Jen, but her career was better in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Megan has charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. She seems to embrace the moment and even chose the number 3 because of Diana, I think she'll go down as one of the greats and challenge for a spot on mouth rushmore of Uconn.

Reaction Score
The cream rises to the top. Geno's system makes you rise to the occasion. If it's in Megan it will come out and shine through. Look at Gabby. She still has confidence issues but when the big moments came, she did not shy away from the spotlight and challenge.
Megan has had a lot of responsibility placed on her shoulders before coming to UCONN. She accepted them adjusted and performed.

I must admit that I was hoping for another Maya/Stewart (instant success). Megan has shown flashes of greatness. Let's trust in the system. She will grow and develop.

The same happened to Dangerfield. Last year she was streaky/inconsistent. This summer she was the unquestioned leader on the U19.

Reaction Score
I feel like phese can be on the DT, maya moore, Stewie level by the time it's all said and done.

For her age, and size her game is so complete. From three point range, FG%,rebounding etc. NC is amazing in her own right, with two more years.
If her game gross over the next two years like it has already then she's on that level.

Reaction Score
The cream rises to the top. Geno's system makes you rise to the occasion. If it's in Megan it will come out and shine through. Look at Gabby. She still has confidence issues but when the big moments came, she did not shy away from the spotlight and challenge.
Megan has had a lot of responsibility placed on her shoulders before coming to UCONN. She accepted them adjusted and performed.

I must admit that I was hoping for another Maya/Stewart (instant success). Megan has shown flashes of greatness. Let's trust in the system. She will grow and develop.

The same happened to Dangerfield. Last year she was streaky/inconsistent. This summer she was the unquestioned leader on the U19.

I don't remember BS having instant success. I remember a girl that struggled, and was benched half way thru the season. Of course things really clicked during the post season run but but no means was it instant?
Most struggle- KLS had her struggles frosh year as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As fans and boosters, the worst thing you can do is try and rush her (or any freshman's) development. As great as she was in high school, she's a babe at this new level, still nursing on Similac. Give her this first year to adjust without expecting her to perform at the level she did in high school.

It's been done before, but only by a very few. Allow her to get weened off of formula, and begin to ingest and hold down some solid foods first. Most of the great ones struggle at first. Allow her room to grow.

As JustinesGuy stated above "I don't remember BS having instant success. I remember a girl that struggled, and was benched half way thru the season. Of course things really clicked during the post season run but but no means was it instant? Most struggle- KLS had her struggles frosh year as well".

In high school, she was always the best player on the floor. Now, most players she's on the court with are as good as she is, or better. She has to adjust to that as well as the speed of the game. There's also the mental aspect. She's going to be asked to do things she was not asked to do in high school, and do them consistently at a high level.

Don't forget what Dangerfield said about 2 weeks after official practice began last year: "Nothing I did in high school or AAU prepared me for what I've experienced here at UConn thus far". Remember what Gabby said just before the season began her sophomore year? "I'm ready now. Now I know what I'm doing".

Megan and her classmates will be looked upon by the staff to make huge contributions next year with Gabby and Kia gone. Because of the veteran players they have in front of them, they can afford the luxury of sitting back and watching how it's done the UConn way.

You can learn a lot watching from the bench. All things in time. There is no doubt in my mind that they will be ready to answer that call. The staff will have them ready. They'll make that sophomore leap for sure. Look at the progress that Dangerfield has made. Geno has openly acknowledged that. If she can do it, so can they.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't remember BS having instant success. I remember a girl that struggled, and was benched half way thru the season. Of course things really clicked during the post season run but but no means was it instant?
Didn't Stewie start out her freshman year setting the record for most points in first 10 games? That's pretty close to instant success in my opinion, but then she had a mid-season slump.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess struggle is relative, BS scored 20 or more points in three of her first 4 games of her career the most impressive start of any UCONN freshmen. KLS started only 1 game as a freshmen but managed to lead the team in scoring.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff! I actually think that Mikayla Coombs will get the most PT this year of the 4 frosh. My sense is that we have a greater need for quality depth at point guard rather than wing.
Based on what we've seen in articles and tape on Mikayla I think her abilities to play the point and to defend will get her in the rotation on a regular basis against weaker teams and against high quality opponents and when the season ends with a delightful win in Columbus, Coombs will have the most minutes and impact of the wonderful incoming frosh.

Reaction Score
We can debate her future, but she is already talking like a Huskie:
"I think I gave our team a good spark off the bench and that was about playing my role. You have to do what the team needs to be successful. I think being here for summer session here helped me because you learn that it's not about you anymore. It's about the team. Whatever the team needed me to do, I was going to do it."

Remember when we had angst about her high school tweets sounding somewhat self-aggrandizing? The kid's got the right 'tude now, for sure.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Megan has charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. She seems to embrace the moment and even chose the number 3 because of Diana, I think she'll go down as one of the greats and challenge for a spot on mouth rushmore of Uconn.

Is she also a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race? Hahaha

Reaction Score
Hey Milford,i think of all the Uconn folks only Geno and DT will make it to mouth Rushmore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff! I actually think that Mikayla Coombs will get the most PT this year of the 4 frosh. My sense is that we have a greater need for quality depth at point guard rather than wing.
Based on what we've seen in articles and tape on Mikayla I think her abilities to play the point and to defend will get her in the rotation on a regular basis against weaker teams and against high quality opponents and when the season ends with a delightful win in Columbus, Coombs will have the most minutes and impact of the wonderful incoming frosh.
I don't know if she is up to Geno's standards yet, but I think Mikayla has the potential to be an elite defender. That could get her early PT. Geno likens her to Kia Nurse, which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
No doubt most do/will struggle. From all indicators M.Walker will not be exempt.

Instant success.Yes. I would say that Stewart and Maya's freshmen years were instantly successful.
Stewart started 14 games was the second leading scorer on the team and averaged over 22pts in the tourny. She was the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four. She was successful from the start but yes she had her struggles. Someone already mentioned her record breaking scoring start of the season.

Maya is Maya. She started 30 games as a freshman. She lead the team in scoring etc ... yada yada yada..
I was hoping M.Walker would have a similar start. From the looks of the U19 performance we may have to wait later rather than sooner to see her shine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom