A&M vs UTenn | The Boneyard

A&M vs UTenn

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good win.
I always like listing to Gary Blair. Here is his closing remarks Hey, you have a great place here. Get off of Holly's case. She is doing a great job. She had the number one recruiting class in the country last year, she has the number three coming next year. How would any of you guys like to replace a legend? It's pretty hard. Get off of her case; she is doing a great job. I love your atmosphere. I love Thompson-Boling Arena."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Good win.

Yes, fantastic how Tennessee was just able to avert getting swept home and away by a middling team like A&M.

Good win.
I always like listing to Gary Blair. Here is his closing remarks Hey, you have a great place here. Get off of Holly's case. She is doing a great job. She had the number one recruiting class in the country last year, she has the number three coming next year. How would any of you guys like to replace a legend? It's pretty hard. Get off of her case; she is doing a great job. I love your atmosphere. I love Thompson-Boling Arena."

That was pretty much verbatim what he said last year. I'm fairly certain that the rival coaches would love to see Holly stay as head coach. Take it for what you will.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes, fantastic how Tennessee was just able to avert getting swept home and away by a middling team like A&M.

That was pretty much verbatim what he said last year. I'm fairly certain that the rival coaches would love to see Holly stay as head coach. Take it for what you will.
Russell, Holdsclaw, and Parker are the only Tennessee players with 40 + double doubles. I say That's pretty good accomplishment for Russell.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Russell, Holdsclaw, and Parker are the only Tennessee players with 40 + double doubles. I say That's pretty good accomplishment for Russell.
Russell is 6-6 and she was the #1 recruit coming out of high school. She should have a double-double every single game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Russell is 6-6 and she was the #1 recruit coming out of high school. She should have a double-double every single game.

Yes, but Russell did all her work playing only one half. She typically disappears in the second. But it’s hard to concentrate for a whole 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes I should back off Holly as well..... I have never thought she was the person who could pick up the mantle for Pat.... and even she thinks that herself I think..... The first year the motto was "Grind for 9" but havent had the overt aspirations since then... at least outwardly.... I see the lack of boxing out on D and bad shot selection on O.... but good for them.... a win is a win..... hats off to them..... maybe they can string along some Ws

Reaction Score
The last two have multiple NCAA champion rings, if you ask them which they prefer, double doubles or championship, I would say the choice is obvious. Case closed .

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The last two have multiple NCAA champion rings, if you ask them which they prefer, double doubles or championship, I would say the choice is obvious. Case closed .
Yes the championship rings are more important. Russell also needs 29 rebounds to be the sixth Lady Vol to join the 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds club.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Except it's not remotely a choice in the case of Russell.

If you ask any player whether they'd rather have double doubles or a championship, there would be be no question, but for the question to be meaningful you have to explain how giving up a double double helps lead to a championship.

Oddly, that is a legitimate question in the case of UConn. There are players who would have more double doubles and some players — Gabby Williams come to mind – who have failed to get triple doubles because there were more important goals.

But Williams failed to get a triple-double because it was in the team's best interest and her health best interest to limit her minutes. That's not the case with Mercedes. She plays close to her ability in the first half and then disappears in the second half. If that happens a couple times it might simply be happenstance but it's become so common it's worth asking why. And I don't know the answer. I don't know whether she's failing to get herself open (as some have argued) or her teammates have failed to get it to her, but her second half stats aren't because she's sitting on the bench.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It was a good win for TN. They desperately needed that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mercedes. With Tennessee's rich history of great players, that's quite an accomplishment. As much as she's improved (and gotten healthy after her foot issues), I still don't know that she strings together an entire game of 100% effort. Sometimes I get that Tenn's guards aren't necessarily looking to "feed" the post, but as a senior and a leader, I'm a bit surprised she doesn't "demand" the ball from the guards, and "tell them" what needs to happen.

I suspect part of it is her personality (laid back kid) and part of it is the coaches lack of understanding of getting the most out of every player and developing them to their full potential. I know Mercedes has improved a lot, but with her size and mobility, her numbers should be even bigger IMHO.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mercedes. With Tennessee's rich history of great players, that's quite an accomplishment. As much as she's improved (and gotten healthy after her foot issues), I still don't know that she strings together an entire game of 100% effort. Sometimes I get that Tenn's guards aren't necessarily looking to "feed" the post, but as a senior and a leader, I'm a bit surprised she doesn't "demand" the ball from the guards, and "tell them" what needs to happen.

I suspect part of it is her personality (laid back kid) and part of it is the coaches lack of understanding of getting the most out of every player and developing them to their full potential. I know Mercedes has improved a lot, but with her size and mobility, her numbers should be even bigger IMHO.
Yes its a nice accomplishment. I think one reason sometimes she doesn't get more touches. Is defense's are packing inside on her. Also at times the team takes quick shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom