A&M and maybe the best recruiting class ever n icollege football...cost? Estimates of $25-30 milllion | The Boneyard

A&M and maybe the best recruiting class ever n icollege football...cost? Estimates of $25-30 milllion

Reaction Score
It has now gotten to the point of "buying" a recruiting class....

Reaction Score
It has now gotten to the point of "buying" a recruiting class....
The source of this rumor is a guy named slicedbread on some random chat room. I hereby say UConn spent 40 million on their class. Both my statement and SlicedBread's carry the same amount of credibility.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Good article on why CFB is basically the SEC and that's it. Also explains how the rest of the P5 is allowing it to happen because they're too busy squabbling over their own garbage.

Found this line interesting:
And what of 2026, when the four-team agreement ends? Why would anyone think – especially after the additions of Oklahoma and Texas – the SEC will still be willing to play ball like it is now? Maybe the conference is so untouchable by then, it breaks off into its own playoff, or it even leaves the NCAA entirely, or takes a few more select schools here or there?

That’s the risk taken to protect the Rose Bowl’s sunset or die on a 5+1 hill?

“Don’t assume if we’re at a tipping point,” Sankey warned, “that we’ll re-engage.”

Reaction Score

Good article on why CFB is basically the SEC and that's it. Also explains how the rest of the P5 is allowing it to happen because they're too busy squabbling over their own garbage.

Found this line interesting:
It would be a huge mistake. While college football might be dominated by teams from the south due to their access to HS Talent, it is still played and enjoyed by people all over the country. Bama v. UGA was the lowest rated game in over a decade because people aren’t interested in seeing SEC Rematches or potentially worse SEC Rematch Rematches. Expand the playoff and at least you engage everybody for a round or two even if The SEC ends up winning 7 out of 10 years.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
It would be a huge mistake. While college football might be dominated by teams from the south due to their access to HS Talent, it is still played and enjoyed by people all over the country. Bama v. UGA was the lowest rated game in over a decade because people aren’t interested in seeing SEC Rematches or potentially worse SEC Rematch Rematches. Expand the playoff and at least you engage everybody for a round or two even if The SEC ends up winning 7 out of 10 years.
Yup That shouldn't surprise anyone. Great post.

Reaction Score
No idea if any of that is true. But let's stipulate for a moment that what SlicedBread said is true. Are any of us at all surprised?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
That was the point of the article. The other major conferences are too hung up on themselves that aren't trying to stop what is already happening.

The commissioners of the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC acknowledge this. What are they doing with a 12-team playoff proposal sitting on their doorstep like an unwrapped gift though?

Screwing it up.

The Pac-12 wants to protect the Rose Bowl’s television slot. The Big Ten is hung up on whether the six automatic bids should go to the six highest-rated conference champions or the so-called Power 5 leagues, plus the best of the rest (a distinction with hardly any practical difference). The ACC is trying to bully Notre Dame into becoming a full-time member so it can then renegotiate its horrific long-term TV contract.

In other words, fiddling while the sport burns.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who is pushing hard for the 12-team format, decried the “parochiality” of the other leagues that are “more concerned about their own silos.”

The SEC, meanwhile, is willing to go to 12, but keeps popping championship Champagne and signing the best players with the status quo. “I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but we’re doing very well in the current system,” commissioner Greg Sankey quipped on Monday.

Sankey keeps shaking his head while watching conferences that desperately need expansion block expansion over small and often insignificant reasons. This is folly. This is ridiculous.

Like you said, the NC game is getting low ratings because no one outside of SEC country cares anymore. Expanding to a 12 team playoff might not fully stop the SEC from pulling away in its dominance, but it at least makes CFB seem like there's more of a shot for others.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The source of this rumor is a guy named slicedbread on some random chat room. I hereby say UConn spent 40 million on their class. Both my statement and SlicedBread's carry the same amount of credibility.
But you aren't sliced bread and more people know about sliced bread

Reaction Score
Nah, he said it at a car wash

Reaction Score
That was the point of the article. The other major conferences are too hung up on themselves that aren't trying to stop what is already happening.

Like you said, the NC game is getting low ratings because no one outside of SEC country cares anymore. Expanding to a 12 team playoff might not fully stop the SEC from pulling away in its dominance, but it at least makes CFB seem like there's more of a shot for others.
Why do we keep suggesting 12 teams when 8 or 16 is the fairest way to stage a tournament? Do we really need to give the top 4 more of an advantage?

Reaction Score
I'll repeat what I've said before. Read "Billion Dollar Ball" and you'll see the future and it isn't a good one for college sports.

Too much money, loss of traditional rivalries, and over saturation of games broadcast on various platforms has already resulted in empty seats at storied SEC programs like Florida.

Look at student attendance at many schools (UConn among them) and it makes you wonder what they're doing with their time six Saturdays (well, some Saturdays) in the Fall. Are video games that much more fun than being part of a crowd of fellow students on a nice Fall day?

Reaction Score
Not sure about the veracity of the article about A&M, but I don’t know why anyone would be surprised if this is in fact going on already. A lot of what comes out of NIL will be pretty grotesque.

Reaction Score

Not really - look at our class :)

Reaction Score
I'll repeat what I've said before. Read "Billion Dollar Ball" and you'll see the future and it isn't a good one for college sports.

Too much money, loss of traditional rivalries, and over saturation of games broadcast on various platforms has already resulted in empty seats at storied SEC programs like Florida.

Look at student attendance at many schools (UConn among them) and it makes you wonder what they're doing with their time six Saturdays (well, some Saturdays) in the Fall. Are video games that much more fun than being part of a crowd of fellow students on a nice Fall day?
Over watching UConn's football product over the last 10 year? Absolutely videogames are better. When they were winning, I'd say it's a push for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom