A Love/Hate Situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Love/Hate Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If an NIT game is a penny, an NCAA game is a 10 dollar bill. What Creighton Marquette and UConn do over the next 3 weeks will determine how the Big East is viewed going into the offseason

Absolutely. There was a unique opportunity though in this specific instance to get a better return on the pennies than usually afforded.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Still makes the perception of the conference look bad. All anyone is going to see is that the Big East is 1-4 in the NIT which further reinforces people's belief that the conference is bad.

No one cares about the NIT.

It’s just a talking point for simpletons.

Reaction Score
UVA's pathetic loss in the NCAA play-in game speaks way louder than anything going on in the other tournament that has a brief window Monday-Wednesday after selection Sunday but going forward no one knows what, where or when those games are.

August_West

Reaction Score
No one cares about the NIT.

It’s just a talking point for simpletons.

Remember when you called a poster stupid when he came with the news that UConn was rejoining the BigEast?

Reaction Score
The BE’s NIT results guarantee that our Huskies, Creighton and Marquette make the Final Four

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're a good poster, you can't really believe half the things you typed there. A bunch of meaningless losses in the NIT is going to hurt recruiting for the conference and the next media deal? If a single recruit brings up the fact that Butler and Xavier lost in the NIT as a reason for not considering UConn Dan Hurley is gonna rightly laugh in their face
Recruiting has always been dirty. There have been people in the know who reported how coaches leveraged things about JC in getting players he's recruiting. Like everyone else I take what people post with a grain of salt. But over time when I observe a pattern of posters that prove themselves reliable on many subjects and a pattern with certain coaches who appear sneaky or corrupt I have to increase the probability that even without direct evidence there could be validity to the matter.

If we are blind or biased or emotionally moved in our thinking it most certainly is likely that a 17 - 22 year old can be emotionally swayed in deciding teams. Cooper Flagg chose his school based on his childhood admiration of a program, not on the evidence of which coach was better. How logical was that? We've had players who chose UConn for the same reason who had offers from coaches with better resumes than JC. JC's first appeal to players was they should come to UConn because you get to play against some of the best teams and coaches in the country. I look at that now and say to myself JC could have been a good car salesman.

Somewhere between 95% and 99% of the posts in this forum are emotionally centered. There are usually multiple underlying factors that can and should be weighed in examining a problem, a subject or a discussion. Most of us present the points that support our need or desire and dismiss or ignore the points that refute that position. And worse we're oblivious that our own irrationality/bias/blindness is front and center in these matters. Humanity is no different than any living species. We are programmed for survival. Where we are different is that we extend that need to abstract things. And that combined with emotions makes us act irrationally.

Those losses in the NIT should be examined logically. If I was a recruit I would weigh things the way I normally do and come to the conclusion that is in line with the thinking in this forum. But for the reasons I've overly elaborated I don't have confidence in human rationality and therefore believe that those losses will be used against the BE and, like it or not, will have some impact. The negative extent is not quantifiable.

The BE is a small fish in a big pond. We don't have a lot of suiters clamoring to add us to their portfolio. That means that the limited number of suitors determine what and how things happen. They want to make as much profit as possible and because FOX has very little competition they will take advantage of any negative in negotiations.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Anybody who reads this forum should realize that only math nerds attempt to objectively look at things.

The NCAA panel was attacked because of their treatment of the BE. They now have cover. The media will pull back their attacks because many casual fans (the vast majority of fans) will laugh at them. The haters and detractors of our conference and UConn will play it up. It provides ammo for recruiting. We’re negotiating with FOX. They will argue those results justify less money.

But most of all Cincinnati won. Can’t wait for @kobe to appear.
enjoy the lesser tournament today fellas. best of luck to the huskies. time to put the altar boys on your back (again).

Nice To Meet You Nicolas Cage GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

ctchamps

Reaction Score
enjoy the lesser tournament today fellas. best of luck to the huskies. time to put the altar boys on your back (again).

Too bad many of the posters are siding against you because they are emotionally siding with the BE against your BE attacks and completely overlooking your position which is you would love UConn to be in the same conference with Cincinnati. And they don't recognize your ability to take the swipes and not take offense. Or if you are offended not to take it so personally that it makes you change your mind and wish ill of UConn.

I have mixed feelings because I love the BE but I can't see how the BE is long term sustainable.

Reaction Score
When you have 3 of the teams from the NBE, that some will say deserve to be in the big dance, playing their 1st games of a tournament at their home courts and all lose - it paints a dim picture on the league. I don't care if some players didn't play - you protect your home court.
The whining can stop now.
Time to get out of this conference which is run by amateurs.
I totally agree with you that we need to get out of this conference but as I’ve asked you before whenever you post this. And go where??? We’re not here because we choose to be in the big east, but we’re sooooo lucky we are. AAC basically dissolved into the equivalent of the Maac / Conference USA and we’d be stuck there indefinitely instead of where we are hopefully temporarily till someone throws us a lifeline that we so obviously deserve.

August_West

Reaction Score
I totally agree with you that we need to get out of this conference but as I’ve asked you before whenever you post this. And go where??? We’re not here because we choose to be in the big east, but we’re sooooo lucky we are. AAC basically dissolved into the equivalent of the Maac / Conference USA and we’d be stuck there indefinitely instead of where we are hopefully temporarily till someone throws us a lifeline that we so obviously deserve.

We aren't going anywhere. This is precisely why I want the BigEast to be the best league it can be.

August_West

Reaction Score
Too bad many of the posters are siding against you because they are emotionally siding with the BE against your BE attacks and completely overlooking your position which is you would love UConn to be in the same conference with Cincinnati. And they don't recognize your ability to take the swipes and not take offense. Or if you are offended not to take it so personally that it makes you change your mind and wish ill of UConn.

I have mixed feelings because I love the BE but I can't see how the BE is long term sustainable.

I dont know about that, but I think your first sentence is telling. They side with the BigEast against Kobe's trolls, but then when it is time to go to bat for the league they are siding with they are indifferent and dismissive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

We are used to it. We used to have to carry teams that consistently flame out in the first round while we were in the American. Who is the only team ever ever to win a natty out of that, again?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I dont know about that, but I think your first sentence is telling. They side with the BigEast against Kobe's trolls, but then when it is time to go to bat for the league they are siding with they are indifferent and dismissive.
We subset sets in ways different from one another.

Kobe is ok in my book because his derision is not meant to be taken seriously and he doesn’t take the shade thrown at him personally. Most of us love throwing shade and hurting others but struggle when it’s the reverse.

August_West

Reaction Score
We are used to it. We used to have to carry teams that consistently flame out in the first round while we were in the American. Who is the only team ever ever to win a natty out of that, again?
Three Stooges Bang GIF

Reaction Score
We aren't going anywhere. This is precisely why I want the BigEast to be the best league it can be.
I hope you’re wrong, ACC is looking pretty shaky what with 3 teams suing to get out, which could lead to a few more schools leaving ( I don’t see Cal and Stanford as being viable long term with payouts dropping when the marquee teams leaving) as long as we can improve football even modestly and keep basketball at a high level we should be the plum jewel when realignment happens again….( we’d be rejoining the old Beast ), hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom