A lot of people seem unhappy with the team so far. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A lot of people seem unhappy with the team so far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The "true fans" care. They want nothing but the best for their team. A player on the court can sense whether the fans are there to root them on to higher goals, or are just at the game because they have nowhere else to go.
Critical remarks by fans should inspire specific players to work on the skills they need to improve.
OMG, No! The players should never, ever listen to us clueless, bumbling fools who post on the BY.

Reaction Score
So I am one who has described my frustrations on this board but I did watch ND game last night. On the bright side, we aren't in that situation and that is something clearly to be thankful for.....

Reaction Score
I had honestly thought Kyla and Mollie would be able give 5 solid minutes each half at this point as Seniors...I feel that would have given some steadiness to the games at key points...3-4 Pts 2-3 rebounds some def. screens, some hustle plays fro each...
Molly/Irwin are nice kids hard workers. BUT--After 3 plus years of never breaking into the 8 rotation what does that tell you about Geno's trust in them (on the court )?? If they were solid enough believe me or Geno they would have had ample opportunities Geno needs back ups at point and post. Accept it, it is what it is.
Having said that: I do believe that in practice they provide that experience and steadying you speak of they do give Geno an extra something in PRACTICE.

Reaction Score
This year might be a let down to those who live and die by UConn games and, yes, it might—let me stress might—end in missing Final Four but it is still a good team with a bright future. I actually like watching Anna and Aubrey’s early struggles, not for their early troubles, but because I see them 10 games down the road, a year from now. I see UConn playing in future years with more than a 6th player but a powerful bench. I see Vandy with 15 players, Norte Dame with seat fillers watching from the bench. Relax, guys. The other team I follow, as an alum, is Colorado, which is picked to finish last in Pac-12 and just slaughtered the Big 10’s bottom team, Wisconsin, CU playing with a couple of first year players who turned out to be sensational. They will cruise through non-conference schedule before starting PAC-12 play where I expect a surprise or two. Their future isn’t UConn future but it ain’t bad.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are on the point. We have a very short bench this year and are integrating two new players into a system I am certain they did not use on the last team they played for. I did see a great improvement in this last games defense which bodes well for the future. Even if a shooter is off on a particular night their D can impact games.
The program history: the D wins and the O decides by how much. The progress of the D will determine how we do. 10 point victories are Ws every bit as much as 30 or 35 points. And I’d be surprised if this team doesn’t improve at both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the seemingly large advantage the team has in the way of scheduling. It's very possible, even likely, that UConn will get to the end of this year w/out losing a game. Nothing looks scary until Jan. 9 when Baylor comes to town. If Cox is still hurting, even the Bears could be beatable. Having the opportunity to improve w/out having to face a dominant team should be viewed as a big upside for a Husky team trying to find its way. Big plus.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
OMG, No! The players should never, ever listen to us clueless, bumbling fools who post on the BY.
Come on! Geno IS a fan!

Reaction Score
I don't agree that people are having negative reaction. What I have read seems heavily balanced and realistic. We all know that it is early and two games do not a season make. But the expressed concerns seem valid. To wit; we have six players who will share 95% of the court time, all other factors being equal. Two of those six are freshman and look it, but they have huge upside potential which will emerge. I think it is valid to be concerned about an injury to any starter, as our depth is weaker than usual. None of the three bench players can be expected to do anything other than provide " breathers" for any starter. We know what Molly and Kyla can contribute, and that hasn't changed much in 4 seasons. The transfer from Murray State is largely unknown, but there is little reason to expect she will emerge as a great player for UCONN. I also think it is unrealistic to simply say, " Geno and his staff are brilliant ( true), and we will win it all come March." I agree that the team will be far, far better than it is today. But we have to expect superhuman efforts from the core four, and assume that Geno will find a way to get them some rest while being superhuman. Forty minutes per game for each of the core four, over the entire season, is going to take a toll. So you are seeing more worry and concern than usual. But I don't think we have a negative view at all. We are eager to see what this team can do and how it will develop. And we all love them. Always.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the seemingly large advantage the team has in the way of scheduling. It's very possible, even likely, that UConn will get to the end of this year w/out losing a game. Nothing looks scary until Jan. 9 when Baylor comes to town. If Cox is still hurting, even the Bears could be beatable. Having the opportunity to improve w/out having to face a dominant team should be viewed as a big upside for a Husky team trying to find its way. Big plus.
The more game against better (not top top) Talent the better for this team. Games hone skills. Uconn has 8 or so talented people possibly 9. Talent doesn't always produce. But, if given the opportunity to play against various skill levels and different defenses that could be a huge PLUS for this team. It takes time to even make JELLO. This team need time to Gel chemistry--ize.. We cannot bemoan the loss of Phee and KLS they are GONE.
When you build anything from scratch you can only use the carpenters you have--.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why don’t we just keep the sugar plum future recruits dancing in our heads and for the rest of this season just respectfully appreciate the exceptional young women we have and love the ones we’re with.........
Thank you Coach Dale...

Reaction Score
This is not a question of happy or sad. This is a question of accepting reality. It is what it is. You still can enjoy it, but your expectations have to be put into perspective with the capabilities of the team. Will they improve. Sure. Will it be greatness, I am not sure, but I certainly would be pleasantly surprise. So what don't we all sit back and enjoy the rest of the season. I know that I am going to try to watch every game.
Hey old Marine - 1447206

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's informative comparing the reaction to early season struggles on both the UConn and ND boards.
UConn has won all its game...ok in less than overpowering or artistic fashion; ND has lost two in a row against somewhat better competition.

Obviously negativity is present in Storrs as in South Bend...but I find a touch more optimism with regard this season's prospects on ND's board than on the BY. Not quantified, just an observation.

One area of discussion that differs is the element of recruiting...there is much more concern on the Irish board (as well they might having lost their most important recruiter, perhaps, even the heart and soul of the coaching staff) I still feel the loss of Marissa in the development of our bigs.

A little anecdote in this regard: After I had done my thing in the NY music biz, I volunteered to teach in the South Bronx and had an important education in management...The 2nd school to which I was assigned had a decent reputation and was even succeeding in graduating prepared students.

The principal was the front person and appeared assured and effective...The 2nd in command was not one of the two AP's but actually the union boss (seemingly a conflict) who spent much of his day in her office running things.

He retired that Spring and everything went into a nosedive...the principal was forced out in 2 years and her replacement was worse and the school was closed and reorganized.

This had been one of The best schools in the Bronx...was now unrecognizable.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's informative comparing the reaction to early season struggles on both the UConn and ND boards.
UConn has won all its game...ok in less than overpowering or artistic fashion; ND has lost two in a row against somewhat better competition.

Obviously negativity is present in Storrs as in South Bend...but I find a touch more optimism with regard this season's prospects on ND's board than on the BY. Not quantified, just an observation.

One area of discussion that differs is the element of recruiting...there is much more concern on the Irish board (as well they might having lost their most important recruiter, perhaps, even the heart and soul of the coaching staff) I still feel the loss of Marissa in the development of our bigs.

A little anecdote in this regard: After I had done my thing in the NY music biz, I volunteered to teach in the South Bronx and had an important education in management...The 2nd school to which I was assigned had a decent reputation and was even succeeding in graduating prepared students.

The principal was the front person and appeared assured and effective...The 2nd in command was not one of the two AP's but actually the union boss (seemingly a conflict) who spent much of his day in her office running things.

He retired that Spring and everything went into a nosedive...the principal was forced out in 2 years and her replacement was worse and the school was closed and reorganized.

This had been one of The best schools in the Bronx...was now unrecognizable.
It's all about the ratio between expectations and perceived realization.

Notre Dame fans pretty much expected huge struggles after graduating their entire starting five, plus two transfers, plus early-season injuries to their two most experienced returners. They've more or less accepted this as a throwaway year but have reason to be optimistic about their talented youth and a strong recruiting class coming in. Lower expectations = lower EPR ratio.

Many UConn fans expected *some* amount of struggling without Lou and Pheesa and several newcomers. But most seem to have felt that UConn was a strong contender, perhaps even a favorite, to return to the Final Four (UConn was #3 on the preseason Boneyard Top 25). Suffice it to say that UConn hasn't yet looked like a Final Four favorite in what limited action we've seen. Add to that the angst of Westbrook's waiver denial, which many had been optimistic about, and you've got a higher EPR ratio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom