A look at Ft. Hays, exhibition game opponent | The Boneyard

A look at Ft. Hays, exhibition game opponent

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This isn't a true game preview - just a look at the preseason exhibition opponent.

UConn Huskies (0-0, 0-0) vs Ft. Hays State (0-0, 0-0)
Tuesday, Nov. 1, 7:00 p.m.
XL Center, Hartford CT

Probable starting lineups

UConn: Unknown
Returning starters, Last year’s stats:
Kia Nurse, 6-0 G, Sr, 12.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 3.9 apg (A:TO 2.6:1)
Katie Lou Samuelson, 6-3 G/F, Jr, 20.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.2 apg (A:TO 1.7:1)
Gabby Williams, 5-11 F, Sr, 14.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 5.1 apg (A:TO 2.2:1), 2.7 spg
Napheesa Collier, 6-1 F, Jr, 20.4 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 2.2 apg (A;TO 1.7:1)

Ft. Hays State: Unknown
Returning starters, Last year’s stats:
#13 Carly Heim, 5-7 G, Jr., 7.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.6 apg (A:TO 1.1:1)
#12 Madison Mittie, 5-10 G, 6.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.0 apg (A:TO 1.7:1)
#23 Kacey Kennett, 6-0 G, S So. , 8.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, .9 apg (A:TO 1.1:1)
#24 Tatyana Legette, 5-10 F, Jr, 9.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.0 apg (A:TO .9:1), 1.1 spg

What to expect:
So, the preseason #1 in Division I returns its top 4 scorers, adds a 6-6 transfer from Duke that could be a National POY contender and the No. 1 ranked high school player, is playing a Division II school that has lost two of its top three scorers, is very young and undersized, and is on the road. Hmmm, what to expect?

Last year, Ft. Hays State had a 22-8 record, which should be a fine final tally for most teams but was only good enough for a 6th place finish in the MIAA conference. The last time Ft. Hays State had a losing season was in 2010-11, when it finished 12-14 but since then has had 20+ wins every year and 20+ wins is considered excellent for all teams not named UConn.

We all know UConn’s records. Over the last 10 years, the Huskies have gone 370-15 with four undefeated seasons. The total margin of loss in those 15 losses is 88 points, or less than 6 points per game. Only two losses were by double digits (Stanford in 2010-2011 [71-59], ND in 2011-12 [72-59]) but 6 were by 1 or 2 points. For the record, the teams UConn has lost to were Notre Dame (7 losses by a total 49 points), Stanford (3 losses by a total 23 points), Baylor (2 and 11), Mississippi State (1 and 2), Rutgers (1 and 2), and St. John’s (1 and 1).

About Ft. Hayes
The Ft. Hayes Tigers have had their share of success. In 2014-15, the Tigers went 30-4 and made it to the Division II regional finals. The next year, Ft. Hays went 25-6, bowing out in the 1st round of the Div II NCAA tournament. Last year, Ft. Hays didn’t make the Big Dance despite finishing 22-8.

The “returning starters” names above come with an asterisk. No player started every game and the players listed above have a combined for only 41 starts in 30 games. There is one senior and three juniors on the 14 player roster so this is a very young team. There are three players over 6-0; one is a freshman (6-3 Kayla Bush), one is a sophomore (6-2 Robin Risema), and one is the lone senior (6-2 Emma Stroyan).

This is a very guard oriented team. Of the 14 players, 8 are guards. Of the 6 forwards, 2 are freshmen, two were little-used players from last year, averaging 5.5 minutes a game. Senior Stroyan started 24 games last year and will most likely start again. Junior Tatyana Legette, a 5-10 forward, was the second leading scorer (9.6 ppg) last season but will most likely match up against Gabby Williams, a tough task for any player.

Players to watch – Ft. Hayes
Legette and junior guard Carly Heim are the best returning scorers last year with Legette leading her team in points in 7 games and Heim in 5 games. Scoring does seem to be a group effort, though, with several different players leading the team last season. Rebounding is a different matter. Legette had as many as 13 rebounds in one game and she led her team in that category 18 times last year.

Kacey Kennet, a 6-0 sophomore guard, had a terrific freshman season and was the fourth high scorer (8.7 ppg). She may be more of a shooting guard/ wing type player, as she has fewer assists (24) than her peers. This jives with the fact that she has the third most field goal attempts last season, making 37% of her shots overall but only 27.5% from three. Madison Mittie, a 5-10 sophomore guard, seems to be the most consistent three point threat, having shot 38% from the perimeter last year.

The Huskies
What is there to say, really? There’s chatter about Azure Stevens, Napheesa Collier and Kia Nurse but it seems to me folks are overlooking the immensely talented, and doubtlessly outraged Gabby Williams. A Williams that’s angry about UConn’s loss to Mississippi State has to be opponents’ worst nightmare. I’m pretty much expecting Gabby to mow down much of the field leaving all kinds of opportunities for her teammates to score.

I’m not going into too much discussion about the new look Huskies. “New” because – hey, there’s a real frontcourt this year! That’s going to take tremendous pressure off the guards. In all honesty, and I’m on record here, I expect this to be another year that the UConn freight train makes an appearance. My biggest questions are how quickly the freight train is going to leave the station, given the new cars that have been added…ok, enough with the train analogy, that's annoying even to me. Sorry.

How quickly can Stevens, Bouley Camara, and the freshmen be incorporated into the team? Will the chemistry need a few weeks to gel? Stanford is a tough game right out of the gate and there might be ghosts haunting Kia Nurse and Williams if they recall another early season game against the Tree in 2014. Scary thoughts on this Halloween.

Ft. Hays is no Stanford, though, no offense to them, because few teams are as big a challenge to the Huskies. But Ft. Hays is, if my research is right, a well-coached team that can give the Huskies a different game plan to figure out, some good players that will need some work to defend, and a chance to knock off some rust. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
The one thing that makes me feel a little bit easier about the Stanford game is that it's on a neutral court and not in Palo Alto.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From among all our players, Gabby is the one who can most effectively tear your heart out physically. Most of our other players just beat you up in a more traditional skill sense.

I just think back to some of the USF plays. :D:D

Reaction Score
Good to see you back Java.
upload_2017-11-1_6-21-1.png

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm going. Pretty crazy to drive so far for this, but I am so incredibly psyched about the season!
I'm looking forward to your on-site observations and analysis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom