A Look Ahead: Paige/Azzi | The Boneyard

A Look Ahead: Paige/Azzi

Reaction Score
"It's not too early," says the narrator, but isn't it? Not for me. This is a pairing that I dream about, and I'm glad that I may be alive to watch these two. Liv's under the basket with Aaliyah, (MN)Nice and Azzi out front, then? If Caroline DaCharm can play D, she'd get some time, but I expect Christyn to start. Nika off the bench along with Aubrey. Helluva team. CAN NOT WAIT.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is this morphing into the first "2021-2022 Starting 5" thread?

Reaction Score
Azzi will have to wait her turn behind Nika. Nika has won the starting PG job. Plus, Geno doesnt start Freshman, unless its Paige - almost out of necessity as UConn was so young this year.
More like she will have to wait until CW graduates. Nika is gonna be here for three more years. If Evina leaves after this season, that spot probably goes to Aaliyah which will mean Azzi is the sixth woman next season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
or Muhl!
Or (let's see) Katie Lou Samuelson (and Napheesa Collier earlier in the same year), Kia Nurse, Renee Montgomery, Anna Makurat (last year), Caroline Doty, Christyn Williams, Stef Dolson, and numerous others if we go back further (or I forgot some recent person).

In other words, "Geno doesn't start freshmen" is as big a myth as "Geno always uses a short bench".

Reaction Score
Pwople would be smart to wait until Fudd has a few games under he belt to start making predictions about her immediate effectiveness. She is coming off an injury and not every players skill level in college makes a smooth immediate transition to the next level.

Reaction Score
Just curious, have you seen Fudd play or are you basing your certainty on “people?” And there is that generational nonsense (IMO) again. I have been on this board about a year or so and have seen three players, a sophomore (Boston), a freshman (Bueckers), and a high schooler (Fudd) called “generational”. Last time I looked none of them had even played an NCAA game yet. What does that make Stewart?

Reaction Score
Or (let's see) Katie Lou Samuelson (and Napheesa Collier earlier in the same year), Kia Nurse, Renee Montgomery, Anna Makurat (last year), Caroline Doty, Christyn Williams, Stef Dolson, and numerous others if we go back further (or I forgot some recent person).

In other words, "Geno doesn't start freshmen" is as big a myth as "Geno always uses a short bench".
And Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
Those people must think a generation is 6 months to a year. Or they've never heard of Bueckers and Clark. Or the other 10-15 kids out there in WCBB that "people are calling generational".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And Maya Moore.
Maya is a bit different because she became a freshman starter only after Kalana Greene suffered a season-ending knee injury. The players that I mentioned won their starting jobs either at the beginning of the season or by beating out a healthy older player for the job. Katie Lou, for example, replaced sophomore Gabby Williams in the starting lineup sometime in January, as I recall.

Reaction Score
Other then Paige being the best point guard on the team, and not having to carry the scoring load if Azzi comes in as good as advertised. I’ve also read somewhere that Azzi has the tools to be a top notch defender.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing Geno take Nika out of the starting role. He really has rallied for her (even when we all doubted) and I think he really loves the way she plays. However I think Geno will start his best 5 who earns it in practice..who that is i don’t know, but I don’t think it’s set in stone. If Azzi is as good as we all think she will be, she will find plenty of minutes, starter or not.

Reaction Score
A little YouTube exploring the obvious. Obvious but oh so exciting.

That out of bounds play, inbounding and then shooting a 3 is just flat out ridiculous. I can't wait for her and Paige to be on the same team next year.

Reaction Score
Plus, Geno doesnt start Freshman, unless its Paige - almost out of necessity as UConn was so young this year.

or Muhl!
Or Anna

Or Chrystin

Or KLS

Or Kia

??? Geno starts freshmen all the time - certainly more often than he doesn’t. If Azzi doesn’t start next year (extremely unlikely IMO) it won’t be because she‘s a freshman.

Reaction Score
Here's post-injury Azzi going against nationally ranked Bishop McNamara featuring McDonald's All-American Madison Scott (now at Ole Miss):

Highlight clip didn’t show a lot of defense, but did show Azzi making 3 steals. Pretty high-level ball handling. And REALLY high-level long-distance pinpoint entry passes. And her shooting wasn’t too bad - LOTS of 3’s, not much iron, mostly just “swish!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom