A little love for Natalie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A little love for Natalie

Reaction Score
It's all mental with Butler and Chong. Saniya's been great from the get go this year and something seems to have clicked for Nat since mid-season. When Butler plays with confidence and passion, like she did last night, she adds a whole other dimension to the team.

Reaction Score
It's all mental with Butler and Chong. Saniya's been great from the get go this year and something seems to have clicked for Nat since mid-season. When Butler plays with confidence and passion, like she did last night, she adds a whole other dimension to the team.

Do u think she's 8 man next year behind AS And MW?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yeah and again you can clearly see how hard NB has worked. She's gotten into great shape and she's such a hard worker. No doubt she's nuts at practice.

My point is I see an upside with KI that I like, that NB will never possess.
You should never say what a player will not posses. K. Lang at Texas was just a tall player for three years. Now she has been very instrumental in the Texas this season. She has improved a lot. Next season Butler may come back a much improved player. She has shown flashes this season.

Reaction Score
You should never say what a player will not posses. K. Lang at Texas was just a tall player for three years. Now she has been very instrumental in the Texas this season. She has improved a lot. Next season Butler may come back a much improved player. She has shown flashes this season.

She will never have a game like KI. That's all I was saying. NB will never shoot threes.
I'm not saying anything bad about NB. I like her. She seems like a wonderful hard working girl.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
She is looking more and more comfortable out there and is coming up with a lot of rebounds in traffic.

Natalie is confident shooting the 10-15 footer, mostly from around the foul line. Commentators in all sports talk about the game "slowing down" for players, and I think that statement applies to her. She is not rushing that shot and looks very smooth with it. No hesitation to take it any more.

She plays hard and we are fortunate to have her. We will need her size off the bench before all this is over.

Reaction Score
Butler averages the most rebounds per minute and second most blocks per minute on the team. That's bringing something to the table.

Yeah, but remember that the majority of Butler's minutes come late in the game against the opponent's reserves. Also, UCONN's second group, the four bench players plus either Dangerfield or Chong, often lose these fourth-quarter matchups. They're just not very good.

Reaction Score
I believe that both Butler and Irwin, along with all the rest of the players, are good kids. I appreciate the work that Butler has put in to get in better shape. However, I don't think that either are really UCONN-level players.

Butler will get some minutes in these next few games, but they will only occur if the game is in hand or foul trouble presents itself. Irwin will only play in blowouts.

Down the road, I don't see meaningful minutes ever for Irwin. Not so much for Butler either. Better players are coming in, and that's the way it goes.

Molly Bent, at a guard position where there will be less depth, might have a little more opportunity. She's far more athletic, and if she makes the normal jump in skills from freshman to sophomore, she could help.

Reaction Score
Got herself a double double (10 pts, 10 rebs). Just nice to see.

There were moment in the last game Fla game--that Natalie looked like a top level UC Center
There with the 3 other rascals --she looked lost and ineffective. She belongs with at least 3 of the core FIVE then she operates as a top level post. She scored, Rebounded, and made great outlet passes. Her defense , mostly was good, the little guys who dribble drove at her --scored too easily--those were block she should have made
But as an all around performance, she played her very best UC game---perfect timing for the NCAA..

Reaction Score
Perhaps there would be a lot less angst about Natalie if we all talked about what she does well and less about what she doesn't do so well...

Reaction Score
Yeah, but remember that the majority of Butler's minutes come late in the game against the opponent's reserves. Also, UCONN's second group, the four bench players plus either Dangerfield or Chong, often lose these fourth-quarter matchups. They're just not very good.

Just talking about Butler here. While the bolded above may be technically true, she has played double digit minutes in most of the big games this year (average 16+ on the season). If you watch the Baylor game again I think you'd have a hard time saying they would have won the game without her. We can all see she has limitations, but in my opinion she has made meaningful contributions. I guess with her it's a question of do you see the glass half full or half empty.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I agree with you. But sometimes, it's a pass too far or too low for her.

After a regular season watching Pheesa and Gabby grabbing/catching almost every pass near them, I think we're spoiled.

Agreed on all points.

There were a couple of passes that did not connect with Natalie last night, but one was an inadvisable pass from an awkward angle around the foul line to the right block, and another where she was rolling to the hoop and Crystal didn`t get it high enough or deep enough. Maybe Pheesa and Gabby could have saved those, but they are the most athletic forwards in WCBB. If Nat establishes position and the pass is at her shoulders or above, she is at her best.

Reaction Score
I get tired of reading about Natalie Butler's "bad hands" and "slow feet" and her other limitations!
As stated above most of her misses have been passes to her knees or ankles, where it's almost impossible for any big girl to catch! It's like when a big girl gets a rebound she must keep the ball high so the little guys can't tie her up!
NB came to CT overweight, slow a-foot, and weak, but loads of potential! Through extremely hard work she has lost 30+ lbs, strengthened herself big-time, and now can run the floor with 95% of her peers!
She will be a major factor in the 6 upcoming NCAA Tournament games!
Next year she will earn her minutes with the outstanding big girls on the roster!
Is Natalie Butler a Lobo, Charles, Stokes, Wolters, etal clone? Not close, but I'll take her vs the ND's, Baylor's, SoCar's, MD's, and any other teams we'll face along the way to a 5th straight championship!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom