A Letter from Kia to Aaliyah | The Boneyard

A Letter from Kia to Aaliyah

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Such a good message to all recruits.

“...but those banners still hang there, and those banners mean something. It’s more than your goals and your reputation and your opportunities. It’s UConn. And we’re not like anyone else.”

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That video left me with some tears in my eyes, in a good way. :)

I am still a bit sad that Kia never made All-American while at UConn especially given her defense and glue to keep that team ticking. She is one of the 2 or 3 best players to not make that team, if not the best player not on the wall. I wonder if we could add an "All-Canandian" or "All World" wall as a supplement...:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am still a bit sad that Kia never made All-American while at UConn especially given her defense and glue to keep that team ticking. She is one of the 2 or 3 best players to not make that team, if not the best player not on the wall. I wonder if we could add an "All-Canandian" or "All World" wall as a supplement...:rolleyes:
I think we did a thread one time of best UCONN players not to make the Wall of Honor. Kia was on just about everyone 1st team.

Reaction Score
That video left me with some tears in my eyes, in a good way. :)

DefenseBB- - -At 73 I find myself a lot more emotional then in past years!
As you stated about tearing up, with me having coached HS Wrestling for 32 years (3 in MO) 29 at East Lyme HS,
Even though it's nowhere near coaching WBB in college, but having been inducted into the Nat'l Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2005. I can know that when it goes good, really, really good how that feels!
I and my Assts. coached 651 boys over 29 years at ELHS and we had only 5 trouble makers you didn't want out for the team. We had wonderful human beings for Wrestlers and they ALL came from tremendous loving homes! Their parents supported the program 150%!
And I find myself now watching the UCONN Huskies girl's BB program and as a past coach can feel the PRIDE that deep down the coaching staff must feel when their players light up the court! And I start crying because I know how that feels! I miss that feeling!
This group of girl's are inspiring to root for! Yes they make mistakes that drive Geno crazy but this is a special group joining the other special groups UCONN has had over the years!
It angers me when SOME poster's attack "our Girl's" for what ever reason!
We fans are truly blessed to have this quality program in our State1
The late actor, dancer Fred Astaire was asked "How he makes everything look so easy", He answered "I work damn hard to make it look easy!"
The sermon is over!

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
DefenseBB- - -At 73 I find myself a lot more emotional then in past years!
As you stated about tearing up, with me having coached HS Wrestling for 32 years (3 in MO) 29 at East Lyme HS,
Even though it's nowhere near coaching WBB in college, but having been inducted into the Nat'l Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2005. I can know that when it goes good, really, really good how that feels!
I and my Assts. coached 651 boys over 29 years at ELHS and we had only 5 trouble makers you didn't want out for the team. We had wonderful human beings for Wrestlers and they ALL came from tremendous loving homes! Their parents supported the program 150%!
And I find myself now watching the UCONN Huskies girl's BB program and as a past coach can feel the PRIDE that deep down the coaching staff must feel when their players light up the court! And I start crying because I know how that feels! I miss that feeling!
This group of girl's are inspiring to root for! Yes they make mistakes that drive Geno crazy but this is a special group joining the other special groups UCONN has had over the years!
It angers me when SOME poster's attack "our Girl's" for what ever reason!
We fans are truly blessed to have this quality program in our State1
The sermon is over!
Thanks for sharing part of your story, I was going down the posts with watery eyes and came to yours. I know this is a place to talk about and share about UCONN and we have been doing that, being a new member I have felt a kinship to many of the members just from their posts. I wonder what makes Ya'll tick and your stories. I appreciate you sharing some of your c.v. as it gives a basis for your posts and thoughts.
Turn around is fair play so here are some of my back ground facts. I started coaching girls softball in 1968 and coached girls, teens and women for 45 years I did all my coaching while holding a full time job. Along the way I wad recruited to coach girls track and field at a local private school. This branched out to include cross country as well. Early in the 90's I was asked to coach the women's track team at the H.S. I graduated from. I am proud of the school Glenbard East in Lombard, Il.
I found the Huskies in the early 90's while visiting my sister in Hamden Ct. I was watching a UCONN game with family when I discovered Geno, we had some similarities in coaching philosophies, I knew I could learn from him and fell in love with his coaching style and the team . I have been hooked ever since. I look forward to every story be it practice, recruiting, game or interview, I love it all. I enjoy the BY and go to it a few times a day and read almost every post. So to all those that I am getting to know keep the posts, stories, pics, and videos coming. When the urge hits a little about all of you is welcome, Have a great holiday season and a very Merry Christmas.
I have not written this much in years, my index finger is tired and I have bored you enough. Stay safe

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

“...but those banners still hang there, and those banners mean something. It’s more than your goals and your reputation and your opportunities. It’s UConn. And we’re not like anyone else.”

Darn it, I got something in my eyes. Things got kind of blurry toward the end.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What stood out to me was the fact that Kia, who graduated in 2018 and has played for the Canadian National team, the New York Liberty, and some overseas teams since then, still refers to UConn as "we" in a way that clearly shows that it is her basketball identity. And she isn't even on the wall!

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score

I love this. CHILLS

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kia's vid says it all. Pride, work, expectations, winning, team.

I understand that feeling of pride of working hard towards a goal. I spent half my years in education as a high school band director. Hell week in the August heat putting the show together. The learning of were to be at each beat of the music. The coordination of bodies moving on the field, in and out. Night rehearsals on the field in prep for band competitions. Pushing and working with the kids to reach their potential as individuals and as a group. I also had my middle school bands work to make audition tapes to perform at the state music educators convention. That feeling of accomplishment never goes away. Its always there.

Thank you Kia for reminding us of it all.

Reaction Score
I remember a game where Kia played for the Canadian National team vs US team which included Stewart and Jefferson. She torched them. Correct me if I am wrong since I might have the facts mixed up!! Grateful being able to watch all Kia games at UConn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If she had been my commander I would have followed this young lady into Hell. She has the wisdom, fortitude and can inspire people with speeches like that. What she said in this video runs circles around anything that Coach from Maryland has said in all of her speeches. Kia will end up as a coach after she retires, if she wants too.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I remember a game where Kia played for the Canadian National team vs US team which included Stewart and Jefferson. She torched them. Correct me if I am wrong since I might have the facts mixed up!! Grateful being able to watch all Kia games at UConn.
She scored something like 30 points against the U.S. and led Canada to the Pan American Games Basketball Championship trophy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she had been my commander I would have followed this young lady into Hell. She has the wisdom, fortitude and can inspire people with speeches like that. What she said in this video runs circles around anything that Coach from Maryland has said in all of her speeches. Kia will end up as a coach after she retires, if she wants too.
Kia has often been asked if she wants to coach. She says no. Not enough patience.Likes her media gigs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom