A lagniappe from watching UConn WBB | The Boneyard

A lagniappe from watching UConn WBB

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As we all know, Gabby has been suffering from a "hip flexor" injury. After about the fifth time I said "I don't know what the hip flexor is, I should look it up," my wife looked it up.

She found it, handed me her phone with a picture of it, and asked, "Gee, does that look familiar?" The pic highlighted three muscles, basically a line from the loin down the inside of the top of the leg. I'm a distance runner, and the last couple of years I've been bothered on long runs by something that starts in the loin and goes down the inside of my thigh. Most of the time it's a minor irritation, but last fall when I was adding mileage, it was debilitating. I've asked a couple of orthopedists about it, and they said it's a groin problem and to stretch my groin, which actually irritated it somewhat. (Same thing happened to my older brother a few years ago.) Hip flexor issues are common enough among runners that it's sometimes called runner's hip. I found some stretches specifically for this problem, and after five days it's probably 75% better.

Lagniappe is a word that originated in New Orleans Creole meaning a small gift, usually a little thing given by a shop owner to good customers. These days, and away from Louisiana, it's more generally used to mean an unexpected benefit.

So the apparent identification of my hip flexor issue has been a lagniappe of watching UConn basketball and Gabby's hip issues.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As we all know, Gabby has been suffering from a "hip flexor" injury. After about the fifth time I said "I don't know what the hip flexor is, I should look it up," my wife looked it up.

She found it, handed me her phone with a picture of it, and asked, "Gee, does that look familiar?" The pic highlighted three muscles, basically a line from the loin down the inside of the top of the leg. I'm a distance runner, and the last couple of years I've been bothered on long runs by something that starts in the loin and goes down the inside of my thigh. Most of the time it's a minor irritation, but last fall when I was adding mileage, it was debilitating. I've asked a couple of orthopedists about it, and they said it's a groin problem and to stretch my groin, which actually irritated it somewhat. (Same thing happened to my older brother a few years ago.) Hip flexor issues are common enough among runners that it's sometimes called runner's hip. I found some stretches specifically for this problem, and after five days it's probably 75% better.

Lagniappe is a word that originated in New Orleans Creole meaning a small gift, usually a little thing given by a shop owner to good customers. These days, and away from Louisiana, it's more generally used to mean an unexpected benefit.

So the apparent identification of my hip flexor issue has been a lagniappe of watching UConn basketball and Gabby's hip issues.
And dare I say that your post is a lagniappe for the rest of us.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Interesting post, personalizing the the injury. And boy oh boy, a baker's dozen of delicious beignets is the first time I encountered the lagniappe!

Reaction Score
Originates from de llapa from Quechua thru Spanish. Still in common use in Andean countries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom