A Gratuitous Waste of Time Evaluating Non Con Schedules | The Boneyard

A Gratuitous Waste of Time Evaluating Non Con Schedules

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I expect the Big East to be a blood bath this year. There is potentially 7 NCAA tourney teams in our 11 team conference.

Marquette, Creighton, and UConn look like Locks.
I would be extremely surprised if Villanova and St. Johns don't make it.
Providence has a coaching "?" and Xavier has a roster turnover "?" but neither would surprise to end up in the field.

As a result, the early nonconference is critically important in establishing that this is in fact a murders row so we don't destroy each others seedlines as we knock each other off at home.

So how do we look going in against other notable teams? I'm using KenPom, I know its limitations in the preseason. But at least there's a method to his approach and its the best I have to work with.

I've assumed a 20 rank advantage in a matchup to be an expected win, a 2 rank disadvantage to be an expected loss, and everything in between to be a toss up.

I'm sure I've overlooked a mid major who deserves to be on this list. I'm sure we'll see an ugly loss from the bottom of the conference. But looking purely at the big matchups here's how it shakes out:

ScheduleAnalysis.png

A lot is riding on UConn, Marquette and Villanova. We've all scheduled tough and will carry a lot of the water. Creighton's schedule is really smart. Strong enough wins on paper but safe. The bottom of the conference has taken on more than it can handle. Yes that's to be expected from their position but they've really put themselves in a spot. And of course this doesn't include games not on the scheudle for MTE's.

We're going to need to 12-8 in the toss ups just to break even.

Fun time of year to root for our conference brethren.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Good stuff…but I root for one team. :)

FB168A90-CD17-4732-8DAD-336E15E50A3C.gif

Reaction Score
And here lies the true beauty of the spirit of competition in college basketball...

Ultimately, it is up to us and our conference brethren to put up or shut up ON THE COURT.

Computer rankings, "expert" analysis, preseason hype... none of that stuff means a damn thing.

It is almost time to roll the balls out and get this party started for real. And yeah, here is hoping that we and our conference mates go out and prove that we are, in fact, the #1 basketball conference in America this year, starting 10 days from today. The time for all the BS talk and computer rankings is almost over, thank God.

Let's Go!!!

Reaction Score
We really need Marquette to do no worse than 2-2 against those other top 20 teams, and for Creighton to take care of business.

Creighton was injured early last year and had a terrible start (including a 6 game losing streak) which ultimately hurt the conference when they finished strong, but wins against them weren't super valuable.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We really need Marquette to do no worse than 2-2 against those other top 20 teams, and for Creighton to take care of business.

Creighton was injured early last year and had a terrible start (including a 6 game losing streak) which ultimately hurt the conference when they finished strong, but wins against them weren't super valuable.
Yep, they set us back a bit last year in perception. They were much better than they played in the Kalk Mono season.

Marquette got edged by a Purdue team that was not yet on the radar as one of the best in CBB. Then they dropped games to Miss St and Wisconsin, that hurt too.

Reaction Score
Yeah at the end of the day, it’s be nice for the BE to perform in the non-conference but we can only do so much. Just win and get anything 5 seed or better for the NCAA Tournament and let’s go from there. Our last few titles have been won without needing a 1 seed. Let Dook, UK and the others get their 1 seeds and flame out. I’ll take the ACTUAL results over the expected results every day.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
X is beating an overrated and slow Purdue

Georgetown will be improved

I never count a Depaul to win anything

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads