A GoHeels.Com Analyst Reacts To The Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A GoHeels.Com Analyst Reacts To The Game

Reaction Score
It was essentially like our view of Kansas, a solid loss against a quality team. No moral victories but nothing to hang your head about, and insight was gained about changing the outcome in a rematch.
I'd disagree that UNC's loss was like our KU loss. You can look at our KU game and point to multiple things where we did not play near our best and/or player status impacted the result of the game:
  • Castle's injury
  • Spencer's first half ankle/foot injury
  • Donovan reaggravating his foot
  • Newton/Spencer going 6-11 from the FT line
From UNC's perspective, you can't point to unusual underperformance or injury that played a key role in the ultimate result.

Reaction Score
I agree context is everything.
Jalen Adams is arguable the player the program let down the most who had the highest ceiling.
Look at his career stats here.
View attachment 93830

The year Hurley got here, he had career bests in FG%, 2PT% & 3PT%, while reducing turnovers.
Now look at his statistics (and career highs) on a Per/40 basis...
View attachment 93832

Imagine Jalen Adams with 4 years under Hurley...
I will be a Jalen Adams defender to the death. He should be in the NBA.
I am with you. I am sensitive to the criticism Jalen Adams gets here. He was on a such terrible teams in 2017 and 2018 that would've been much worse without him.

Reaction Score
Dont compare Roy and Hubert. Roy had 400+ wins and a couple final fours at Kansas before even stepped foot on the UNC campus. Hiring a first time head coach at a big time program has a 99% chance of failure.
Ok Roy. Art thou not human?

Roy, you were 14-19 and 18-11 out the door.

You had a fine career, and I think you did a fine job picking out your Successor. Kudos old man; sit back and enjoy the oatmeal and Metamucil...

Reaction Score
I'd disagree that UNC's loss was like our KU loss. You can look at our KU game and point to multiple things where we did not play near our best and/or player status impacted the result of the game:
  • Castle's injury
  • Spencer's first half ankle/foot injury
  • Donovan reaggravating his foot
  • Newton/Spencer going 6-11 from the FT line
From UNC's perspective, you can't point to unusual underperformance or injury that played a key role in the ultimate result.
UNC fans main argument to make themselves feel better is that their best shooter went 0/6 from 3 on almost all open looks. Which is true. But that was offset by good shooting elsewhere and our 2 best shooters also shot (but not quite that) poorly.

Reaction Score
I am a Jalen Adams fans. I think he’s criminally underrated by this fan base because of when he was here.

One of the most aesthetically pleasing players IMO. His body control was some of the best I’ve seen.

Reaction Score
UNC fans main argument to make themselves feel better is that their best shooter went 0/6 from 3 on almost all open looks. Which is true. But that was offset by good shooting elsewhere and our 2 best shooters also shot (but not quite that) poorly.
They think Ryan is their best shooter? Dude's shooting 25% from 3 this season. Davis or Ingram are their best shooters by percentage and total looks. They're delusional if they think he's their best outside shooter.

Cam Spencer had literally not missed a free throw going into KU and missed two. It happens, but that qualifies as unusual underperformance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UNC plays no defense and they dont to rebound
That's a more extreme way of putting it than I did while texting my sister.

My concern then was that 3 players had 3 fouls, and that is one-on-one challenges close the the basket weren't helping. UNC was getting its points one way or another in such settings because that was the strength of their talented offensive players.

UConn had more shots and possessions due to better rebounding and protecting the ball. UNC was on track to score below their average, so UConn defense wasn't doing badly. It wasn't necessary to try and stop all shots.

So long as UConn could score, trading baskets would heavily favor UConn. Losing players to fouls, missing free throws, and rushed shots presented the greatest risks. Clock management would make it impossible for UNC to catch up. A deeper bench, and more ways to play would tire and frustrate UNC. It eventually played out that way.

Your simple sentence accurately identifies where UNC is not at its best

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He drove me nuts, never seen another player who was so averse to contact.
If he had an ounce of Tristen Newton in him, he would have shot 7-8 more FTs a game than he did. I always contrasted him with Rob Gray at Houston who was fearless and got so many 1 and 1s.

Reaction Score
Ok Roy. Art thou not human?

Roy, you were 14-19 and 18-11 out the door.

You had a fine career, and I think you did a fine job picking out your Successor. Kudos old man; sit back and enjoy the oatmeal and Metamucil...
You’re the one comparing Roy and Hubert’s first three years at UNC as if it means anything. Roy was a borderline HOFer when he came to UNC...and Hubert likely wont be UNC's coach in three years.

Reaction Score
You’re the one comparing Roy and Hubert’s first three years at UNC as if it means anything. Roy was a borderline HOFer when he came to UNC...and Hubert likely wont be UNC's coach in three years.
Roy, it's ok.

I'm with you. I still think you're miles behind JC, but that's solely my personal opinion.

Your last years were terrible, and Hubert cleaned up your senile mess. This is not a reflection of your body of work. Again, I truly believe you did a fine job picking your Successor. In fact, much better than Coach K, as he fumbled his way out the elite 8 with 3 NBA players in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewart is physically a beast and would be another AK type but i guess things arent progressing for him as quickly as we would all like. The talent is there as i said i was impressed an think he will be a first rounder some day but its just not now. Its a shame because him really stepping up would take this team to an unfair level.

Quite a few practices and games left. There is time to step up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom