A Geno coaching thought | The Boneyard

A Geno coaching thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted in another thread about team stats like margin of victory and defensive points/% allowed becoming meaningless when you get to the levels of Uconn record setting performances because the determining factor in the final number is usually controlled by the performance in the blow-out victories and not in the few contested games Uconn plays. And in rereading that post I started thinking about Geno's coaching and came to this conclusion:
I believe Geno does more coaching and teaching in the last 10 minutes of blow out wins than pretty much anyone else coaching in the college game. And I think this is something that has changed over the years. For Uconn there really is seldom true garbage time - he is using the time to work on half court offense and keeping the team from fast breaks, or fiddling with different zones and traps off zones, or ...
I remember in past years there were more games where he just basically went to sleep in a game like SMU and let the bench and whatever starters were in run whatever they wanted however they wanted and it could get pretty ugly and definitely boring. I don't see that any more and it makes the games more fascinating for me as I pick up on different adjustments he is making.
And I think it is pretty unique - Uconn runs good offense and good defense anyway compared to most programs, but I think the difference in blow-outs is even more stark. I think for example Baylor might be an even better team if during that OOC when they were racking up a 40+ margin of victory and Sims was establishing her 30+ ppg if Kim had been doing more work on getting the new players involved. And I am not calling out Kim specifically. I just think most coaches don't use game time in blow-outs to actually teach and improve their teams.

Reaction Score
Geno has made the "blow-out wins much more interesting of late. I've been noticing this also. The goal is not to rack up stats, but to work with the team to become more effective. Geno has his eye on the ball for sure.

Reaction Score
The most obvious ( at least to me ) is , when the last of the bench players enter the game, they always play defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom