A gala New Year's Eve 'Knight' for our Huskies? | The Boneyard

A gala New Year's Eve 'Knight' for our Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The Stanford game is on the 29th. We follow that with a game at Oregon in the afternoon of the 31st. I have read that the Oregon basketball facility is superb and largely funded by Nike Big Cheese Phil Knight. Nike headquarters are in the area and I suspect Phil's pad is not a 2 bedroom, one and a half bath thing. UConn is a Nike school.

Therefore...with somewhat shaky logic...I am betting that Phil invites the entire UConn traveling party to his home for a New Year's celebration. Have the kids make some business connections.....let Geno schmooze all the bigwigs out there....let the good times roll!

Our long ago poster KaitTheGreat said she will be at that game and I would urge her to latch onto somebody UConn-ish and crash the bash.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Stanford game is on the 29th. We follow that with a game at Oregon in the afternoon of the 31st. I have read that the Oregon basketball facility is superb and largely funded by Nike Big Cheese Phil Knight. Nike headquarters are in the area and I suspect Phil's pad is not a 2 bedroom, one and a half bath thing. UConn is a Nike school.

Therefore...with somewhat shaky logic...I am betting that Phil invites the entire UConn traveling party to his home for a New Year's celebration. Have the kids make some business connections.....let Geno schmooze all the bigwigs out there....let the good times roll!

Our long ago poster KaitTheGreat said she will be at that game and I would urge her to latch onto somebody UConn-ish and crash the bash.
That would be cool.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I was wondering/hoping about that too.....would be so cool for the team. Hope you are right!

Reaction Score
That would be cool.
Not if they lost to Stanford 2 days before.

Who scheduled this thing, anyway? Wouldn't you prefer to play Oregon first, just to get your groove back after flying 3,000 miles, and then play Stanford?

I hereby publicly curse the dork who made the decision to refuse SNY the right to pick up the PAC12 broadcast for a fee. Petty stuff, I think, despite alexrgct's explanation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It would still be cool seeing Knight's place. Hobnobbing with Michael, Bo, Troy Polamalu, Lance, Tiger, Lance, Wayne Rooney, etc. :cool:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It would still be cool seeing Knight's place. Hobnobbing with Michael, Bo, Troy Polamalu, Lance, Tiger, Lance, Wayne Rooney, etc. :cool:

I think Eugene is about 2 hours soth of Portland (Kait?? can you confirm?).
An invite to King Phil's place may be the only bright lights NYE opportunity around.

Although most college towns do have some good restaurants, I'd be angling to see the estate that running shoes built if I could.....

And to Wonk's point, I'll be listening to Bob Joyce on the radio and hoping JA's tweets are entertaining.....a pox on the PAC12 hubris.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And to Wonk's point, I'll be listening to Bob Joyce on the radio and hoping JA's tweets are entertaining.....a pox on the PAC12 hubris.
I get the PAC12 channel on Comcast. :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I get the PAC12 channel on Comcast. :)
Me too. I was keeping it quiet until someone like you invited everyone over for the game party. I want a clear view of my TV.....

Reaction Score

I will be at the Stanford game, and will try to post my impressions live from Maples. I won't make up for lack of TV coverage and I may not be as entertaining as JA, but we do what we can!!!! I am SOOO looking forward to my first and possibly only look at this year's Huskies!

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

Hhahaha.. Well Beaverton is 2 hours away from Eugene, but it's not like Uncle Phil doesn't have a place in Eugene or a private jet with which he often flies back and forth between the two cities. I have seats right behind the UConn bench, deciding that I will wear my U of O hoodie but cheer for both, for fear that I will be beaten and kicked out of school. School pride here is a VERY important thing lol. But blake, isn't that an NCAA violation? lol

Have to say, I spent a few hours in the Matt to watch our women's volleyball team take on Penn State in the NCAA semi's, and the arena is the most beautiful I've ever seen. I haven't seen anything other than lobbys and inside the arena, but I'd imagine the locker rooms are top notch because the football locker room is unlike any in the country.

I do wonder if they'll hop on a plane at Eugene Airport and head back to CT right after the game or if they'll stay. I haven't heard of many teams staying after a game, but who knows, maybe Geno wants to allow them to celebrate a little bit.

I'll do my best to crash this possible bash lol

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Another Nike connection:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030930&slug=suebird30

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/2/1552394_9264c7c689_m.jpg

And then there's the first female basketball player to sign with the Nike Jordan brand. What's her name? You know, the one scoring over 40 ppg in China. :)

Kind of OT but since this has to do with Birdy.. I waited on the athletic trainer of the Storm and he was telling me all about her and the other UConn girls he's worked with. It was really cool. They are from Washington and his wife had on a UConn sweatshirt, said the girls coverted them to UConn fans.

Nike runs this state though, that's for sure.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
OK... Mrs Yank and I are trecking to Eugene for the game... And we will brave the locals with our UCONN shirts... Maybe Geno will single us out to be invited to his New Year's bash... That is, if he is staying for the evening... (If not, it's back to Portland for our own bash I guess.)

Reaction Score
Hhahaha.. Well Beaverton is 2 hours away from Eugene, but it's not like Uncle Phil doesn't have a place in Eugene or a private jet with which he often flies back and forth between the two cities. I have seats right behind the UConn bench, deciding that I will wear my U of O hoodie but cheer for both, for fear that I will be beaten and kicked out of school. School pride here is a VERY important thing lol. But blake, isn't that an NCAA violation? lol

Have to say, I spent a few hours in the Matt to watch our women's volleyball team take on Penn State in the NCAA semi's, and the arena is the most beautiful I've ever seen. I haven't seen anything other than lobbys and inside the arena, but I'd imagine the locker rooms are top notch because the football locker room is unlike any in the country.

I do wonder if they'll hop on a plane at Eugene Airport and head back to CT right after the game or if they'll stay. I haven't heard of many teams staying after a game, but who knows, maybe Geno wants to allow them to celebrate a little bit.

I'll do my best to crash this possible bash lol

Kait, what's the consensus about the tree graphics on the basketball court among the students and the press in Eugene? Like, or dislike? I would guess it is different in person, but of the glimpses I've seen on TV so far, it seems distracting for the viewer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Me too. I was keeping it quiet until someone like you invited everyone over for the game party. I want a clear view of my TV.....
Oh they won't be "inside" the house watching. There's a front window they can look through. ;)

Oh wait a minute. I won't even be home New Years Eve. Up in Northampton for a concert. Yea definitely the front window, I'll leave the TV on.

Reaction Score
Oh wait a minute. I won't even be home New Years Eve. Up in Northampton for a concert. Yea definitely the front window, I'll leave the TV on.
That's okay. Just leave the door unlocked so we don't have to break in, and where do you keep the liquor?:D

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Kait: we are expecting mucho wisdom from you here post game. Kiddo....don't disappoint.
You an undergrad out there or a grad student....what field?

Reaction Score

Who scheduled this thing, anyway? Wouldn't you prefer to play Oregon first, just to get your groove back after flying 3,000 miles, and then play Stanford?

I hereby publicly curse the dork who made the decision to refuse SNY the right to pick up the PAC12 broadcast for a fee. Petty stuff, I think, despite alexrgct's explanation.

paul westhead is the oregon coach. with the amount of back and forth that will go on in that game, maybe better to get the stanford game done first. they're throwing up 24 3-pointers per.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Kait, what's the consensus about the tree graphics on the basketball court among the students and the press in Eugene? Like, or dislike? I would guess it is different in person, but of the glimpses I've seen on TV so far, it seems distracting for the viewer.

We like it. It looks really cool when you can see that it's a forest. At first, on TV, it just looks like an unfinished floor. But the court and the entire arena are beautiful

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Kait: we are expecting mucho wisdom from you here post game. Kiddo....don't disappoint.
You an undergrad out there or a grad student....what field?

Haha.. I can tell you one thing, the injuries we've suffered here at Oregon are going to make this an insane blowout. Within the first week of the season we only had 7 players available.

I'm an undergrad, hopefully graduating June of '14. I'm studying Human Physiology

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Hey Kait... Boneyard meeting at half time??? Location???

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Haha.. I can tell you one thing, the injuries we've suffered here at Oregon are going to make this an insane blowout. Within the first week of the season we only had 7 players available.

I'm an undergrad, hopefully graduating June of '14. I'm studying Human Physiology
Maybe you should go ahead and suit up then ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom