A focus on the transfer portals impact on college basketball beyond UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A focus on the transfer portals impact on college basketball beyond UConn

Reaction Score
The portal was designed to give kids their 2nd and last chance to immediately determine their own collegiate path. Kids empowered.

NIL was designed to give kids their fair share of $$$ representative of the means to which their names are utilized by others. Kids empowered.

I expect kids with higher profiles get more NIL $$$.
I expect profiles are higher when you’re playing almost regardless of program.

Diggins $ on the bench at UConn < Diggins $ playing for Temple.

This will all shake out as a plus for the kids that do transfer in terms of playing time, visibility and $. For the kids that don’t get picked up it will have been a bad decision but that is no reason to dismiss the portal and the freedom it gives to kids.

A new paradigm is in place that will impact rosters every season as well as high school recruiting. High school coaches need to understand and impress up on their kids just how much a recruiting school utilizes the portal vs. incoming freshmen. College coaches have the responsibility to be honest and forthright to their kids so they can decide what’s best for themselves. Personally, I believe Hurley did just that.

There are a lot of things I’ll miss re: player development just like I did when the 4 year player shrunk years ago. Loss of upper classmen led directly to a drop in quality of play but few care because it’s the game itself and schools we love more.

Reaction Score
As long as schools have 13 scholarships and use them and the transfer rules remain as they are now, the portal will simply be part of the recruiting timeline. Early signing period, late signing period and portal signings. No program will be immune to kids moving unless you only have 10 or less scholarships used. In the last two years I think 3,000 kids have entered the portal and UConn has had 4? I think increasingly it will be a common occurrence for the kids that don't get PT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#
Top Bottom