A Few Thoughts | The Boneyard

A Few Thoughts

Reaction Score
1. Obviously Bouknight, Whaley and Gilbert were just great. The Bouk run in the 2d half was unreal, but Gilbert's run in the 1st half when we couldn't buy points was just as important.

2. While I'm happy we won comfortably, note that we didn't get over the hump of winning a close one. We're not good enough to be blowing all the good teams in our conference out. We need to be able to win a close game so we believe we can.

3. The effort on this team is really good day after day.

4. Shooting, however, is another thing. Man, you knew we would have to get hot as a team from 3 eventually, and tonight we did, Was this the percentages evening out or will we now be a little better.

5. Carlton tried but fouls took away a chance. I'll give Akok a pass if he was banged up. We just need more from Adams, period.

Reaction Score
I only disagree with #2. It was a close game and UConn did win it. Their lead was cut to 3 and Tulsa clearly had momentum until Bouknight and others stepped up. They didn't let up and didn't look back from there. It's not like they had this one in the bag from the opening minutes like the win against Temple. This was a hard fought victory and a close game until UConn pulled away. I know what you're saying, winning by 1-7 points in like the "close" ones they had lost previously. To me, this was a close game the whole way until some guys stepped up for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5. Carlton tried but fouls took away a chance. I'll give Akok a pass if he was banged up. We just need more from Adams, period.
Does anyone know why Akok didn't start? I read on here a couple places that he was banged up but then I saw this in the Courant.

Vital scored 10, and Isaiah Whaley had 10, with 12 rebounds, a critical contribution with Josh Carlton in foul trouble and Akok Akok held out of the starting lineup in what Hurley called “a teaching moment.”

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Akok didn't start? I read on here a couple places that he was banged up but then I saw this in the Courant.

Vital scored 10, and Isaiah Whaley had 10, with 12 rebounds, a critical contribution with Josh Carlton in foul trouble and Akok Akok held out of the starting lineup in what Hurley called “a teaching moment.”

The reports I'm hearing is that Akok smoked too much weed, road too many scooters, stole too many laptops, never dove for balls, and never picked a fellow teammate up off the court. I kid, I kid, all the opposite!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Per Borges... initial report was he was "banged up" but after the game apparently Hurley said something along the lines that "the freshmen can't take anything for granted". Maybe sending a message? Idk. Apparently in line to start again Sunday.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why he didn't start, but I will say that I loved the possession late in the game where he caught the ball on the baseline and immediately went up with it from 8 feet and made it. He's got a nice touch; not sure why we don't throw it down low to him more often when we're struggling to score. I think he could be a real asset there.

Reaction Score
Maybe, it is because Akok fumbles every single pass that is made to him when he is in traffic and he takes a lot of shots that have zero chance of going in. If Hurley's goal is to win this year, then Akok has to be under more control this year. If Hurley wants him to develop this year for the future, then Hurley should let him play until he gets it right.
Sorry, but I think you’re just partly right, but, that’s what practice is for. To get it right for gametime. Akok had a very poor showing overall Against Tulsa. Maybe he was banged up or sick. It’s that time of the year. Possible James is gettin through the “freshman wall”, and Akok is stuck against it still. I believe he(Akok) has bad games when he doesn’t move his feet and to work hard to get in position for the rebound. Just leaning against the opposing player’s back while the ball’s going up to the hoop won’t do it. He actually helps the other guy box him out. They’ll watch the replay and see it I’m sure. Whaley is showing him how it’s done. Things are still lookin up. Great game. I’m very happy for the team. They’ve been through alot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Per Borges... initial report was he was "banged up" but after the game apparently Hurley said something along the lines that "the freshmen can't take anything for granted". Maybe sending a message? Idk. Apparently in line to start again Sunday.

Could be both. Maybe Akok was digging it in a practice and Hurley gets on his ear and the response was "hey coach, I'm banged up and can't go full speed today"
Coach feels kid is well enough to go hard.
Teaching moment is if you let every little bump or bruise affect your practice, it's going to cut on to playing time.
Pure conjecture on my part but I can see several scenarios where a new pup needs to learn how to play tough with nagging injuries in Feb and March.

Reaction Score
I only disagree with #2. It was a close game and UConn did win it. Their lead was cut to 3 and Tulsa clearly had momentum until Bouknight and others stepped up. They didn't let up and didn't look back from there. It's not like they had this one in the bag from the opening minutes like the win against Temple. This was a hard fought victory and a close game until UConn pulled away. I know what you're saying, winning by 1-7 points in like the "close" ones they had lost previously. To me, this was a close game the whole way until some guys stepped up for UConn.
100% agreed. If Tulsa hadn't missed most of their free throws and hadn't generally collapsed, the game would have been much closer. We made shots, managed the shot clock extremely well, and just executed our plan. What might have been a close win turned into a mini-blowout. If that's not a positive, then nothing is.

Reaction Score
100% agreed. If Tulsa hadn't missed most of their free throws and hadn't generally collapsed, the game would have been much closer. We made shots, managed the shot clock extremely well, and just executed our plan. What might have been a close win turned into a mini-blowout. If that's not a positive, then nothing is.
It's the kind of win in a close game we've all been hoping to see. I hope this means they took a huge step forward in their team development. I think these kids believe in themselves and each other. Taking the pressure off AG frees him up to perform at his AA ability that got him too UConn. Bouknight finally didn't look afraid to shoot and good things happened. The team fed off each other when one or another got a hot hand. It was awesome to watch! Gave me goosebumps and had me thinking of the great teams of UConn past.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why he didn't start, but I will say that I loved the possession late in the game where he caught the ball on the baseline and immediately went up with it from 8 feet and made it. He's got a nice touch; not sure why we don't throw it down low to him more often when we're struggling to score. I think he could be a real asset there.

Some of this is on Akok, some is on Hurley. A stretch 4 isn’t a shooting guard. He should be inside 2/3 the time and popping outside now and then. He needs to work harder to get open whether inside or out. We desperately need inside scoring and he’s the best option.

Overall his play has slipped. Early in the year his hustle and effort level were off the charts. Lately I don’t see it at the same level. His offense and ability to catch the ball....general awareness, has been awful of late. He’s not even getting the blocks he was. A message was needed because Akok can be so much better than this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It was a a close game that they responded to like no other game this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like the win and I am happy with how the team played, but the reality is UConn was headed for a photo finish until Rachal got hurt. Tulsa only has 5 players that should even be on the court, and when they lost one of them, the game was over.

Korita just flat out sucks. I would weep openly if UConn had to give a stiff like that meaningful minutes every game. I have no idea why he was checking Bouk, but it became a one-on-one game that Tulsa had no chance of winning when they did that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I like the win and I am happy with how the team played, but the reality is UConn was headed for a photo finish until Rachal got hurt. Tulsa only has 5 players that should even be on the court, and when they lost one of them, the game was over.

Korita just flat out sucks. I would weep openly if UConn had to give a stiff like that meaningful minutes every game. I have no idea why he was checking Bouk, but it became a one-on-one game that Tulsa had no chance of winning when they did that.
And he has the same hairdo as my 5 year old niece.

Reaction Score

The only thing I'd say is that Tulsa wasn't far off their season FT % in the game. They made one less FT than their season average would've expected so it's not like they were up there bricking it. That wasn't their issue.

Reaction Score
The reports I'm hearing is that Akok smoked too much weed, road too many scooters, stole too many laptops, never dove for balls, and never picked a fellow teammate up off the court. I kid, I kid, all the opposite!
You forgot about him scaring people with a ski mask and a plastic knife smeared in fake blood.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Seen that before with a lot of bigs on offense, the less they think about it and just play, the better it turns out.

Reaction Score

some just can't enjoy a win

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom