A few observations from Columbia | The Boneyard

A few observations from Columbia

Reaction Score
What a great place to go for a game. My wife and I were met with nothing but cordiality as we wandered around before and durring the game. Granted, after the game as we left, cordial turned more into trying to ignore us, but that's OK.

1. If they're calling it a sell-out, USC bought a bunch of tickets. The lower level was full or very nearly full but the corners in the upper deck were pretty empty. I'm not a pro but I'd estimate at least 1,000 ghosts in those sold out GA seats.
2. Really nice and walkable downtown. A huge assortment of options for food, though not much that we found in the way of interesting shops to kill time. Be careful walking, drivers seem to love to run red lights.
3. Really, really nice arena. One panel in the central scoreboard was out but not a big deal. My only objection, and it's a small one, is that the ceiling is so low. Seated halfway up in the upper ring, we couldn't see across and saw only the back of any hanging banners. (Not that we needed that. Banners for winning the ACC or getting to the Elite 8 are not a big deal.)

If you're touring the south and planning to hit Charleston and/or Savannah, try to add a day for Columbia (more if you plan to visit the zoo) and maybe even a day for Greenville (skip the zoo here).

Reaction Score
What a great place to go for a game. My wife and I were met with nothing but cordiality as we wandered around before and durring the game. Granted, after the game as we left, cordial turned more into trying to ignore us, but that's OK.

1. If they're calling it a sell-out, USC bought a bunch of tickets. The lower level was full or very nearly full but the corners in the upper deck were pretty empty. I'm not a pro but I'd estimate at least 1,000 ghosts in those sold out GA seats.
2. Really nice and walkable downtown. A huge assortment of options for food, though not much that we found in the way of interesting shops to kill time. Be careful walking, drivers seem to love to run red lights.
3. Really, really nice arena. One panel in the central scoreboard was out but not a big deal. My only objection, and it's a small one, is that the ceiling is so low. Seated halfway up in the upper ring, we couldn't see across and saw only the back of any hanging banners. (Not that we needed that. Banners for winning the ACC or getting to the Elite 8 are not a big deal.)

If you're touring the south and planning to hit Charleston and/or Savannah, try to add a day for Columbia (more if you plan to visit the zoo) and maybe even a day for Greenville (skip the zoo here).
Well, I would agree with most of what you said, but a huge negative was Security not allowing a handbag to be brought in- nothing posted on my ticket as a warning. I had to walk back to my hotel, where I met up with a half dozen women with the same problem, to leave my small handbag, and then walk back to the arena. What utter nonsense- I could easily have concealed any number of objects under my jacket or in my pockets, but a small handbag that was examined by security wasn’t allowed? No common sense here. I haven’t been to any games in CT in a few years- same rules?

Reaction Score
Well, I would agree with most of what you said, but a huge negative was Security not allowing a handbag to be brought in- nothing posted on my ticket as a warning. I had to walk back to my hotel, where I met up with a half dozen women with the same problem, to leave my small handbag, and then walk back to the arena. What utter nonsense- I could easily have concealed any number of objects under my jacket or in my pockets, but a small handbag that was examined by security wasn’t allowed? No common sense here. I haven’t been to any games in CT in a few years- same rules?

Agree this was a strange policy, mainly because they didn't check any coats etc and barely look in the bags anyway.
They should have allowed a very small purse in though, but maybe yours was just a little too big? I got in with my very small cross body bag.
Luckily I checked the gamecocks website first and saw their clear bag policy (which allows small purses not to exceed 4.5" x 6.5")

Reaction Score

Agree- great venue, fans and atmosphere!
Also with the day trip to Greenville SC, really nice downtown area and great restaurants. (but yes skip the zoo) In fact our trip from CT to Greenville 8 years ago convinced us that was the area we were looking for and a few months later we moved there.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

IMHO Greenville is one of the top tourist spots in the south. It has a top 5 downtown and amazing natural attractions. try #yeahthatgreenville

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agree- great venue, fans and atmosphere!
Also with the day trip to Greenville SC, really nice downtown area and great restaurants. (but yes skip the zoo) In fact our trip from CT to Greenville 8 years ago convinced us that was the area we were looking for and a few months later we moved there.
Hey TR, I just moved to Orlando from Greenville and miss it terribly and you are living in a jewel of a location. Don't forget to have everyone visit the full size replica of Fenway located downtown for the Drive minor league team

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Glad you had a great time! Did a lot of UConn fans make the trip?

Columbia always surprises people when they visit for the first time. They talk about great college towns in the South and you always hear about Athens, Oxford, Knoxville, Chapel Hill etc.. but never hear Columbia. To be honest, that’s fair because “Cola” (as we call it) isn’t really a town but it also isn’t a very big city. IMO, it’s the perfect size for a large university.. small enough to feel comfortable but big enough to not get bored. For someone college aged, 18-25 or so, there’s always something to do at a very cheap price... not many major universities in southern towns/small cities are flanked by two nightlife districts on opposite sides (The Vista & 5 points). But if you just HAVE to get away to a bigger city, Charlotte is an hour and a half north and Atlanta is 3.5 hours west. Cola also has a major military base and is the state capital.. so all of that gives it a weird mix of people that’s different from Greenville’s small town charm and Charleston’s touristy cosmopolitan flair.

It’s interesting what you said about the arena too. It’s well over ten years old but still looks pretty new. When the university first decided to build it there A LOT of people hated the location because at that time the area was pretty much a vast wasteland of commuter student parking lots (plus The Vista was a shell of what it is today).. but now, in hindsight, it was probably the smartest thing the university has EVER done. The area around it is booming and the arena has really anchored The Vista, which gets better every year with more nice hotels, restaurants and bars. Plus the university is growing in that direction with our old basketball arena (the huge square building, you can’t miss it) set to become a new Student Union in a few years and more dorms soon to be built over there.

I should’ve pursued a career in college admissions recruiting! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same rule at UVA. It was instituted following the events of August 12 in C’vIlle.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Yeah our clear bag policy just started last year. I’m surprised they didn’t advertise that policy more for the visitors..

Reaction Score
Same rule at UVA. It was instituted following the events of August 12 in C’vIlle.

Went to a Florida State game and they have the same clear bag policy. They would be happy to provide you with a bag for $20.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
RE: the clear bag policy, I agree it's absolutely ridiculous. UCLA has one and I was surprised the 1st time and had to walk back to my car, leave my knapsack, and only bring my wallet and cell phone. Next time, I tucked my knapsack into my pants, and brought an XL ziplock to contain my wallet, cell phone, and other stuff, then transferred it once I got inside.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Or are they trying to protect Boyle and what she's done to that program...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Agreed, I forgot to mention this. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom