A Few Miscellaneous Thoughts | The Boneyard

A Few Miscellaneous Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. I liked the way Tiffany started. As a senior, she feels a sense of urgency. Though the rest of the offense was sluggish to start, Tiff was effective. Getting the team off to a good start was exactly what Maya did last year. In several games, Maya outscored--or nearly so--the entire opposition by the half. Tiff also looked for her teammates and recorded a double-double. Excellent start for Captain Hayes.

2. Kaleena is way more than a shooter, though she may be the best shooter we have seen. As Geno noted, Mater Dei played full court press on every possession. And Kaleena was at the point, chasing down point guards. She has very active hands and good anticipation. She does not have Maya's reach or elevation, but she still gets her hands on the ball a lot. She is very accustomed to playing aggressive defense. Diana's 3-point record is in serious jeopardy.

3. Kiah had nice numbers; Brianna was a little tentative. But Geno says the freshmen are good, there are no two ways about it. They are works in progress, of course, but they should all be big contributors.

4. MJ has a way of slipping inside the defenders, and she makes shots from in close. 9 points on 4 shots--very nice. She seems to be on her way back. She was a demon in high school. She seems to be healthy, is a little stronger, and knows the system better. She'll have her ups and downs, but she is clearly on an uptrend.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems like just yesterday I suggested that one or more of the threesome would step up and provide substantial back-up
in the forecourt. Looks like MJ wins the prize for first off the mark. Couldn't happen to a nicer young woman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seems like just yesterday I suggested that one or more of the threesome would step up and provide substantial back-up
in the forecourt. Looks like MJ wins the prize for first off the mark. Couldn't happen to a nicer young woman.
agreed but don't forget Kiah had 7 and 6 - even tho she and Michala played less minutes than Heather, their stats were much better.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But Heather was much better on D.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But Heather was much better on D.
i figured that's why she was on the court for more minutes. granted i did not see any of the game so i can't go by anything. i'm really rooting for Heather to not only play solid defense, but average 4-5 or so PPG and 3-4 RPG. i know in limited minutes that would be substantial output for her, but i'd love to see her first off the bench to replace Stef... and average at least 10 minutes per game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While she didn't score Heather was active on offense and moved the ball in the offense and fought well for position in the post. Timing with the guards for the entry was more of the issue. She played in the low post. Kiah and Michala less so. Heather made great effort on several plays going after loose balls and balls going out of bounds.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ah great stuff to read thanks ice. can't wait till i can see some games on tv!!

sTu

Reaction Score
What is a most wondeful change about Heather was something you had to be at the game to see. The sheer joy she demonstrated interacting with her team in the pre-game was in sharp contrast to previous years. Her energy level, involvement, and encouragement were five star. Southbranch and I both thought that her confidence level is benefiting from the maturity she is demonstrating. I believe she blocked a couple of shots and her help defense was solid. If the basketball gods smile on her and she hits some shots......

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think, if you put the info together, it is encouraging.

Heather played good defense, was energetic and involved.

Kiah got to play in front of 6,000+ fans and had 7 and 6.

MJ shot 4-4 and had 9.

We do not need any of them to be great. We have others for that. We just need them to do well and not make very many major errors.

When Geno said that the forwards were inconsistent, I was hoping that they still would get PT. That may be better than asking Kelly or Kaleena to play too many minutes at PF. Geno has 3 players he can bring in. If, for example, Heather is not playing well, try MJ or Kiah. Try all of them. Last year, the choice was an occasionally hobbled and not very confident Heather or a recovering, underweight, and rusty MJ. The options are much better this year.

Reaction Score
sTu: Yup, i noticed the demeanor dimensions as well. Not that I didn't see and feel "happiness' from her in prior years, but there did seem to be a ramping up as you describe so well. Re her "game" per se, I was less enthusiastic than some of the other posters.

My top four for the night over-lapped some with MILFORDS -- Hayes, Lewis (by the way, I thought she DID evidence a gimpy leg once in the not-too-distant past????), Faris, and Johnson (who followed up very impressively on that statistically strong performance in the one Italy game where she was given a reasonable chance to play).

SInce I don't know where else to do it, I want to give a shout out to DADDY CHOC here: thank you for inquiring about my well-being. You pleasantly surprised me, and I appreciated your "Winlots" thread very much...both the content and the tone. When we went to a new board, it just seemed like an appropriate time to re-order some of time allotment......and we've been dealing with some health issues with my beloved wife for a few months as well. My appreciation also to the others of you who have contacted my along the way since the new board formed. Stay well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
sTu: Yup, i noticed the demeanor dimensions as well. Not that I didn't see and feel "happiness' from her in prior years, but there did seem to be a ramping up as you describe so well. Re her "game" per se, I was less enthusiastic than some of the other posters.

My top four for the night over-lapped some with MILFORDS -- Hayes, Lewis (by the way, I thought she DID evidence a gimpy leg once in the not-too-distant past????), Faris, and Johnson (who followed up very impressively on that statistically strong performance in the one Italy game where she was given a reasonable chance to play).

SInce I don't know where else to do it, I want to give a shout out to DADDY CHOC here: thank you for inquiring about my well-being. You pleasantly surprised me, and I appreciated your "Winlots" thread very much...both the content and the tone. When we went to a new board, it just seemed like an appropriate time to re-order some of time allotment......and we've been dealing with some health issues with my beloved wife for a few months as well. My appreciation also to the others of you who have contacted my along the way since the new board formed. Stay well.

KML had a minor thigh injury of some sort that kept her out of one of the national HS all-star games earlier this year. She did play in the McD game but was not 100%. I don't remember the exact nature of the injury but I know it wasn't the knee (whew) or ankle.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KML had a minor thigh injury of some sort that kept her out of one of the national HS all-star games earlier this year. She did play in the McD game but was not 100%. I don't remember the exact nature of the injury but I know it wasn't the knee (whew) or ankle.
In addition, I think either Kaleena or one of her teammates was out for maybe 1 game early in post-season play last year. Not sure who it was, but I think it was a minor leg injury.

One of the hallmarks of Maya's greatness was her durability. She hit the floor hard a number of times, but she may have missed all of 10-15 minutes to injury in 154 games. Amazing!

Best wishes of good health to Kaleena and all the Huskies!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In addition, I think either Kaleena or one of her teammates was out for maybe 1 game early in post-season play last year. Not sure who it was, but I think it was a minor leg injury.

One of the hallmarks of Maya's greatness was her durability. She hit the floor hard a number of times, but she may have missed all of 10-15 minutes to injury in 154 games. Amazing!

Best wishes of good health to Kaleena and all the Huskies!

You're right - I'd forgotten she was also out for a game or two during the CA state playoffs for Mater Dei. Might have been related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom