A familiar former UConn foe joins the Connecticut Sun | The Boneyard

A familiar former UConn foe joins the Connecticut Sun

Reaction Score
UNCASVILLE, Conn. (June 8, 2017) – The Connecticut Sun have signed point guard Feyonda Fitzgerald to a contract. She joined team workouts today.

Selected by the Indiana Fever in the second round of the 2017 WNBA Draft with the 20th overall pick, the 5-foot-9 Fitzgerald averaged 17.3 points and 7.3 assists at Temple. She finished her career as the all-time career leader in assists (635) and ranked second in career points (1,824). Fitzgerald set a single-season program record with 232 assists as a senior, helping lead the Owls to a 24-8 record and a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

She will fill the roster spot left available by Alex Bentley, who has temporarily left the team to compete for the Belarus National Team in the FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017 tournament.

“We’re excited to have Fee as part of the team,” Sun head coach and general manager Curt Miller said. “She was the last player cut in the Indiana camp. She could easily have made that roster coming out of training camp. It brings us some athleticism in the back court while Alex is gone. She has a great change of pace, change of direction. She’s a proven scorer at the collegiate level, but also a good passer. We’re excited to get a quality player in here after Alex left. “

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
UNCASVILLE, Conn. (June 8, 2017) – The Connecticut Sun have signed point guard Feyonda Fitzgerald to a contract. She joined team workouts today.

Selected by the Indiana Fever in the second round of the 2017 WNBA Draft with the 20th overall pick, the 5-foot-9 Fitzgerald averaged 17.3 points and 7.3 assists at Temple. She finished her career as the all-time career leader in assists (635) and ranked second in career points (1,824). Fitzgerald set a single-season program record with 232 assists as a senior, helping lead the Owls to a 24-8 record and a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

She will fill the roster spot left available by Alex Bentley, who has temporarily left the team to compete for the Belarus National Team in the FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017 tournament.

“We’re excited to have Fee as part of the team,” Sun head coach and general manager Curt Miller said. “She was the last player cut in the Indiana camp. She could easily have made that roster coming out of training camp. It brings us some athleticism in the back court while Alex is gone. She has a great change of pace, change of direction. She’s a proven scorer at the collegiate level, but also a good passer. We’re excited to get a quality player in here after Alex left. “

I am not really familiar with Feyonda's game, but I am a little surprised that the Sun wouldn't have called back Jess January.

Technical question... I'm guessing Alex is now off the Sun payroll, "suspended"? Under what provision can the Sun replace her otherwise?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Additionally, Jordan Hooper was traded to the Dream for a 2nd round pick next draft. Maybe Alex is still on the payroll? With Fee in and Jordan out, there's still 12 counting Alex.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm familiar with Fitzgerald, I'm glad to see she got picked up by the Sun. I was disappointed when she was cut by the Fever. She can play at that level. :)

Reaction Score
I am not really familiar with Feyonda's game, but I am a little surprised that the Sun wouldn't have called back Jess January.

Technical question... I'm guessing Alex is now off the Sun payroll, "suspended"? Under what provision can the Sun replace her otherwise?
On the one hand, bringing January back would have made sense because she already has some familiarity with Miller's system and has proven she can work within it. On the other hand, it is signing a second round pick and not signing a third round pick.

Reaction Score
Additionally, Jordan Hooper was traded to the Dream for a 2nd round pick next draft. Maybe Alex is still on the payroll? With Fee in and Jordan out, there's still 12 counting Alex.

No, she would be suspended from the payroll. She's shown as suspended on the Transactions page.

Miller doesn't seem too fond of cutting players, so maybe he figures they can get by with 11 for a couple of weeks.

Who's out there that the Sun should take a look at?

If Fitzgerald works out, I wonder if Miller would be open to trading Banham for Cruz. The more Spanish national team members, the better.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom