A fact about Geno's compensation | The Boneyard

A fact about Geno's compensation

Reaction Score
No funds from the CT State budget are used to pay Geno Auriemma. [See Duncan Idaho's post in the OP; the link there is Athletic Coach Salaries]

"Athletic Coach Salaries," 2005 Report of the Office of Legislative Research. In relevant part it states: Compensation is paid from Athletic Department revenue: ticket sales, [TV] and radio revenue, Big East and NCAA revenues, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, etc.

Reaction Score
Great catch! It's great that athletics is self-supporting. this is really helpful.

The only point I'd want to look at more closely is the revenue from private fundraising. Sometimes donors will give only for a particular reason, and so, if it's not given to help support Geno's compensation, it might not be given at all. But other donors are "led" to a particular purpose, and might well have given for other purposes. In that case, it would detract from funding other, perhaps academic needs. But I doubt that it would be a substantial amount, and it seems that the coaches' salaries in football, MCBB and WCBB are pretty much self-supporting.

I still think they (not just UConn, but all college coaches making 7 figures) get paid way too much. But of course, since top college and pro coaching is somewhat interchangeable, the pro salaries to a large degree set the college salaries of top coaches.

Reaction Score
Great catch! It's great that athletics is self-supporting. this is really helpful.

1. Remember that this study is from 12 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

2. Athletics at most colleges, including UConn, are not self-supporting. The only sport at UConn that does not lose money is basketball. According to NC AA statistics, UConn lost over $27 million the previous year on athletics.

Reaction Score

2. Athletics at most colleges, including UConn, are not self-supporting. The only sport at UConn that does not lose money is basketball. According to NC AA statistics, UConn lost over $27 million the previous year on athletics.
Another great catch.

And it got me thinking about the indirect costs to UConn to allow the Athletic Dept to fund Geno and other coaches. Even the clause that allows Geno to have a summer basketball camp produces unrecouped maintenance costs to UConn. Virtually no one else is allowed to use university facilities without reimbursement to the institution. Famously, universities bill the federal government north of 60% for indirect cost recovery for laboratory work, for example. Yet, Geno can use Werth gratis.

Again, in the crazy world we inhabit, Geno more than deserves what he gets. just that it is a crazy world.

Reaction Score

I believe those monies are subsidized from student fees and not from state funds.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I believe those monies are subsidized from student fees and not from state funds.

Well if that is true. . . with ~ 30,000 students, they will be thrilled to hear that ~$1000 of their tuition costs go to this

Reaction Score

The only point I'd want to look at more closely is the revenue from private fundraising. Sometimes donors will give only for a particular reason, and so, if it's not given to help support Geno's compensation, it might not be given at all. But other donors are "led" to a particular purpose, and might well have given for other purposes. In that case, it would detract from funding other, perhaps academic needs. But I doubt that it would be a substantial amount, and it seems that the coaches' salaries in football, MCBB and WCBB are pretty much self-supporting.

I still think they (not just UConn, but all college coaches making 7 figures) get paid way too much. But of course, since top college and pro coaching is somewhat interchangeable, the pro salaries to a large degree set the college salaries of top coaches.

Last time I looked, Connecticut supplied its athletics department with one of the highest subsidies of any division 1 university. The number $27 million sticks in my mind.

The athletic department runs major deficits at UConn.

Reaction Score

Agreed this is OLD study. Remember, Geno now has TV and other compensation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom