A Dominance Unlike Any Other | The Boneyard

A Dominance Unlike Any Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Domination has been a regularly visited topic on this board. I think most, if not all, would agree that UConn has been the most dominant program in WBB over the last X years (fill in your own value for X). Often Domination is measured in terms of national championships, final fours, and the like. One measure I've been tracking with data going back to 2003 has been the voting in the AP and ESPN polls, and more specifically, the first place ballots cast.

Now it's true, as many will point out, that why should you care about the polls because it all gets sorted out on the court. It is also true that I'm not a fan of contests where the winner is decided by a panel of voters (e.g., the "National Shampion" crowned in football). That said, the voters in the two polls do have value. They are, after all, someone who somebody with enough influence to get their opinions listened to has decided offer sufficient expertise and objectivity to call on for advice. The reason for a preference for first place ballots is, first of all, a practical one: they are published with the poll. Beyond that, a first place vote means that one of the "objective" experts considers that team the best. It is the best programs that can show dominance, not the 25th best programs.

Beyond first place votes themselves, I look for unanimity among the voters. Each week more than 30 voters cast ballots in each poll. Unanimity is difficult to achieve. Our justice system only demands twelve people agree to convict someone of the most egregious offenses. As good as UConn was this past year, six separate times they failed to collect all the first place ballots: Tennessee got one in ESPN in the preseason, Duke got one in the AP in the first week, and four times Notre Dame received a first place vote in ESPN at the end of the season.

My records contain nearly 10,000 first place votes cast in AP balloting and 7800 votes in the ESPN polls. Of all those weekly votings, only seven teams have ever been the unanimous selection in either an AP or an ESPN poll.

Six of those teams are:
(1) Maryland, once, in ESPN.
(2) North Carolina, 4 times in the AP.
(3) Tennessee, 5 times, 3 in the AP and 2 in ESPN.
(4) Duke, 6 times, 2 in the AP, 4 in ESPN, and twice unanimous #1 in both polls.
(5) LSU, 16 times, 9 in the AP, 7 in ESPN, and 7 times in both polls.
(6) Baylor, 36 times, 23 in the AP, 13 in ESPN, and 11 times in both polls.

Then there's UConn. We have been the unanimous choice, no dissenters, as the best team almost twice as often as all other programs combined in the AP, and almost three times as often in the ESPN. UConn has been the unanimous choice in either the AP or ESPN poll an astounding 153 times, 74 in the AP, 79 in the ESPN, and 68 times in both! That's domination.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Then there's UConn. We have been the unanimous choice, no dissenters, as the best team almost twice as often as all other programs combined in the AP, and almost three times as often in the ESPN. UConn has been the unanimous choice in either the AP or ESPN poll an astounding 153 times, 74 in the AP, 79 in the ESPN, and 68 times in both! That's domination.

I guess you could say that.:D

Reaction Score
I wondered how Baylor got picked so many times, and then I saw that your data analysis went back to 2003. There were some lean years in there.

Still, a remarkable total. Basking in the dominance.

Reaction Score
Baylor had two of the most dominant seasons, poll wise in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons. They were probably unanimous in every single poll en route to going 40-0 in the 2011-2012 season and in the 2012-2013 season, they lost one game in the regular season, at the beginning of November to Stanford.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Bears' loss to Stanford in 2012 dropped Baylor to #3 Behind both Stanford and UConn. Then Baylor beat Notre Dame in late December, and UConn crushed Stanford at Maples. Sadly, after starting 2013 the #1 team, UConn completely blew it on 1/5/13 at home (of all places) against ND. Baylor became #1, ND #2, UConn #3. Of course, UConn suffered THREE more gut-punching losses to Baylor and ND (X2) heading into the 2013 NCAA tourney.

And then UConn won six of its first 46 games in a row. And UConn is a beautiful, dominant machine. I LOVED two championships in a row and look forward to everything that's about to happen next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom