A different type of holiday break: UConn teams stay in Storrs | The Boneyard

A different type of holiday break: UConn teams stay in Storrs

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook will have Christmas off — no games, no practice — but she and her UConn teammates won’t be going anywhere.

“It (stinks),” the junior guard said. “Christmas, everyone’s going to be home with their families, but at the end of the day, no one was risking coming back to quarantine and missing games.”

Rest and recuperation are UConn's holiday plans - Carl Adamec

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Thanks, I'll remember that in the future. ;) Thanks for the assist CL!! I'll use that tool in the future.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coach Geno Auriemma left it up to his players to decide where they wanted to spend the holiday. Had the team traveled home, they would’ve been required to quarantine upon returning to campus.

“Then from the 26th to whenever there would be no games,” Auriemma said. “You’d take a risk, what if something were to happen while they’re home, and you’re weighing that against, ‘well, how does that make any sense to not have them go home for Christmas?’”

Carnac

Reaction Score
Coach Geno Auriemma left it up to his players to decide where they wanted to spend the holiday. Had the team traveled home, they would’ve been required to quarantine upon returning to campus.

“Then from the 26th to whenever there would be no games,” Auriemma said. “You’d take a risk, what if something were to happen while they’re home, and you’re weighing that against, ‘well, how does that make any sense to not have them go home for Christmas?’”

The decision of whether to go home or not was low hanging fruit, a no brainer. UConn's first 3 games (Quinnipiac, Maine/Miss St and Louisville) of the season were canceled because they had to quarantine. They are still behind most other schools in the Big East in games played to this point. DePaul has already played 7 games, winning their last four. UConn can ill afford another quarantine, and more postponed games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The decision of whether to go home or not was low hanging fruit, a no brainer. UConn's first 3 games (Quinnipiac, Maine/Miss St and Louisville) of the season were canceled because they had to quarantine. They are still behind most other schools in the Big East in games played to this point. DePaul has already played 7 games, winning their last four. UConn can ill afford another quarantine, and more postponed games.
But I think more importantly, Geno is saying or at least implying that it is not neccessarily safer off campus on their own.

Carnac

Reaction Score
But I think more importantly, Geno is saying or at least implying that it is not necessarily safer off campus on their own.

As mature adults, we can see the advantages of them staying on campus for Christmas. But, to 18-22 year olds, they ALL want to go home for Christmas. As Evina said: "It stinks". They will never get Christmas of 2020 back.

They'll always remember it because of where they were, and who they spent it with; but it won't make up for not being at home with family and loved ones. If you can go home for only one holiday a year, it's Christmas.

It's a sacrifice they choose to make because of the consequences that the COVID put before them, especially Nika, Anna and Aaliyah. Remember the challenges they had trying to enter the country this summer? Time was not of the essence then, it is now. I think the best thing that could happen to this team was to get Christmas BEHIND them. Now there are no more distractions in front of them between now and the tournament.

They can't wait 2-3 weeks to re-enter because of bureaucratic "red tape." For lots of reasons, these players (and coaches) will NEVER forget the 20-21 season.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As mature adults, we can see the advantages of them staying on campus for Christmas. But, to 18-22 year olds, they AL want to go home for Christmas. If you can go home for only one holiday a year, it's Christmas.

It's a sacrifice they choose to make because of the consequences that the COVID put before them, especially Nika, Anna and Aaliyah. Remember the challenges they had trying to enter the country this summer? Time was not of the essence then, it is now. They can't wait 2-3 weeks to re-enter. For lots of reasons, these players (and coaches) will NEVER forget the 20-21 season.

I guess my holidays as a kid were less fantastic. Eat a dinner, tell a few stories an get a hug. Why go back and spend the whole time worrying about transmission in your family??:confused:

Reaction Score
Its a bit different today with Facetime & Zoom. You literally could be spending the entire Christmas with them virtually. Obviously, its not the same as being there physically, but it sure beats a 10-minute phone call from back in the dark ages.

Reaction Score
Looking at Instagram, I don’t think Williams was with the team on Christmas, but no news on anything Covid related to the team so far.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Its a bit different today with Facetime & Zoom. You literally could be spending the entire Christmas with them virtually. Obviously, its not the same as being there physically, but it sure beats a 10-minute phone call from back in the dark ages.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing!! :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts from Geno. Roll with the punches indeed. This team has excelled at that. And the comments that the chemistry is so good - this is one tight knit team. I know Evina absolutely relishes it and appreciates it all the more...

Auriemma hopes his team can settle into more of a routine once practice resumes, though he’s not sure that’s possible given the disjointed nature of the season. The Huskies’ schedule is ever-evolving, changing on a regular basis as schools juggle logistical and health concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I don’t see it getting any better,” he said. “I really don’t. Not with the way games are getting canceled. It’s just going to be a ‘stay light on your feet, be able to roll with the punches,’ and so far we’ve done tha
t.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom