A different team last nite | The Boneyard

A different team last nite

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We looked like a different team with energy and intensity. A team of energized bunnies all over the court. MD seemed to not realized what hit them. Devastation and suffocation. My early concern was will someone besides Paige score. I thought after the first qtr we shouldve been up more and knew if we kept playing the way we were playin that would eventually happen, and it did. Hey we did it to a top 20 team without Azzi and Caroline seems not up to speed yet. With Iowa and Utah loosing and UCLA Kansas and Texas coming up we have a very good chance of moving back up in the polls. Another point is we are at Mohegan Sun against NC and SC who will be playing Utah. Both should be a great games.

There was alot of talk about the NC State game. Let me say this. The other nite agains Elon Rivers was 1/5 scoring 7 pts and Brooks was 3/7 5 pts. Clearly we didnt play well and it appears after last nite it was a wakeup call because UConn looked like a different team. With that said our freshman were a great help last nite. They showed they can play at this level. We need Azzi and Caroline back to what they were. I personally have to wonder if their injuries will ever go away. Right now they havent so we have to depend on Paige to carry us until they come back healthy. The freshman picked up some of the scoring slack. "The Griff" was a rebounding machine and we will continue to need that. Our defense especially our perimeter defense was terrific. The switching and suffocating defense was terrific too. Bottom line UConn looked great and they did it with Azzi on the bench and Caroline hurting. Again we need them back and up to speed. They give us more scoring and thats something we lacked a bit last nite.

So Minny is next and I can only imagine how this high energy squad will react.. then comes the meat of the schedule with UCLA Kansas and Texas. Staying out of foul trouble will be key while playing with a high intensity on defense. Playing at this level was what we all were waiting for. We are here but still have a ways to go. Our underclassman need more experience and development, and our injured need to heal and be effective. Still in all last nite was a refresher and helped us realize we werent as bad as the NC State game.

We are a very talented team with tremendous potential. Our defense showed us how good we are and it will be tested at a very high level next weekend. Geno has this team at a very high level and I believe after listening to Nika talking to the press she as well as Paige and a few others are ready to keep their team mates at this high level. Foul trouble could hurt us however we now know we have depth that can step in and plug those holes something we lacked last season.

Im excited by the way we handled our business last nite and looking forward to Sunday in Minny which I feel could be compete domination.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As I said in the postgame thread, a switch was thrown last night. The team felt what it was like to play that way, and they'll remember what it feels like. There should be a highlight reel made for each player, which she should watch before each game for the rest of the year. Ashlynn bodying up opponents before rebounds (pretty much always does that, but I still like it); Ice "displacing" the opponent after a rough play on Aaliyah; Aubrey blocking shots and getting into passing lanes. . .

Reaction Score
Good post. I think that there are 2 primary keys going forward. First, Paige has to take ownership of the team in practice and in the games and immediately from the opening tip off on the offensive end. She gets us going. Second, the defense has to stay ratcheted up as it was last night. When you hold a team to under 30% from the field or even 35%, you are going to win.

There are many other things as you point out, a healthy Azzi and CD, staying out of foul trouble etc. I would add Aaliyah not forcing drives or plays (most of her turnovers came from those), Q not rushing shots, KK knowing when not to drive, Aubrey shooting more from the outside and others but these can work themselves out with our fingers being crossed as to CD and Azzi. The keys are Paige and the defense and last night was pure pleasure watching the best player in women's basketball in our favorite jersey.

Reaction Score
Defense was fantastic! Everyone was hustling and helping out when someone needed it. Defense let to something like 20 points which was the difference in the game. The half court offense was still very stagnant at times with a lot of standing around the 3 point line and taking some really tough shots. In the middle of the second quarter Paige took over by taking the ball at the defense and making a lot of 10-15 shots or lay ups. The rest of the team seemed to notice how well that worked and they started doing it too. Offense is a work in progress but was better than game 1 for sure.

The one area of concern was how they played AE last night. Maryland basically sagged down and took her away which gave Aubrey some opportunities but they really need to bring in another bigger player so teams can't do that to them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Defense was fantastic! Everyone was hustling and helping out when someone needed it. Defense let to something like 20 points which was the difference in the game. The half court offense was still very stagnant at times with a lot of standing around the 3 point line and taking some really tough shots. In the middle of the second quarter Paige took over by taking the ball at the defense and making a lot of 10-15 shots or lay ups. The rest of the team seemed to notice how well that worked and they started doing it too. Offense is a work in progress but was better than game 1 for sure.

The one area of concern was how they played AE last night. Maryland basically sagged down and took her away which gave Aubrey some opportunities but they really need to bring in another bigger player so teams can't do that to them.
UConn sometimes has trouble with zone defenses, and they sure did last night. Kudos to Maryland. Azzi was out, and UMD challenged UConn to beat them from outside. They executed the 2-3 very well and made Aaliyah's life miserable. I agree with others that in such a case, A and Ice should be in the game together. I miss the high-lows between Olivia and Dorka (or earlier Gabby to Pheesa or Dolson to Stewie).

Reaction Score
Good post. I think that there are 2 primary keys going forward. First, Paige has to take ownership of the team in practice and in the games and immediately from the opening tip off on the offensive end. She gets us going. Second, the defense has to stay ratcheted up as it was last night. When you hold a team to under 30% from the field or even 35%, you are going to win.

There are many other things as you point out, a healthy Azzi and CD, staying out of foul trouble etc. I would add Aaliyah not forcing drives or plays (most of her turnovers came from those), Q not rushing shots, KK knowing when not to drive, Aubrey shooting more from the outside and others but these can work themselves out with our fingers being crossed as to CD and Azzi. The keys are Paige and the defense and last night was pure pleasure watching the best player in women's basketball in our favorite jersey.
Playing high intensity D is great and wins games when done well. It is also really tiring. Fortunately we have the depth to get people in and out enough to sustain it.

As for KK needing to throttle back her inclination to drive for layups, I can't say I'm unhappy with what she is doing. We've all seen young guards, and some older ones too, barrel into the paint where there isn't room to do anything useful, and end up getting a charge, or screeching to a stop and getting double teamed leading to a tie up, steal or bad bailout pass. Nika used to do this a lot. I haven't noticed this being an issue with KK. Let her play, she's doing just fine. It would be useful if she sees the defense collapsing into or toward the paint as she is driving to kick the ball out to open shooters. If she does that enough she freeze some defenders and will have more space to operate in.

Reaction Score
Playing high intensity D is great and wins games when done well. It is also really tiring. Fortunately we have the depth to get people in and out enough to sustain it.

As for KK needing to throttle back her inclination to drive for layups, I can't say I'm unhappy with what she is doing. We've all seen young guards, and some older ones too, barrel into the paint where there isn't room to do anything useful, and end up getting a charge, or screeching to a stop and getting double teamed leading to a tie up, steal or bad bailout pass. Nika used to do this a lot. I haven't noticed this being an issue with KK. Let her play, she's doing just fine. It would be useful if she sees the defense collapsing into or toward the paint as she is driving to kick the ball out to open shooters. If she does that enough she freeze some defenders and will have more space to operate in.
Like I said, it will work itself out over time. She will become more selective and therefore, more effective and dangerous especially if she kicks as you indicate to someone at the 3 line. One play last night there were two defenders in her path and she tried to drive through them and charged. She is a heady enough player to learn from that and will. In terms of her going to the basket when there is an opening either due to a one on one or a clear path, who is quicker than her? Nobody I have seen so far.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
... Staying out of foul trouble will be key while playing with a high intensity on defense. ...

to my mind, this is the key to success for the huskies this season. it's what has always made uconn exceptional.

the offense always seems adequate, if not outstanding. but when there was an off night, the defense would come to the rescue.

last season, the severely decimated roster blunted some of that because of the exhaustion it brought and the threat of foul trouble engendered. based on what we've seen so far this season, i think the fatigue and the foul issue are defeated and defense thus can and should consistently be up to the husky standard.

there seems to be a full supply of substitutes. . . except for paige, of course.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
to my mind, this is the key to success for the huskies this season. it's what has always made uconn exceptional.

the offense always seems adequate, if not outstanding. but when there was an off night, the defense would come to the rescue.

last season, the severely decimated roster blunted some of that because of the exhaustion it brought and the threat of foul trouble engendered. based on what we've seen so far this season, i think the fatigue and the foul issue are defeated and defense thus can and should consistently be up to the husky standard.

there seems to be a full supply of substitutes. . . except for paige, of course.
AE is the one that is the hardest to substitute for. She is a four who has to play both the five and four and Ice isn't ready to give her significant rest. At least for now.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
AE is the one that is the hardest to substitute for. She is a four who has to play both the five and four and Ice isn't ready to give her significant rest. At least for now.
yeah. but she ain't a paige.

geno could find someone to sub for liya ... ice, ayanna, even amari. ... anyone

uconn still would be OK

how do replace someone like paige? invite DT back? maya?

c'mon ... you don't realize that paige really is 'generational'? i feel sorry for you, missing out on a unique experience.

Reaction Score
Getting Ayanna back, which might be soon, is going to be interesting. Will she show a more polished offensive game? Defensively, she was too eager at times and committed a lot of fouls in short time amounts. Offensively, she was kind of stiff and didn't have smooth moves. But she is aggressive and super athletic, and maybe her game will be more developed and less herky-jerky. She will be an important asset and will definitely be able to give Aaliyah some relief- at least I hope!

Reaction Score
actually we were a different team against NC State. Last night against Maryland we were who we REALLY are.
I agree. In this game the real Uconn of old showed up and played like the Uconn of old. It's there and it has to come out again and again and remain steadfast against all the rest of the teams we will play the rest of the year. The biggest game coming up that I want to see the Uconn of old, is the So. Carolina game. We always knew how to handle them before and must again. Uconn is still the team to beat going to the Final Four. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
yeah. but she ain't a paige.

geno could find someone to sub for liya ... ice, ayanna, even amari. ... anyone

uconn still would be OK

how do replace someone like paige? invite DT back? maya?

c'mon ... you don't realize that paige really is 'generational'? i feel sorry for you, missing out on a unique experience.
Having a bad day PacoSwede? Or do you seriously think there are UConn fans, or basketball fans of any persuasion anywhere, that don't know how good Paige is? I mean it's blindingly obvious isn't it? What you are missing is how invaluable AE is to her team, how hard she works and how much she contributes. Do you really think just plugging in "anyone" to replace her will do the trick? Ice? Not nearly ready. Ayanna? Has she had a single breakout game? Have you even seen her play lately? Amari? That boat has sailed I'm sorry to say. Frankly Aubrey is the closest we have to take up slack if AE went down right now and she a wing, not big. The "anyone'" that could replace AE right now does exist, just not on our roster.

And yes, I do believe that with what we have there are more options to replace Paige than to replace AE! Have a nice day dude.

Reaction Score
Like I said, it will work itself out over time. She will become more selective and therefore, more effective and dangerous especially if she kicks as you indicate to someone at the 3 line. One play last night there were two defenders in her path and she tried to drive through them and charged. She is a heady enough player to learn from that and will. In terms of her going to the basket when there is an opening either due to a one on one or a clear path, who is quicker than her? Nobody I have seen so far.
I am thrilled that UConn has KK and she could end up being very good. I won’t say anyone is quicker, but there are a number of very quick and talented guards she will bang heads with including Fulwiley from SC and the guard from UCLA who is also very fast. Those should be great matchups!

This was a nice win , but it appears that Maryland is mediocre at best and more like a good Big East team than a good Big Ten team. All teams in the country still have lots to prove,except SC IMO, including UConn , so it should be an interesting season. It’s too early to get too high or low at this point, but reasons for optimism are legitimate!

Reaction Score
I am thrilled that UConn has KK and she could end up being very good. I won’t say anyone is quicker, but there are a number of very quick and talented guards she will bang heads with including Fulwiley from SC and the guard from UCLA who is also very fast. Those should be great matchups!

This was a nice win , but it appears that Maryland is mediocre at best and more like a good Big East team than a good Big Ten team. All teams in the country still have lots to prove,except SC IMO, including UConn , so it should be an interesting season. It’s too early to get too high or low at this point, but reasons for optimism are legitimate!
I think it will be great season for women's basketball in general with several very good teams and great players as well.

Reaction Score
We looked like a different team with energy and intensity. A team of energized bunnies all over the court. MD seemed to not realized what hit them. Devastation and suffocation. My early concern was will someone besides Paige score. I thought after the first qtr we shouldve been up more and knew if we kept playing the way we were playin that would eventually happen, and it did. Hey we did it to a top 20 team without Azzi and Caroline seems not up to speed yet. With Iowa and Utah loosing and UCLA Kansas and Texas coming up we have a very good chance of moving back up in the polls. Another point is we are at Mohegan Sun against NC and SC who will be playing Utah. Both should be a great games.

There was alot of talk about the NC State game. Let me say this. The other nite agains Elon Rivers was 1/5 scoring 7 pts and Brooks was 3/7 5 pts. Clearly we didnt play well and it appears after last nite it was a wakeup call because UConn looked like a different team. With that said our freshman were a great help last nite. They showed they can play at this level. We need Azzi and Caroline back to what they were. I personally have to wonder if their injuries will ever go away. Right now they havent so we have to depend on Paige to carry us until they come back healthy. The freshman picked up some of the scoring slack. "The Griff" was a rebounding machine and we will continue to need that. Our defense especially our perimeter defense was terrific. The switching and suffocating defense was terrific too. Bottom line UConn looked great and they did it with Azzi on the bench and Caroline hurting. Again we need them back and up to speed. They give us more scoring and thats something we lacked a bit last nite.

So Minny is next and I can only imagine how this high energy squad will react.. then comes the meat of the schedule with UCLA Kansas and Texas. Staying out of foul trouble will be key while playing with a high intensity on defense. Playing at this level was what we all were waiting for. We are here but still have a ways to go. Our underclassman need more experience and development, and our injured need to heal and be effective. Still in all last nite was a refresher and helped us realize we werent as bad as the NC State game.

We are a very talented team with tremendous potential. Our defense showed us how good we are and it will be tested at a very high level next weekend. Geno has this team at a very high level and I believe after listening to Nika talking to the press she as well as Paige and a few others are ready to keep their team mates at this high level. Foul trouble could hurt us however we now know we have depth that can step in and plug those holes something we lacked last season.

Im excited by the way we handled our business last nite and looking forward to Sunday in Minny which I feel could be compete domination.
I think we have to start planning on not getting meaningful contributions from either AZZI of Carolina. That AZZI's knee "barked" , and has swollen up, suggests nothing good. There was no major trauma involved in this injury. To me, it sounds like a core weakness has surfaced from now three knee surgeries ( two in HS ). At some point, the body just says, " enough." I hope I am wrong, but I think we are in for another season of asking, " how is Azzi doing?" every three days. As for Caroline, that ice bag says to me she is having headaches still. And maybe other symptoms. I don't think she should be playing. In the best interest of her long-term health. We'll see.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some interesting scores UCLA @ home beats Princeton by 3 and Betts goes 9/9. FLA State beat FLA by 4.

Reaction Score
I think what’s keeping Aaliyah down is the double teams, and this is happening for two reasons.
1) our perimeter game hasn’t really hit its stride yet. Once it does, it will be a lot harder for teams to pack the paint against her.
2) she’s receiving the ball when the double team is already in place. Obviously, she should kick it back out if she sees this. But the guards should also be cautious about getting her the ball in such situations. They can see the defense about to collapse on her better than she can.

Reaction Score
Rewatching the MD game and noticed at the 3:25 mark in the 2nd quarter that Paige was running the huddle just like Nika would. It was after Ashlynn’s layup before she shot the and-one. This may be one thing that’s different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom