A Different Take on the Portal | The Boneyard

A Different Take on the Portal

Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about how the portal has changed the landscape of WCBB. Transfers impact the existing roster, particularly the younger class of freshmen and sophomores, who maybe haven't yet found a more prominent role. Add in NIL opportunities, and accurately forecasting a team's prospects for the upcoming season hinges on additions, subtractions and team chemistry.

In a particular note, I think Stanford may prosper next season based on the number of subtractions to its roster. Yes, the squad is losing a bevy of players and size, but it may be a blessing in disguise. This past season, Stanford might have had too many moving parts. With the exceptions of Brink, Jones and Jump, playing time shifted for the remaining players on a game-by-game basis. Rather than dictate terms to their opponents and playing to their strengths, Tara appeared to be playing mad scientist with her substitution patterns.

Of the returning players, I think Brink and Iriafen will benefit the most from increased playing time. Iriafen shouldn't have to worry about getting the quick pull because who is going to replace her? A potential lineup of Brink, Iriafen, Demetre, Jump and whoever gets the nod at point will be an imposing team. A front line of 6'4, 6'3, and 6'3 with a 6'0 shooting guard gives Stanford plenty of size. With Haley Jones gone, Brink is clearly the number one option. As such, maybe she'll get the Boston treatment from the refs, and not get tacked with inconsequential fouls. If that is the case, I see her putting up 20/10 numbers, and possibly leading the country in blocked shots.

It will be a different Stanford from recent seasons without a seemingly unending bench, but I think they are still in the upper tier of teams vying for a NC next season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree to a degree, especially with your analysis of Stanford. Coaches (Geno in particular) pre-portal preferred a 10-12 player roster. It is really hard to employ and keep happy 15 players who all want playing time - it is not unusual to have one or two happy campers at the end of the bench that like the comradery and are happy getting a free education, but mostly players want to play. It is also hard to actually coach 15 players and focus individually one each one's progress while developing a top flight team. You need to keep the top end of the roster playing together and developing chemistry and stamina in actual games, and nurturing the next few as well. USA basketball with a 12 player roster usually has two 'break glass in case of emergency' players on the squad, and only ten players at most that see time in competitive games.

For top teams the portal (and before that transfers) are best employed to fill a specific and limited hole in a roster that comes about by injury, recruiting miss, or transfer out. Acting like a kid in a candy store and grabbing anything passing is likely to cause as many problems as it solves. Dawn for all her successes with portal/transfers has also had good recruits transfer out because of her transfers in. So it is a really delicate balance.

Where the portal is a godsend is for new coaches/coaches on new teams - then it is a superstore shortcut for recruiting. Kim has proven it effective, but I suspect she may be content with her team and current recruits at this point, and would be surprised if she signed more than one player out of the portal. Is she going to take a guard over incoming freshman Williams or a post over incoming Del Rosario? She might be tempted, but it is a delicate balance.

sun

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Transfers in the portal can be good or bad for a team. Obviously you don't want to lose your key players, but if a player doesn't appear to have a bright future with your team, it is probably a good thing if they leave, both for their new team and the one they left. The existing team frees up a roster spot that they could improve on with a recruit or their own incoming transfer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Transfers in the portal can be good or bad for a team. Obviously you don't want to lose your key players, but if a player doesn't appear to have a bright future with your team, it is probably a good thing if they leave, both for their new team and the one they left. The existing team frees up a roster spot that they could improve on with a recruit or their own incoming transfer.
Agree, and the problem comes for both player and coach, when there is impatience when a player is on a good trajectory on their current team. Most freshman shouldn't be starting on really good teams because there are better/more experienced players already on the team and that is not necessarily easy for a top recruit (and her family and friends) to accept. The coaching process has to be important to the player, because there will always be teams where they could start immediately. And the development process needs to be clearly defined and communicated by the coach to mitigate the frustration or not starting. (I think that communication is where the Uconn staff excels.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think good coaches can manage the portal. It's the phoneys who will have a problem.

sun

Reaction Score
At the 2022 FF, Geno said,
“I don’t care if they leave. Players leave all the time. Coaches leave all the time. That’s life.”

Reaction Score
I love this quote from Geno:

“I’ve never had a really good player leave my program, in 37 years, that left and made it big at a top 10 or top 20 school,” Auriemma said. ““That just isn’t going to happen. If you can’t play for me, if you can’t play for us at UConn, you can’t play anywhere at this level. I let these guys be who they are. I just have certain demands on the court, and they have to meet them or they don’t play. They know. I’m fair. If nothing, I’m fair”

Reaction Score
The one word I have for the Transfer Portal, is "sad." In the past, if a player had any issue, by knowing they would be in place for several years, they were motivated to solve it. Now many just transfer. Solving problems is a life skill that can't be overrated.

Reaction Score
The one word I have for the Transfer Portal, is "sad." In the past, if a player had any issue, by knowing they would be in place for several years, they were motivated to solve it. Now many just transfer. Solving problems is a life skill that can't be overrated.

This isn't entirely true. From stories I've read about Syracuse, Fordham, Detroit Mercy, Northern Kentucky, etc., players ended up tolerating it for various reasons, primarily fear of the coach and reprisals for speaking up.

Sometimes leaving is the life skill needed because some problems can't be fixed. Staying in a situation that isn't conducive or not showing signs of improvement does more harm than good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is like skyrocketing divorce rates when most obstacles were removed - people take the off ramp at the first sign of trouble. At the same time, people make mistakes and 17 yr olds aren't exactly great at making life decisions - it is hard to justify locking someone into their choice when it may be a personal disaster. And I certainly don't want the NCAA making decisions through their waiver process - that was also a disaster.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This isn't entirely true. From stories I've read about Syracuse, Fordham, Detroit Mercy, Northern Kentucky, etc., players ended up tolerating it for various reasons, primarily fear of the coach and reprisals for speaking up.

Sometimes leaving is the life skill needed because some problems can't be fixed. Staying in a situation that isn't conducive or not showing signs of improvement does more harm than good.
The old stories that leaked out about Seton Hall were frightening - a long time ago, but ...

Reaction Score
Like it or not it is here. I would caution the great programs to stay clear of the portal or they may take what they have which is great players and end up a mess. At UCONN Geno has a pretty tight rein and I don't think many coming in that have experienced other places would like the demands. Either way I hope UCONN stays true to those who have been recruited and build home grown champions.

Reaction Score
Like it or not it is here. I would caution the great programs to stay clear of the portal or they may take what they have which is great players and end up a mess. At UCONN Geno has a pretty tight rein and I don't think many coming in that have experienced other places would like the demands. Either way I hope UCONN stays true to those who have been recruited and build home grown champions.

Maybe with the exception of Stanford, all of the top programs have utilized the portal to some extent and have had varying degrees of success. It's easy to say stay away but in reality, it's necessary sometimes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't agree. Leaving for a place where your talents are more appreciated is problem solving.

Reaction Score
I understand your desire, but many times those who have been recruited (based on play as high schoolers) just don't measure up at this level. As with most everything in life, things change and in sports in order to win you must change with it. NIL and the transfer portal are what's happening today, tomorrow and for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
If flexibility is a good thing in life it works in basketball as well. The portal provides that and a wildcard for all parties. I agree that the package, that most teenagers are, make a four-year commitment difficult whether joining the military or college.

It's not all about basketball, it's making the right decision. The one year sit-out didn't work. It was totally unfair for such a young age. Most companies have a three month probation period.

Reaction Score
I agree to a degree, especially with your analysis of Stanford. Coaches (Geno in particular) pre-portal preferred a 10-12 player roster. It is really hard to employ and keep happy 15 players who all want playing time - it is not unusual to have one or two happy campers at the end of the bench that like the comradery and are happy getting a free education, but mostly players want to play. It is also hard to actually coach 15 players and focus individually one each one's progress while developing a top flight team. You need to keep the top end of the roster playing together and developing chemistry and stamina in actual games, and nurturing the next few as well. USA basketball with a 12 player roster usually has two 'break glass in case of emergency' players on the squad, and only ten players at most that see time in competitive games.

For top teams the portal (and before that transfers) are best employed to fill a specific and limited hole in a roster that comes about by injury, recruiting miss, or transfer out. Acting like a kid in a candy store and grabbing anything passing is likely to cause as many problems as it solves. Dawn for all her successes with portal/transfers has also had good recruits transfer out because of her transfers in. So it is a really delicate balance.

Where the portal is a godsend is for new coaches/coaches on new teams - then it is a superstore shortcut for recruiting. Kim has proven it effective, but I suspect she may be content with her team and current recruits at this point, and would be surprised if she signed more than one player out of the portal. Is she going to take a guard over incoming freshman Williams or a post over incoming Del Rosario? She might be tempted, but it is a delicate balance.
When does the portal close? There must be a point in time where players can no longer enter their names.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The old stories that leaked out about Seton Hall were frightening - a long time ago, but ...
What were they?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If flexibility is a good thing in life it works in basketball as well. The portal provides that and a wildcard for all parties. I agree that the package, that most teenagers are, make a four-year commitment difficult whether joining the military or college.

It's not all about basketball, it's making the right decision. The one year sit-out didn't work. It was totally unfair for such a young age. Most companies have a three month probation period.
Years ago, my boss' manager wanted to hire me for her team. There were three positions open: A) which I had no desire or experience, B) interesting but no experience, and C) not as interesting but seemed to be the best fit. I went for C. Six months in, I was barely treading water, and by the one year mark, my new manager (who had incredible faith in me), made some changes on the team and I went to job B, as the person who took job B wasn't a good fit either. For the following eight years in job B, I had a blast, found my niche, sharpened my skills. The decision to enter the portal is a lil similar to my experience as players make decisions that seem good, then in experiencing them, not so much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think people have somewhat forgotten the actual reason for college educations and the hardship of going into debt to attain one. Getting any full ride scholarship to a school is a real privilege. And monetarily it is in the range of the median annual income of an adult in the US each year. (In state at state schools is around half that.) And while there is a ton of money flowing into college athletics now, the actual cost to the universities of maintaining a top D1 athletics program are huge. Most athletic departments are not a revenue stream for their universities but a cost that is justified by 'brand enhancement' and improved alumni donations. And that is especially true for the expenses of women's athletic programs that still do not generate the revenue of college football or MCBB.

The idea that a 'sit out year' was some draconian penalty, when an athlete was being 'paid' the same 'wage' for that year, i.e. free education room and board and stipend, seems a little overstated. Comparing it to the real world employment landscape ... it is like someone quitting their job, finding a new job and being told you really don't need to do anything except practice for the first year, then we will actually put you to work, but don't worry you get full pay and full benefits during the year.

Out of the 1000+/- WCBB graduates this year, 33 (3 foreign players) just got drafted and maybe another dozen get invited to training camps. Of those 45+/- graduates to actually make a training camp, maybe a third (15) actually make a team. The other 985 WCBB graduates are going to be scrambling for a job or continuing their education, and some will head to foreign shores hoping to scrape a subsistence living off their basketball skills. A player like Dorka also has in hand (I assume) a masters degree so her prospects if she does not stick to basketball are already better than most.

For those 900+ WCBB graduates continuing the basketball dream, they stand out from the rest of their contemporaries because they (and their families) have no college debt. That is worth quite a lot, and if they made a bad first choice, and transferred under the old rules and sat out their year, they might also have a step up on an advance degree. And that is true for every other college sport - as that old promo went - the vast majority of college athletes are going 'pro' in some other field.

We are in a new era with the portal and a single 'free transfer' and I am fine with that. But people are now complaining about how 'draconian' the restrictions on a second undergraduate transfer are. I say choices have consequences and if you screw up twice making the same decision, maybe you need to sit in the corner with a 'time out' and contemplate your decision making process while still being 'paid.'

Sorry for the length and the rant.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I say choices have consequences and if you screw up twice making the same decision, maybe you need to sit in the corner with a 'time out' and contemplate your decision making process while still being 'paid.'
"Sit in the corner with a time-out"? Talk about a lack of respect for the student-athlete.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Sit in the corner with a time-out"? Talk about a lack of respect for the student-athlete.
Not a lack of respect for D1 athletes, but if your first decision isn't good, and you get a do over, and make another bad decision, don't complain that you don't get a 'free' third try.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom