A different take on the numbers. | The Boneyard

A different take on the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I looked at each and every passing play run yesterday and came up with some interesting numbers. If all you care about is the official boxscore you can read the first line then close this tab or just switch to a different thread that mindlessly bashes everyone and everything. If you feel a little context yields a more accurate picture of where we are at and what we have to work with then here goes.

The Boxscore: 15/43 149 yards 10 points scored

My Boxscore with all attempts: 15/45 154 yards 10 points scored

Drops – 7 for 112 yards 22/45 266 yards add 18 pts (21–FG) = 28 pts

Catchable Balls – 3 for 74 yds 25/45 340 yards ? points min 28 pts

Additional receptions did not include yards after catches or missed tackles.
Of the 20 remaining incompletions, 8 were due to pressured releases or coverage throwaways.
Finally the end was a pressure situation where we became one-dimensional playing from behind when we should have been comfortably ahead.

My conclusion has not changed much from my initial take on the game. We should have scored at least 28 points plus a missed FG and cruised to a win. We got a good performance out of our new QB and what I thought were drops were definitely drops plus at least one or two. He’s got room for improvement but certainly he was let down and played well enough to win.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great post Jimdish. It seems like we sure have found the losing formula this season, huh? All season, the WR group were probably the most consistent on a game-to-game basis. Yesterday, they let the team down big time. Parker's drop in the end zone was probably the worst. Hit him right in the hands. If the receivers help out their FR QB yesterday, UCONN wins easily. Just seems like when one unit plays well, another one doesn't and it hurts our chances to win.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let me pre-empt the boo-birds by saying that you should have also included about 3 or 4 drops from the USF defensive side that were near-guaranteed picks.

But I think the take home message is this: He played well enough to win if the team didn't make some of those mistakes (including a sack-fumble that we couldn't recover and they brought back for 7). Was he better than Whitmer yesterday? If I'm being honest, I don't believe so. He threw some fireballs in instances where he needed touch, and he threw over the wrong shoulder a couple of times. Late game time management issue too. But do I believe that he can be better than Whitmer? If I'm being honest, absolutely. He seems to have a better pocket presence and can pick up yards with his feet. Good arm strength (obviously), and goes through his progressions a little better.

All in all, a good performance from a freshman quarterback with a lot of upside...

Reaction Score
Great post Jimdish. It seems like we sure have found the losing formula this season, huh? All season, the WR group were probably the most consistent on a game-to-game basis. Yesterday, they let the team down big time. Parker's drop in the end zone was probably the worst. Hit him right in the hands. If the receivers help out their FR QB yesterday, UCONN wins easily. Just seems like when one unit plays well, another one doesn't and it hurts our chances to win.

Had to edit a bit, but I watched every play in detail and slow-mo. Gave a couple of touches as incompletions too. Tried to be fair but that's how it came out.

Reaction Score
Let me pre-empt the boo-birds by saying that you should have also included about 3 or 4 drops from the USF defensive side that were near-guaranteed picks.

But I think the take home message is this: He played well enough to win if the team didn't make some of those mistakes (including a sack-fumble that we couldn't recover and they brought back for 7). Was he better than Whitmer yesterday? If I'm being honest, I don't believe so. He threw some fireballs in instances where he needed touch, and he threw over the wrong shoulder a couple of times. Late game time management issue too. But do I believe that he can be better than Whitmer? If I'm being honest, absolutely. He seems to have a better pocket presence and can pick up yards with his feet. Good arm strength (obviously), and goes through his progressions a little better.

All in all, a good performance from a freshman quarterback with a lot of upside...

Agree on the possible picks. Made a mental note but given the circumstances they would not have changed the outcome if we just eliminated the obvious drops. We also needed to fall on a fumble to probably negate what were not guaranteed turnover points. But they did drop a sure TD in the end zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom