A couple of UConn mentions: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A couple of UConn mentions:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm more comfortable believing Warde got outworked by Jurich, than who is governor of CT impacting a P5 invite. Malloy has been REAL good to UConn, regardless of what anyone thinks of the job he is doing as governor. The lawsuit? On top of what Whaler said, whats done is done and can't be undone.

Reaction Score
LOL Whaler - you can't see the forest for the trees. Nobody gives a crap that anyone else was involved in the lawsuits. Why would that be?

#1. Dick Blumenthal filed lawsuits on behalf of the residents of the state of CT that personally named multiple individuals - not universities, or corporations, for personal damages to UCONN. Arrogance or stupidity? Both I say. No other major situation that involved lawsuits both before and after, and there have been MANY - involving intercollegiate athletics - has ever done that. Schools suing each other and conferences? Happens a lot - not State attorney generals personally suing individuals.

The lawsuit was initiated - as Blumenthal stated - with the support of the other university presidents from the other schools you mention. You ever been involved in anything like this whaler? you think that people don't talk behind other people's backs? UCONN leadership had their thumbs up each other's azzez and on our high horses because basketball was so big in CT, and the Big East conference was growing a huge bubble. The Villanova upgrade proposal was the biggest farce of it all. Every single school leadership that was pissed off in 2001 with Miami and got behind Dick's lawsuit, was talking behind our backs and improving relationships, and saw straight through that Villanova and TCU nonsense. I did too, but nobody believed me when I wrote about it on the other website. When Villanova finally came to the table with that junk proposal after dragging feet for over a year in late spring - by September, PItt and Syracuse were gone, and WVU paid their way out. We still had a chance, but got hung up with a leadership transition change that wasn't fully aware of what was going on.

Reaction Score
I'm more comfortable believing Warde got outworked by Jurich, than who is governor of CT impacting a P5 invite. Malloy has been REAL good to UConn, regardless of what anyone thinks of the job he is doing as governor. The lawsuit? On top of what Whaler said, whats done is done and can't be undone.

Had Warde had any significant amount of time to get a grip on what really was happening around the tectonic shift at the time and our place on it, I still think Jurich probably would have outmaneuvered him, simply because he had about 15 years of trying to get Louisville out of the same position we are in now (having been a member, then out, and trying to get back in)

He would have put a better fight though, than attending a women's hoops tournament in the Bahamas while Jurich was working the phones.

What's done is done, but it certainly can be undone. Exhibit - every other school in the lawsuit that sued.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL Whaler - you can't see the forest for the trees. Nobody gives a crap that anyone else was involved in the lawsuits. Why would that be?

#1. Dick Blumenthal filed lawsuits on behalf of the residents of the state of CT that personally named multiple individuals - not universities, or corporations, for personal damages to UCONN. Arrogance or stupidity? Both I say. No other major situation that involved lawsuits both before and after, and there have been MANY - involving intercollegiate athletics - has ever done that. Schools suing each other and conferences? Happens a lot - not State attorney generals personally suing individuals.

The lawsuit was initiated - as Blumenthal stated - with the support of the other university presidents from the other schools you mention. You ever been involved in anything like this whaler? you think that people don't talk behind other people's backs? UCONN leadership had their thumbs up each other's azzez and on our high horses because basketball was so big in CT, and the Big East conference was growing a huge bubble. The Villanova upgrade proposal was the biggest farce of it all. Every single school leadership that was pissed off in 2001 with Miami and got behind Dick's lawsuit, was talking behind our backs and improving relationships, and saw straight through that Villanova and TCU nonsense. I did too, but nobody believed me when I wrote about it on the other website. When Villanova finally came to the table with that junk proposal after dragging feet for over a year in late spring - by September, PItt and Syracuse were gone, and WVU paid their way out. We still had a chance, but got hung up with a leadership transition change that wasn't fully aware of what was going on.

I'll grant you the lawsuit was more idiotic than what you are trying to propose here, but it's still pretty close.

Yes, the schools and conferences aren't going to look out for their best interests because Dick Blumenthal is in the Senate. They saw past their personal feelings for every other school and UConn is in Hockey East - but the Big 10 and Big 12 perceptions are warped by his presence.

Reaction Score
The University of Pittsburgh sued all the same people. They are in the ACC.

Rutgers University sued all the same people. The Big Ten found their way past that.

West Virginia University sued all the same people. They are a member of the Big XII.

Somehow only Tricky Dick impacts decisions to this day. Amazing.

it was a Richard Blumenthal/CT lawsuit, even though those other schools were involved. Thier AGs were not prominent in it. Ours was.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
it was a Richard Blumenthal/CT lawsuit, even though those other schools were involved. Thier AGs were not prominent in it. Ours was.
It was actually Blumenthal acting at the behest of the CT governor, John Rowland. Do we get any relief now that he's headed to prison? Again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I get it. It isn't fair and people want someone to blame. He's easy because he's a slimy scumbag.

It doesn't even pass a smell test - the last time they got passed over it was because of the wishes of schools who couldn't pick the man out of a lineup.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Saw on the bleacher report and maybe I'm repeating old news but they listed all the possible candidates for Big12 pros and cons ,gotta say Uconn looked pretty damn good even though the conference is half way across the universe,now I'll lay down so everyone can jump on me! Lol

Reaction Score
This thread and every single one like it.

Homer+Facepalm.jpg

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I just started laughing out loud...at work...and it lasted awhile. It was more of a " I have finally cracked" laugh but whatever...
Please lord...please...let the gridiron team go 6-6...win the Joe's Beach Bowl and get us out of this mess.
I know....I didn't take my meds....crazy thinking.

Reaction Score
It was a Richard Blumenthal/CT Lawsuit, even though those other schools were involved. Their AGs were not prominent in it. Ours was.

This.
The perception among many ACC schools and the influential voices within them was that "Connecticut sued us". This was the stone cold impression Jim Boeheim got at his first ACC meeting, which he later mentioned to a golfing buddy who I know very well. Boeheim was actually quite surprised at the level of vitriol expressed towards UConn because of the "lawsuit" and although he had always thought UConn would be natural fit, he mentioned to my buddy that based on the reactions he was hearing from those in the fold he didn't think UConn would ever get an invite.
Time goes by and personalities can evolve but we've had a self-inflicted burden to overcome that several other ACC expansion candidates didn't.

Reaction Score
This.
The perception among many ACC schools and the influential voices within them was that "Connecticut sued us". This was the stone cold impression Jim Boeheim got at his first ACC meeting, which he later mentioned to a golfing buddy who I know very well. Boeheim was actually quite surprised at the level of vitriol expressed towards UConn because of the "lawsuit" and although he had always thought UConn would be natural fit, he mentioned to my buddy that based on the reactions he was hearing from those in the fold he didn't think UConn would ever get an invite.
Time goes by and personalities can evolve but we've had a self-inflicted burden to overcome that several other ACC expansion candidates didn't.

Relationships and perceptions among people in position to make committee vote decisions. Kind of important, I think. My premise is that should a person like Susan Herbst, or Warde Manuel, or Bob Diaco be in position to talk to fellow coaches, AD's, President's and especially conference commisioners and support staff, especially those that were personally named in suits (and whaler is wrong, they're still all active in college athletics) or those prople affiliated with thrm in the future, and be able to drop in passing the talking point of, "Hey, did you see we finally got rid of that clown Blumenthal from office? What a pud." That kind of thing would go far in ways that bean counters don't understand in human dynamics.

Or in Ollie's case, "hey, did you see we finally got rid of that Malloy clown? Miss the final four, what a pud."

The caveat, is that these things can't be said, or thoughts conveyed while still in office. If Susan or Warde or Kevin is asked if they support Blumenthsl or Malloy,while still in office, they would be stupid to not fall in line.

So, I hope the next election works out well for UCONN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Relationships and perceptions among people in position to make committee vote decisions. Kind of important, I think. My premise is that should a person like Susan Herbst, or Warde Manuel, or Bob Diaco be in position to talk to fellow coaches, AD's, President's and especially conference commisioners and support staff, especially those that were personally named in suits (and whaler is wrong, they're still all active in college athletics) or those prople affiliated with thrm in the future, and be able to drop in passing the talking point of, "Hey, did you see we finally got rid of that clown Blumenthal from office? What a pud." That kind of thing would go far in ways that bean counters don't understand in human dynamics.

Or in Ollie's case, "hey, did you see we finally got rid of that Malloy clown? Miss the final four, what a pud."

The caveat, is that these things can't be said, or thoughts conveyed while still in office. If Susan or Warde or Kevin is asked if they support Blumenthsl or Malloy,while still in office, they would be stupid to not fall in line.

Yes Carl only you understand the importance of relationships.

Yes, I'm sure many decision makers in conference realignment think the Governor who is helping to pour billions into the University is a pud.

I'm not the most popular guy around here and even I can get a dozen likes by pointing out how crazy this is.

Reaction Score
Yes Carl only you understand the importance of relationships.

Yes, I'm sure many decision makers in conference realignment think the Governor who is helping to pour billions into the University is a pud.

I'm not the most popular guy around here and even I can get a dozen likes by pointing out how crazy this is.

LOLOL. So predictable whaler, so predictable. Well - it's been fun.

Kickoff in 8 weeks. See you there.

C

Chief00

Susan did her own alienating of former Big East schools including Pitt and ND when she became Prez. It's deeper than just Blumenthal.

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:
I'm not going to justify this with any sort of explanation other than it's just my opinion, but I think that if Dick Blumenthal were not to be re-elected as a U.S. Senator - and we were not to re-elect the clown Malloy, the opinion of what UCONN is among many of the old coots and cooters that make such decisions that influence the position of the University of Connecticut in the national landscape with regards to both academic and athletic affiliations and status, would be swayed much differently in our favor than they are now.
You sure it isn't Obama's fault?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We all know that our old AG didn't help us, but it was BC who screwed us the most. They wanted New England to themselves and made sure UCONN didn't come for the ride when Syracuse went to the ACC and took Pitt instead.

Reaction Score
Bad blood can last an eternity. I just hate that dude because he's a . Spoke at my high school graduation and was one of the most pompous, arrogant SOBs I have ever heard. I'm sure that I'm not alone in my opinion of him. But no, I don't think he's the sole reason why UConn is where it is. But I also don't think that he has had nothing to do it with it either.

spoke at my high school graduation as well in 94. he could have been the worst public speaker I have ever seen

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
spoke at my high school graduation as well in 94. he could have been the worst public speaker I have ever seen

He must've made the high school graduation speech circuits in 94 because that's the year I graduated. Unless you went to my high school. If that's the case, let the Eagles soar!

Reaction Score
No offense but that theory is insane.

whaler11 - absolutely.

As much as you hate Blumenthal. Malloy. Weicker. Ella Grasso.

There's a simple think that you cannot get past: we are not the football pedigree that fit what people picking wanted at various moments. WE can be something going forward. Just need to keep pushing. There is nothing anybody could have done differently that would have edged us past BC in 2003. Syracuse, Pitt or Rutgers in 2011. Louisville in 2012.

Having said that, I believe we are the best fit for the B1G (more than that NJ choice).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is there a timer that goes off every few months that reminds us to revisit this?
It's the same timer that goes off to revisit all the players we could have had but passed on and now are studs. (See Tyler M., Temple thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom