A couple of post-game thoughts | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A couple of post-game thoughts

Reaction Score
I agree on Megan’s performance. Her rebounding & defense was solid. She hit a couple nice jumpers from the foul line (Gabby’s spot) and dished out a couple nice passes.

The one area Megan can improve is to finish stronger at the basket. When I lived in VA, I had the opportunity to watch Megan play several times in HS. She would drive to the basket like a freight train. That’s what I’m looking forward to seeing again at UConn.
Small point that may make a difference in big games. Now that MW is starter, best defenders will be assigned to Lou and others. Suspect once Megan gets her confidence down a bit more, her one on one skills will shine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last year's impression was that Coombs was very predictable and will try to drive 99% of the time. Would have thought an exhibition game perfect time to show new skills. No outside shot will limit her ability to contribute in big games.

She drove most of the time because she is potentially very good at it but also as having some strange mechanical issues with her shooting form. I do not think that has changed.Part of it I guess was her medical issues but to get any meaningful playing time, she will need to have a decent jump shot (at least mid range).

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I'll add my two cents, bearing in mind, of course, that it's only one scrimmage.

Christyn Williams:
Like everyone else, for the most part, I am very pleased with the effort, confidence and skill set both on offense and defense by the rookie, who looked just as comfortable out there as Napheesa or Katie Lou yesterday. If she keeps this up she may surpass even Megan Walker and take ownership of this team in the next few years

Olivia Nelson-Ododa:
What I like so far is how well she moves up and down the court, her ability to alter and challenge shots on the defensive end, and of course, rebound the ball... Definitely, need to get physically stronger in order to be the impact player we would love for her to become at Storrs. This is basically her year to go under the radar and could easily average close to 10 points a game and about 5-7 rebounds, because next year it will be more difficult for her with Napheesa gone as she will become the main focus down low.

Megan Walker:
Started the game off solidly, but if I'm being honest, I expected to see more from this young lady, Missed a couple shots close to the rim that should have been and one's. Bottom line, I want to see her demand the ball and dominate stages of the game, all within the team's offense, of course. But it is still early. Also, is it just me, or does Megan seem a tad bit slower this year? Her first shot barely had any lift in her legs, I don't remember that being the case last year.

Mikayla Coombs:
A little out of control at times, reminds me of when Moriah Jefferson was struggling to control her speed, should really use that to her advantage on the defensive end, when on the court or in transition. Currently lacking confidence.

Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing anyone's shots go in and out as much as MW's do...I don't know if it's the spin on her shot but it seems to happen at least a couple of times every game....
It's lack of arc. She puts more air under it on foul shots with better results. Just needs to learn to shoot OVER the front rim, not AT it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ONO has a lot of work to do in the weight room. Got pushed around and lost her foot position quite a few times. Starting five were poetry in motion but sit them down and all continuity is gone. We’ll know a lot more after Ohio State but right now it’s six deep.

That is true. Posters here have been predicting this all summer. We all know that she is not as far along as Christyn, but she'll get there. She's a work in progress, one I'm thrilled to have. During the recruiting period, ONO and Williams were the two recruits I desperately wanted. I'm happy very we got them both.

Give ONO the time she needs to develop. She'll gain weight as time goes on by adding muscle, and she'll get her "seas legs", but it's not going to happen over night. It may take a full season (like it did with Megan). She may not bloom until this time next year, but she will blossom.
All things in time. You can't cook a 1 minute egg in 40 seconds and expect it to come out as expected/preferred. :confused: I expect ONO to look like an AA in a game or two this season, as Megan did last year.

She's in good hands. The staff and trainers know exactly how to bring her along from where she is, to where she needs to be. This was one game. With each game, she's going to learn and become acclimated to life in D1 basketball. Don't expect her to remind you of Stewie in a week or two. :eek:

Let's see how see looks at the end of January. OJT and baptism under fire are the fastest ways learn something and be indoctrinated into the fray. Not to worry, ONO is a very intelligent young lady who learns fast. I know we need her now, but thats not going to make her learn any faster.
Remember, she'll be playing against players that are more experienced at this level of play than she is (and it's going to show), but she will catch up. ;)

One of these games she's going to get bounced around pretty good and "used" by an experienced BIG. That experience will aid (and quicken) her growth and development. A little patience, she'll "get it". She'll be fine. :cool:

I remember Stewie "schooling" A'ja Wilson her freshman year. Stewie used her, and made her look like the freshman she was. A'ja couldn't do anything to stop or slow her down. All she could do was foul her, which she did. But A'ja learned, and got better. Look how she turned out. A NC and the first overall pick in the WNBA draft. Have faith in Geno and his staff. ONO will be fine.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. ONO took her first step yesterday. :)

In case you forgot, here's a recap of A'ja's college and WNBA career so far...............

1541440275501.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Early impressions. If I needed a rebound to win a game, would go with Ono versus Irwin every time. Her quickness lets her get position and she has the long arms, height, and jumping ability to win many battles. She may not have the weight but will be able to outjump most competition once more experience enables her to get to her spot.
Good words about a nice freshman. I have started 3 seasons now hoping, a tiny prayer, that Irwin, Bent would jump up and make a splash. You are right about Olivia. But the season is very very very young and we have at least 5 more games (2 or 3 in st Thomas) before any of us have seen enough to say: she's a star or she's a dud, as you indicate in your first 2 words.

This like Geno's and Christines 35th Rodeo (don't hold me to that exact number) they know the limitations of kids like Oliva and others. Christine has been educating Post players yo these many years and she shall drill ONO on what any big decent center/post shall do to our young, energetic, jumping machine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is true. Posters here have been predicting this all summer. We all know that she is not as far along as Christyn, but she'll get there. She's a work in progress, one I'm thrilled to have. During the recruiting period, ONO and Williams were the two recruits I desperately wanted. I'm happy very we got them both.

Give ONO the time she needs to develop. She'll gain weight as time goes on by adding muscle, and she'll get her "seas legs", but it's not going to happen over night. It may take a full season (like it did with Megan). She may not bloom until this time next year, but she will blossom.
All things in time. You can't cook a 1 minute egg in 40 seconds and expect it to come out as expected/preferred. :confused: I expect ONO to look like an AA in a game or two this season, as Megan did last year.

She's in good hands. The staff and trainers know exactly how to bring her along from where she is, to where she needs to be. This was one game. With each game, she's going to learn and become acclimated to life in D1 basketball. Don't expect her to remind you of Stewie in a week or two. :eek:

Let's see how see looks at the end of January. OJT and baptism under fire are the fastest ways learn something and be indoctrinated into the fray. Not to worry, ONO is a very intelligent young lady who learns fast. I know we need her now, but thats not going to make her learn any faster.
Remember, she'll be playing against players that are more experienced at this level of play than she is (and it's going to show), but she will catch up. ;)

One of these games she's going to get bounced around pretty good and "used" by an experienced BIG. That experience will aid (and quicken) her growth and development. A little patience, she'll "get it". She'll be fine. :cool:

I remember Stewie "schooling" A'ja Wilson her freshman year. Stewie used her, and made her look like the freshman she was. A'ja couldn't do anything to stop or slow her down. All she could do was foul her, which she did. But A'ja learned, and got better. Look how she turned out. A NC and the first overall pick in the WNBA draft. Have faith in Geno and his staff. ONO will be fine.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. ONO took her first step yesterday. :)

In case you forgot, here's a recap of A'ja's college and WNBA career so far.....

View attachment 35971
As a Frosh, after her first 8 games, Stewie too was "used" by many until the NCAA tourney.
Some people use "weight" when they mean "bulk/size" muscle will add some weight but not nearly as much as "fat". I agree she will bulk up. Stewie is a prime example of a Frosh some gave up on after a great start. Some of these kids need time to acclimate to the pace, physicality, and speed of play with a Geno team. I'm impress with both the new kids, and a couple of the Sophs--again, we shall see.

Reaction Score
In a quick review of all these comments ( enthusiastic response to the return of Uconn Lady Huskies BB), there is not a single mention of Lexi Gordon. Is she going to again be invisible? Does she exist? Why does she never get noticed? I want her to become a star.

Reaction Score
Sounds like CW will be an all american this year from her exhibition performance
Well, we’re saying Vanguard was no competition, but they could probably beat some of the AAC teams CW will have the opportunity to fatten up her stats on.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Well, we’re saying Vanguard was no competition, but they could probably beat some of the AAC teams CW will have the opportunity to fatten up her stats on.

Not trying to be contrary but all the top teams "fatten up" on the lesser lights of their OOC schedule. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In 6 minutes of playing time Batouly scored 6 points and had three boards and a block.

Perhaps this is a case of the stats being better than the performance, but I still have hope
that she can make significant contributions this season.
I noticed the same stats. I think BatCam needs to get some more minutes and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Well Vanguard outscored UConn's second team. He would probably mention that.
Didn't get much info regarding game other than these posts. If UConn won 93-30 and the UConn 2nd team lost, what was the score for the starters?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Didn't get much info regarding game other than these posts. If UConn won 93-30 and the UConn 2nd team lost, what was the score for the starters?
We were outscored 15-9 in the 4th quarter. Pretty sad bench play . :(Head bang

Reaction Score
We were outscored 15-9 in the 4th quarter. Pretty sad bench play . :(Head bang
I'm not sure everyone is being really fair to the end of our bench. I have a sneaking suspicion that our players in the final quarter were told to use the full clock before shooting, not to fast break, not to gamble for steals and generally not to show up the other team. If you keep those restrictions in mind, their play looks a bit less sub-standard.

Reaction Score
Well the game started out 22-0, if that gives you some idea...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure everyone is being really fair to the end of our bench. I have a sneaking suspicion that our players in the final quarter were told to use the full clock before shooting, not to fast break, not to gamble for steals and generally not to show up the other team. If you keep those restrictions in mind, their play looks a bit less sub-standard.
I agree. They walked the ball up and played stagnate half court which I think was instructed. Completely counter to UConn basketball.

Reaction Score

Was at the game and I think it was fairly obvious that this was going on. Geno usually tries to keep our scoring at/under 100pts to limit the embarrassment factor. We could have easily dropped 150-170 pts on Vanguard with full offensive/defensive effort for 4 quarters.

It’s pretty tough for any caliber player to look good when the reins are being pulled back so tightly...

But I do agree that our bench needs to step up this year.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Not arguing that point. He asked,and I answered. But it does not change the fact that the 4th quarter was pretty sad. By design or not, it was not what UConn fans want to see. I like all these kids and want to see them do well. But they were not playing well late in the game. I believe some of them can play well. but it seems that they do not consistently. :(

Reaction Score
Early impressions. If I needed a rebound to win a game, would go with Ono versus Irwin every time. Her quickness lets her get position and she has the long arms, height, and jumping ability to win many battles. She may not have the weight but will be able to outjump most competition once more experience enables her to get to her spot.
Kyla’s boxouts aren’t in the box score, but there were a few rebounds picked off the floor because of her job.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Petty close to 80-15 for the starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom