A couple of points about UConn's next opponent, Ashland | The Boneyard

A couple of points about UConn's next opponent, Ashland

Reaction Score
I wouldn't presume to do an analysis of this team -- others on the Board do it too well, anyway -- but I noticed two things as I cruised around the Internet. First, this is not a big team, with the tallest player at 6'2" and three at 6'1". Second, they lost to Ohio State 110-80. One of those 6'1" players, Laina Snyder, seems to be the big scorer. She got 21 against OSU.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wouldn't presume to do an analysis of this team -- others on the Board do it too well, anyway -- but I noticed two things as I cruised around the Internet. First, this is not a big team, with the tallest player at 6'2" and three at 6'1". Second, they lost to Ohio State 110-80. One of those 6'1" players, Laina Snyder, seems to be the big scorer. She got 21 against OSU.

They are a small team height wise (roster). They are the defending national champions for Division 2 WCBB, and they are ranked #1 in the this year's preseason national poll as well. I expect stiffer competition from them, however I don't not expect them to break 60, in spite of anticipating the bench gets a substantial amount of playing time in this final exhibition game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They are a small team height wise (roster). They are the defending national champions for Division 2 WCBB, and they are ranked #1 in the this year's preseason national poll as well. I expect stiffer competition from them, however I don't not expect them to break 60, in spite of anticipating the bench gets a substantial amount of playing time in this final exhibition game.

If this is the final exhibition game before Stanford, I would think Geno will work with a much shorter bench for most of it..........

Carnac

Reaction Score
If this is the final exhibition game before Stanford, I would think Geno will work with a much shorter bench for most of it.....

I understand your thought.
Substantial to me means no starters play the 4th quarter. Anything they need to work on can be done over 3 quarters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Honestly I'd be surprised to see them break 45-50. Our defense is almost always better than our offense early on, and in spite of the fact that they are #1 in D2,

Just for some perspective, last year against UCONN, #15 Depaul scored 46, #2 Baylor scored 61, 14 Texas scored 46, #2 Notre Dame scored 61. All these were during the first 8 games of the season so the last game in my example was Dec 7. Point being, if we can hold Depaul and Texas to under 50 and Baylor/ND to right around 60, I just can't see a D2 team getting over 45 points against us...

Reaction Score
Substantial to me means no starters play the 4th quarter. Anything they need to work on can be done over 3 quarters.

that could be........................he could play seven or eight the whole way or go thirteen deep in the second half.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
Honestly I'd be surprised to see them break 45-50. Our defense is almost always better than our offense early on, and in spite of the fact that they are #1 in D2,

Just for some perspective, last year against UCONN, #15 Depaul scored 46, #2 Baylor scored 61, 14 Texas scored 46, #2 Notre Dame scored 61. All these were during the first 8 games of the season so the last game in my example was Dec 7. Point being, if we can hold Depaul and Texas to under 50 and Baylor/ND to right around 60, I just can't see a D2 team getting over 45 points against us...

Point taken, I was being kind

Reaction Score
They run good plays. They hit their shots and are close to 90% from the free throw line. I think they look like a slightly shorter version of us. Like we usually look against Texas or Baylor - one thing for certain is that they're aren't going to be playing afraid of us. If they play up to their potential this could be an interesting game.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
If they play up to their potential this could be an interesting game.

Hmmm. I have a lot of respect for DII and DIII athletics. And I am going on Sunday and am sure it will be interesting in many respects. But if it is interesting as in being close, I would be totally shocked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They run good plays. They hit their shots and are close to 90% from the free throw line. I think they look like a slightly shorter version of us. Like we usually look against Texas or Baylor - one thing for certain is that they're aren't going to be playing afraid of us. If they play up to their potential this could be an interesting game.
Point well taken. However, against Baylor and Texas we had better athletes. When Brown could setup she was a load, but in the open court opposing bigs are usually out of breath by the 5 minute mark. I don't think UCONN will wilt.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Recall Geno usually likes the team to have some type of chip on there shoulder going into a competitive matchup to start the season...

Usually picks out that the team defense isnt were he expected it to be at this point...team isnt focusing on staying in front of anybody...etc...etc...

He likes the players to have to work thru some sorta perceived uncertainty in their performance...

Unsure if he will play that card this season or needs too...reports all around are a lot of driven players wanting to improve...residual of last years loss...

I was not impressed with Fort Hayes game...But believe this is a good omen...

Seen us start season not looking impressive and then team identity is discovered, they just separate from the other teams...as they learn how to win in a variety of ways...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom