A couple of Geno quotes after the game | The Boneyard

A couple of Geno quotes after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On having multiple freshman guards:

"They all are very different from each other, in so many ways. I guess that's really good. The trick for every freshman is to find what they're good at and try to maximize that to get them on the floor. That's what's going to get them some playing time. What's going to keep them off the floor is what they struggle with. Each of them have skills that can help them, and each of them have things they need to be careful with. But, its early. I don't think I would feel good about having all three of them in the game at the same time. I don't know if we would be a really good team if we had to do that. If we try different combinations, playing them here and there, maybe if we play them with the right people they can be effective."

On having a wider variety to choose from on the bench:

"I think it could eventually turn out to be really good. Sometimes the more options you have, the less you want to use them because when you have a lot of options, if you're not careful you tend to change your players more frequently. If you have less options, you tend to go with people longer and give them more time. It's going to take some getting used to for our players too. Stewie, Moriah, Kaleena are used to playing thirty-five minutes every night last year, they got accustomed to that and they like it. Now, they're going to have to get used to, maybe, not quite playing that many minutes."

Do you think the "I don't think I would feel good about having all three of them in the game at the same time".
quote was a slip ?

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems like typical Geno freshman speak.

Reaction Score
No I think he was referring to Nurse, Ekmark and Edwards. I'm guessing the "three of them" reference was made while considering Williams a forward.

Reaction Score
No I think he was referring to Nurse, Ekmark and Edwards. I'm guessing the "three of them" reference was made while considering Williams a forward.
Interesting take. My initial thoughts were either a slip of the tongue or he was thinking of the 3 frosh that played the most minutes in yesterday's game.

Reaction Score
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20141102/uconn-freshmen-see-first-action-in-win-over-west-chester

“I guess the trick is to find whatever you are good at and try to maximize that. Each of them has skills that help them, and each of them has things that they need to be careful with. It is early. I don’t think I would feel good if three of them were in the game at the same time, I don’t know if we would beat a really good team with three of them (playing together), but here and there different combinations maybe, if we have them out there with the right people.”

Getting a slightly different quote from linked article... clearly here he is referring to any 3 on the floor at the same time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think what he was referring to is theyre not ready to be out there on their own yet. They are not ingrading into running his system and against lower caliber teams they can out talent them but against good experienced teams they would struggle. Its only one game and a preseason game at that. Take it for what it is and lets see where our freshman are after the trip to Gulf Coast tournament and where they are mid January. We will get a better idea then.

Reaction Score
What he was doing was answering a question that only mentioned Nurse, Williams, and Ekmark.

Reaction Score
When I read the link, I enjoyed Geno's comments a great deal regarding the freshmen but his remarks at the end regarding Lauren Hill got me really choked up. I was so impressed with his overt compassion for this young woman and her strength in handling an impossible situation with so much determination to continue to play this game that she loves for as long as she can despite the effects that her terminal illness have on her abilities. Amazing stuff and worthy of a made for TV movie but all the more special because it's the real deal! I can't imagine how her friends and families are dealing with this courageous kid and the inevitability of her passing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom